Sponsored

Side view mirrors for doors off driving suggestions?

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I had some side view mirrors for my JK that had brackets that bolted to the hinges and I loved them. I just left the brackets on all the time and had a plastic screw I could hand-tighten when I took the doors off. Unfortunately, this will no longer work as the JL doesn't have those same kind of bolts, at least not in a similar configuration. I'm guessing we'll have to use the type that go into the door hanger hinge. I'm not crazy about those because I won't be able to hand tighten them. But, they may have to do.

Any suggestions?

This is what I had on my JK
Screenshot 2018-02-26 16.25.16.jpg

This shows the JL. There are a couple of bolts, but they are pretty far apart. Probably wouldn't want a bracket that big for mirrors.
Screenshot 2018-02-26 16.26.08.jpg
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Won't be long before aftermarket vendors have all kinds of side view mirror offerings for the JL.

OP
OP
smuddy

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Won't be long before aftermarket vendors have all kinds of side view mirror offerings for the JL.
Yup! I guess that's the price we pay for getting a new 1st year model so early! And I'm not complaining! I'd rather "suffer" and have the jeep than have no jeep at all! (though, technically, I'm still jeepless. Sold my 14 JKUR 6 months ago and probably another month before my punk'n JLUR comes in)

JLUColorado

First Name
Ambez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU , 2017 GC Limited
I had some side view mirrors for my JK that had brackets that bolted to the hinges and I loved them. I just left the brackets on all the time and had a plastic screw I could hand-tighten when I took the doors off. Unfortunately, this will no longer work as the JL doesn't have those same kind of bolts, at least not in a similar configuration. I'm guessing we'll have to use the type that go into the door hanger hinge. I'm not crazy about those because I won't be able to hand tighten them. But, they may have to do.

Any suggestions?

This is what I had on my JK
Screenshot 2018-02-26 16.25.16.jpg

This shows the JL. There are a couple of bolts, but they are pretty far apart. Probably wouldn't want a bracket that big for mirrors.
Screenshot 2018-02-26 16.26.08.jpg
I like the look of these, will probably purchase them when I get my hangers/hoist for the garage.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/13111_0401_14.htm

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Im wondering if the Die-Tech brackets from the JK will fit the JL. They are the kind that go on the door hinge. I actually sent them an email today but no response yet.

Sponsored

17FreedomChief

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Freedom Edition in Chief
I picked up some mirrors that insert into the door hinge I think they were JK but they’re doing just fine in my JL
Yeah I believe the Quadratec adventure mirrors should work fine on the JL. That is what I use on my JK now.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Has everyone still been using door hinge drop in mirrors, or has anything else come out?

What's the vibration/wobblying/etc like with the door hinge options?

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I did come across that last night, super cool and so creative - I love so many things about that mod!

That said, I'm more comfortable with a bigger mirror outside the vehicle - I sometimes go doorless on main roads and feel a bit better about having the wider field of view as well as better angle from outside the vehicle.
I hear ya ... I myself buy as new/used Harley Davidson mirrors and adapt them to the door hinge female. Can be had for cheap on eBAY, etc. and look decent. Only take a min. to put on Wrangler when you need them. So, that is an mirror option some should consider.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I hear ya ... I myself buy as new/used Harley Davidson mirrors and adapt them to the door hinge female. Can be had for cheap on eBAY, etc. and look decent. Only take a min. to put on Wrangler when you need them. So, that is an mirror option some should consider.
Right now, that seems like it might be the best option we have. I used the below product on my JK, and it did a good job of not rattling/vibrating too much, etc. I'd love to have something similar (same as @smuddy from the posts above). I guess I'll try to be patient for now.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugg...um&gclid=CPDDgLvom9oCFT2OxQId3s8F1Q&gclsrc=ds

gunnerbambam

First Name
BAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk, Grand Cherokee Limited and Jeep Wrangler JL (Soon)
Not sure if this will work on the JL since I don't have mine yet, but on JK and TJs, inexpensive Harley Davidson mirrors fit perfectly in the door hinge. I used this method on both, and it worked perfectly for driver's side, and just ok for passenger side (a bit hard to see). A longer armed mirror for passenger vs driver's side would have worked great! Didn't require any permanent mods/additions.

Scott1911

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 Door Unicorn

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score