Side Step Question/Recommendations?

thejill

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I was looking for get some recommendations on some side steps. I previously had the ROAM Offroad Side Armour Steps and LOVED the look. What I didn't love was how quick they were to rust and the issues with the lighting...Wednesday I had them replaced with the Rough Country DS2 Drop Steps. The RC steps do not fit flush to the frame and there is some gapping, despite all the efforts to adjust them. At this point, I am returning the RC steps and I am in search for something else.

Please share your rigs with non-factory side steps/rock rails.

Thanks so much!

Jeep Wrangler JL Side Step Question/Recommendations? jeep before
Sponsored

Twowheels19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 GMC Sierra 8.1, ‘22 JLURD
I was looking at the Roam like you had and the LOD destroyers. What did you end up doing with the Roams that you took off?

jeffbn

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
I went with the Dominator D1 steps for two reasons mainly:
1) it's an actual STEP. It drops down from the door sill unlike most
2) Their still a full length slider. Can't take a ton of stress but still something

cafecito820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
My wife has the Barricade Enhanced Rubi Rails on her JL and really likes them. They're the same shape as the factory Rubicon rails, but with an added tube-step (similar to the Smittybuilt ones shown above). She's had them on for almost a year, and zero rust or any other issues.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
LOD Destroyers. They've been on my Jeep for over 2 years and salty winter roads without being washed, and I haven't seen a single sign of rust. They're not quite as strong as the Signatures, but I wanted something with a dedicated step vs a bare tube for my 4'10.75" wife, as she needs all the help she can get for the climb.

Jeep Wrangler JL Side Step Question/Recommendations? 20220513_105936
Jeep Wrangler JL Side Step Question/Recommendations? 20200720_075130
Jeep Wrangler JL Side Step Question/Recommendations? 1594036353209

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I was looking for get some recommendations on some side steps. I previously had the ROAM Offroad Side Armour Steps and LOVED the look. What I didn't love was how quick they were to rust and the issues with the lighting...Wednesday I had them replaced with the Rough Country DS2 Drop Steps. The RC steps do not fit flush to the frame and there is some gapping, despite all the efforts to adjust them. At this point, I am returning the RC steps and I am in search for something else.

Please share your rigs with non-factory side steps/rock rails.

Thanks so much!

Jeep Wrangler JL Side Step Question/Recommendations? IMG_0531
You could get the Roam steps sandblasted and powder-coated or Linex-d. Then replace the lighting issues. Provided you still have them somewhere. I just ordered the LOD Destroyer sliders for the slider function and step, they look real similar.

morlan52

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
SCADA Engineer
I run the Rock Hard 4X4 Patriot Series Flat Step Sliders and I really like them. They stick out just the right amount to be used as a step and don't impact off road clearance versus stock sliders.

Jeep Wrangler JL Side Step Question/Recommendations? 20210816_190144

Jeep Wrangler JL Side Step Question/Recommendations? 20210513_224236

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I really wanted the Roam steps but they never answered the phone or any emails so I went with LOD Armor Lite steps. They look similar but are probably not as heavy duty as the Roam sliders or the Destroyers.

They work well as steps and I like the look.

Jeep Wrangler JL Side Step Question/Recommendations? IMG_2977

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
These are the Go Rhino Dominator D-6 Sliders/Step. Note the optional Drop steps are removable for full off-road clearance. Go Rino also has a 5 year warranty on the paint finish on thier steps (best i the industry)

Jeep Wrangler JL Side Step Question/Recommendations? maddie jee

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
LOD Destroyers. They've been on my Jeep for over 2 years and salty winter roads without being washed, and I haven't seen a single sign of rust. They're not quite as strong as the Signatures, but I wanted something with a dedicated step vs a bare tube for my 4'10.75" wife, as she needs all the help she can get for the climb.

Great rock rails. I have the same. Did you end up drilling the optional holes through the frame? I have not but had thought about tackling that in the future. Wondered what your experience if so. (Although tonight I finished doing some “step-up drilling” for the ARS katwalk and just swore I’d never drill into metal again 😅😅😅)
Sponsored