First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Occupation
Dad
Before I bought my Jeep, I measured the back to verify that my dog crates would fit. Turns out I took bad measurements. My wife and I looked online for reasonably priced crates that would fit to no avail. This is why I love Wranglers. There is a unique solution to my unique problem. I have built one of two crates sized to use all the floor space and slope with the rear seat. This is still a work in progress, but I am uber stoked about it so far.

2A4AD298-10D8-4DDA-8EE1-CC6B236E9D87.jpeg
Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Looks like a good solution. Did you use normal pine or pressure-treated wood? It looks like you used deck railing but based on the color it is hard to tell. If PT, I would be concerned about the dogs licking or chewing on the wood inside the crate. Even with modern PT there are risks for pets ingesting the chemicals.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Occupation
Dad
Looks like a good solution. Did you use normal pine or pressure-treated wood? It looks like you used deck railing but based on the color it is hard to tell. If PT, I would be concerned about the dogs licking or chewing on the wood inside the crate. Even with modern PT there are risks for pets ingesting the chemicals.
I stayed away from pressure treated for those reasons. I found these 42” pieces at Lowes for considerably cheaper than other 2x2 stuff.

Wood is not my medium of choice, so I am not well versed with it. I just wondered around Lowes for a while until I found material that looked like it would suit my needs.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
There are a number of custom kennel makers. I had some work done by Ainley Kennels in Dubuque Iowa. They build to your specs out of aluminum. In my case, I wanted some drawers to lay in my pickup bed. I bought them about a dozen years ago and 3 trucks ago. I still have them in my current truck.

VWE

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 JLUR, ‘06 LX 100-series
There are a number of custom kennel makers. I had some work done by Ainley Kennels in Dubuque Iowa. They build to your specs out of aluminum. In my case, I wanted some drawers to lay in my pickup bed. I bought them about a dozen years ago and 3 trucks ago. I still have them in my current truck.
Ainley, Deerskin, and Mountain Top were the top tier a few years ago. None of them are cheap, but you will get a great product.

A lab about 70lbs would need a 36” hole, I think the back of the Jeep is 32” ircc. A custom side entry would be pricey.
Sponsored