Side Air Bags are Standard for 2018 Wrangler

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I bet all it will be is the same side airbag you can get as an option now. I personally don't want them as it will become even harder to justify driving on the road without doors or with just half doors.

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Something curious - dealers can now order 2018 JKs and the side airbag is still optional (not required). These are vehicles that will be shipped after 9/1.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Something curious - dealers can now order 2018 JKs and the side airbag is still optional (not required). These are vehicles that will be shipped after 9/1.
Yeah, I have a feeling the exemption mentioned in the federalregister.gov document on the first page was approved for the Wrangler. Which would make sense for an EOL vehicle and not one with an extended life.

I was skeptical, but couldn't find any follow-up regarding exemptions, just a mention in there about the prior ones and process.

They are standard already on export 2017 Wranglers. As seen in the recently release Australian buyer's guide. (bottom left page 3)

http://www.jeep.com.au/brochures/model-specs-wrangler-unlimited.pdf

The Doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler Unlimited, Future JT Pickup (hopefully)
Did they raise prices on export 2017 Wranglers as a result? I didn't see the exemption for end of life vehicles in the first post. Did I miss it?

Sponsored

Goin' Coastal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU wishes
I bet all it will be is the same side airbag you can get as an option now. I personally don't want them as it will become even harder to justify driving on the road without doors or with just half doors.
How? They are in the seat bolsters.

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have to say this...I wouldn't be here typing this if it weren't for side airbags and seat belts. I got wiped out by an Econoline (vs. my Focus) in Jan when the other driver ran a stop sign and destroyed me and my car. Not fully healed up to this day (just had cervical surgery a couple of weeks ago), but at least I'm alive where the other driver isn't. They work, and I'm glad that we'll get 'em...

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have a good friend who is an ER doc. He special ordered his JKU last year and got the side airbags. He's seen enough that he wasn't going to get a car without them. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want them. It may be a small set of conditions where it saves your life (or your family's) but it only takes once.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The Safety Features that are coming out on the JL are the main attraction , as said, only have to need it once...
In particular, the improved "exoskeleton" for Roll Over protection. The side curtain air bags will probably be mounted on the upper side rail, to protect heads from the dreaded "T Bone " and rollover. ..
The old CJs, YJs, TJs were fun, simple, but were death traps compared to the JK. The JL continues this trend.
Do you think vehicles would be as safe, if not for Federal Mandates ?
Tech is great, but you still have to deal with idiot drivers , so anything that stacks the deck in my favor is welcomed.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
You read enough of these forums and you will see the following exchange:

"Guys - my wife doesn't want me to get a Wrangler because she says they aren't safe. Is that really true?"

Response - "Tell her you changed your mind and decided to get a Harley instead. She will drive you to the Jeep dealer herself!"

Gavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: Subaru Forester, Toyota Prado, soon JL Wrangler?
I had a Harley, and since selling it, I've been able to justify anything instead of a new one, from yacht to sports car... Each one has been the "Harley replacement", and 2 door Wranger will be the next!

Goin' Coastal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU wishes
I'm guessing you aren't old enough to remember when car makers fought against integrated shoulder and lab belts.

Goin' Coastal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU wishes
I had a Harley, and since selling it, I've been able to justify anything instead of a new one, from yacht to sports car... Each one has been the "Harley replacement", and 2 door Wranger will be the next!
If you look up the difference in fatalities stats between a 2 and 4 door Wrangler you might not want a 2 door as a daily driver.
Sponsored