Sponsored

Side view mirrors for doors off driving suggestions?

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
That Carolina Metal Masters one is fantastic! I just installed a convex blind spot mirror on my vent and I’m not nearly as disappointed as I thought I would be. It’s more of a benefit for situational awareness than a true side mirror though, so I’m still looking over my shoulder before changing lanes. Oh well...$5.

132D8270-75FD-4C5E-BE55-D72271F09AA0.jpeg
Sponsored

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Yea, I’ve gotten used to those and they work well but I really miss a real mirror and don’t want to be pulled over.

That Carolina Metal Masters one is fantastic! I just installed a convex blind spot mirror on my vent and I’m not nearly as disappointed as I thought I would be. It’s more of a benefit for situational awareness than a true side mirror though, so I’m still looking over my shoulder before changing lanes. Oh well...$5.

132D8270-75FD-4C5E-BE55-D72271F09AA0.jpeg

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
My mirrors shipped! 4 wheel parts for the win! UPS shows they’ll be here by Wednesday.
And they arrived. Of course, it's too damn cold outside to take my doors off. Hopefully "Indian Summer" will come and I can try them out.

Looks like a super simple design. Genius! They're hefty and appear to be of good quality. Powder coating is done well.

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

I hope the delay wasn't because they were waiting on this fancy ass box!!

I scanned and attached the instructions for anyone interested.

Attachments

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
And they arrived. Of course, it's too damn cold outside to take my doors off. Hopefully "Indian Summer" will come and I can try them out.

Looks like a super simple design. Genius! They're hefty and appear to be of good quality. Powder coating is done well.

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

Awesome! I should have just went with UPS shipping. Hopefully they show up at store this week.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

I ordered the Coyote mirrors from Quadratec at the time assuming a mid September delivery date. Now Quadratec says backorder is another 3 weeks. So I ordered these same mirrors from Amazon and they should arrive tomorrow. I'm going to also keep my Coyote order and see which ones I like better - if the Coyote ones ever show up!! At least for now, I can enjoy the fall weather doorless!

Sponsored

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Got a call earlier that my Rugged Ridge mirrors are in! Now to juggle schedule so I can leave early to pick them up.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carolina Metal Masters. Rock Solid ! Easy on and off when I take the doors on and off. And they make for a good Go Pro mount or cell phone mount in the jeep. I think they look cool also! But they are $$$
Welp, it looks like I will be ordering these in the spring. I really didn't want to pay so much for mirrors, but I just got the Rugged Ridge ones, yesterday, after a ridiculously long backorder (the whole friggin' summer).

Anyway, the weather was nice today so I took off the doors and tried my new mirrors. @Mordin Solus, I hate to tell you, bud, but they suck ass. I'm sending them back. Installation is a PITA, and dialing them in is an even bigger PITA. I spent a good 30 mins setting them up. Of course, once on the road I wanted to make minor adjustments. Ha. Not so easy to do. Either you don't tighten the screws on the back of the mirrors all the way so that you can move them with your hands, or you bring a screwdriver and a friend. How do I know? I went with the former and at 70MPH the mirrors started moving. Eventually my son helped me get them just right, but there's no way I'm doing all that every time I take my doors off.

Oh, and if you don't have someone stand in front of the Jeep telling you "higher, no, lower" like you're hanging a Picasso they look goofy as hell; i.e. if they aren't symmetrically placed it looks bad

The radio antenna also rubs.

If the PITA factor wasn't enough, when I took them off one of the threaded ends of the bracket came out. (It's not supposed to.)

So $250 CMM mirrors here I come...

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Welp, it looks like I will be ordering these in the spring. I really didn't want to pay so much for mirrors, but I just got the Rugged Ridge ones, yesterday, after a ridiculously long backorder (the whole friggin' summer).

Anyway, the weather was nice today so I took off the doors and tried my new mirrors. @Mordin Solus, I hate to tell you, bud, but they suck ass. I'm sending them back. Installation is a PITA, and dialing them in is an even bigger PITA. I spent a good 30 mins setting them up. Of course, once on the road I wanted to make minor adjustments. Ha. Not so easy to do. Either you don't tighten the screws on the back of the mirrors all the way so that you can move them with your hands, or you bring a screwdriver and a friend. How do I know? I went with the former and at 70MPH the mirrors started moving. Eventually my son helped me get them just right, but there's no way I'm doing all that every time I take my doors off.

Oh, and if you don't have someone stand in front of the Jeep telling you "higher, no, lower" like you're hanging a Picasso they look goofy as hell; i.e. if they aren't symmetrically placed it looks bad

The radio antenna also rubs.

If the PITA factor wasn't enough, when I took them off one of the threaded ends of the bracket came out. (It's not supposed to.)

So $250 CMM mirrors here I come...
Welllll.... crap. Have them sitting in the garage now.

The CMM ones look nice but I am not dropping that kind of cash for mirrors. May end up just not bothering with mirrors. Legal here in Texas and being a 2-door no real blind spots

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welllll.... crap. Have them sitting in the garage now.

The CMM ones look nice but I am not dropping that kind of cash for mirrors. May end up just not bothering with mirrors. Legal here in Texas and being a 2-door no real blind spots
You may as well try them. Maybe I’m just persnickety, but I really don’t like them.

Mirrors are also not required here in CT, and I got used to not having them this summer. Even so, I’d much rather drive with some.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
You may as well try them. Maybe I’m just persnickety, but I really don’t like them.

Mirrors are also not required here in CT, and I got used to not having them this summer. Even so, I’d much rather drive with some.
My rugged ridge ones arrived today too from amazon. Was gonna try them this weekend. They sound like a PITA. I kept my coyote order with quadratec so I’ll let that continue. I’ll make these work for now as jersey requires at least driver side

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Posted my rugged ridge for sale in case someone less anal than me wants to roll the dice. I'm only posting them because they're so hard to get. If not sold fast, I'm just going to return them.

Fcmalie

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I know the CMM mirrors are pricey, but they are a solid piece of gear. It also adds a great spot to mount your phone to use for a heads up gps. And a go pro for any off-roading you want on record.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know the CMM mirrors are pricey, but they are a solid piece of gear. It also adds a great spot to mount your phone to use for a heads up gps. And a go pro for any off-roading you want on record.
Do the mounts stay permanently affixed? Or can you easily pop them on and off?

Fcmalie

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Do the mounts stay permanently affixed? Or can you easily pop them on and off?
The phone mount is permanent, the go pro mount is on the end of the rod that the mirror mounts to. The mount replaces the little plastic cap over the grab bar screw.

20180803_093308.jpg

20180803_093249.jpg

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The phone mount is permanent, the go pro mount is on the end of the rod that the mirror mounts to. The mount replaces the little plastic cap over the grab bar screw.

20180803_093308.jpg

20180803_093249.jpg
Thank you!
Sponsored