Sponsored

Side Mirrors - Chattering at 35,800 mi. on Odometer

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Well, my 2018 , 2dr. Rubi, JL has about 35,960 mi. on it as of today. Have had the JL since May 2018.

At about 35,800 miles, I started hearing the fairly loud, persistent rattling, chattering noise, and it seemed to be originating from the inside of both driver and passenger front doors. This noise just appeared out of the blue so to speak. I noticed it first on the driver's door and then I soon realized the problem was on both sides.

Rattles, squeaks and stuff get to me, so I listened and listened until I found the issue.

Well, the side view mirrors are made up of two distinctive separate, pieces of plastic. They are press fit together in some manner.

Anyway, must be over time and with many miles accrued, the two pieces stop clinging real tightly together lets say.

Most of the miles on my JL are at interstate speeds. I travel interstate very often, so maybe that encouraged this.

So, what the heck was I to do about the rattling / chattering that was quite bad. You could hear more when windows were open but even hear it with the windows closed. Well, I knew the dealer would be clueless and say intermittent or whatever.

Anyway the fix......... and the fix did the job... noise eliminated.!

I used two plastic spudger's (Google Spudger) working with them in unison, to spread the seams on each mirror. Then while they were spread, I carefully placed a bead of Gorilla Glue in the seams. Pulled spudger's out and the glue quickly dried. Mirror pieces were firmly held together now...

End of story, no more rattle / chatter. So, if you ever hear the rattle / chatter coming from the door region, remember this post. IF you hear it, take black tape and put a couple of winds tightly around you side mirror(s) to see if you have the same issue I had. If so, you can glue as I did.

Caveat: Careful placing of Super Glue. It can really make a mess out of your black plastic mirror if you get it anywhere but directly in the seam.. No, I did not make a mess..

On edit 2/23/24... I have driven over 80,000 with the fix mentioned and mirror(s) noise/chatter has not come back...

Not my side mirrors in the pics below ... but for your reference.... here are pics of side mirrors pried open a bit at seam and split open..

Jeep Wrangler JL Side Mirrors - Chattering at 35,800 mi. on Odometer mirrorspread

Jeep Wrangler JL Side Mirrors - Chattering at 35,800 mi. on Odometer mirrorspread2
Sponsored

Last edited:

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting this. Mine has started doing the same thing. now I have a fix.