Side Mount or Bar Mount Interior Rack?

T43

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I'm looking to fab a custom rack for the cargo area and after looking at the different factory built options I noticed some mount off the side of the jeep using the bolts for the hard top (Fabtech and Hooke) and some mount to the bars (ACE, Rusty's). I like the look of the bar mount racks and the ability to make them more easily height adjustable but I have to wonder how secure they really are. For those of you with side mount racks do you wish they had more height adjustability? If you are running a bar mount rack is it sturdy enough that if it's loaded and you get a little twisted it doesn't flex and bang off the bars?
Sponsored

OP
OP

T43

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I decided to go with a bar mount design. Its been in for a couple weeks. With 50+ lbs on it in off camber situations it does have some lateral flex but so far it hasn't moved enough to touch anywhere. I made it height adjustable but then used the top holes to mount my fire extinguisher. I figured I can spin it off if I need to move it up. I put a 3D printed jeep grill hanger on it to hook the cargo cover handle to and will probably fab a cage set up to keep stuff off the kids in the back seat. So far I haven't decided to change anything else on it.

20190901_141935.jpg