First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Any suggestions for getting shine product spatter off the black fenders? I just picked up my '21 2-door on Saturday and the dealer's detail shop was a little aggressive with the tire shine product and now I have splatter marks on the fenders. Soap and water didn't work and I'm worried about damaging the plastic with something harsh.
Try isopropyl alcohol followed by a wash with mild soap and water. The alcohol will also strip wax from painted surfaces so if you have waxed the painted body parts and want to keep it don’t get the alcohol on them or you’ll need to reapply the wax.

Make sure the tire dressing is no longer slinging or you’ll have to do it all over again.

If you can’t get the marks off, you could hide them by using Chemical Guys Black on Black on the black fenders.
Sponsored

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT
Try isopropyl alcohol followed by a wash with mild soap and water. The alcohol will also strip wax from painted surfaces so if you have waxed the painted body parts and want to keep it don’t get the alcohol on them or you’ll need to reapply the wax.

Make sure the tire dressing is no longer slinging or you’ll have to do it all over again.

If you can’t get the marks off, you could hide them by using Chemical Guys Black on Black on the black fenders.
Thanks, I'll try that. The dealer recommended Windex. I wonder if distilled white vinegar might do the trick too since it's a pretty good and gentle degreaser/cleaner. I'll spot test a few things and see how it goes.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thanks, I'll try that. The dealer recommended Windex. I wonder if distilled white vinegar might do the trick too since it's a pretty good and gentle degreaser/cleaner. I'll spot test a few things and see how it goes.
The distilled white vinegar is another good option. It strips wax too, and as it’s mildly acidic it should be washed off with soap and water when you finish. I wouldn’t use Windex as it contains ammonia which I don’t suggest on your plastic fenders. If you do, wash it off thoroughly afterward just like the other products.
Good luck.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I just picked up my '21 2-door on Saturday and the dealer's detail shop was a little aggressive with the tire shine product
take it back to the dealer and make them clean it up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Luckily when I do get sling it comes right off on the next wash.
I washed my Jeep yesterday. The first new one I want to try is the Tuf Shine cleaner and applicant. This one was recommended by Chocolate Thunder (thank you buddy).
The only problem was it was 34 degrees here in NYC yesterday. The directions say it should be at least 50 degrees. I want to wait for the right conditions.
I put on the Meguires one from the Auto parts store. This time I put it on lightly and spread it out with a sponge. I’m doing a 20 mile drive this morning so I’ll let you guys know how it worked out.

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT
The distilled white vinegar is another good option. It strips wax too, and as it’s mildly acidic it should be washed off with soap and water when you finish. I wouldn’t use Windex as it contains ammonia which I don’t suggest on your plastic fenders. If you do, wash it off thoroughly afterward just like the other products.
Good luck.
I'm happy to report that a little Dawn on a dry rag with some elbow grease removed the tire shine sling from the black plastic fenders. Gave it its first hand wash after and it's as good as new, which is good since it's less than a week old.

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Update, I washed the Jeep this past week and due to cold weather I used McGuires tire shine in stead of Tuf Shine Which seems to be a more professional product.
I sprayed it on sparingly and spread it with a sponge applicator.
No sling at all

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon 2dr ,2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr
I don’t use tire shine dressing on my tires, just makes the tires dirtier sooner, Castrol super clean makes the rubber look good, easier to clean the next time, I do apply a little 303 protectant to the plastic inner fender liners, makes them easier to clean and restores the color. I hate when I see vehicles on dealer lots slathered with goo because someone thinks it looks good.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL

Sponsored

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I’ve tried Gels, I’ve tried foam and all kinds of tire wet sprays. Even if I put them on and park the Jeep for the night so it can completely dry I still get that annoying sling on my rear fenders.
I’m not putting on anything anymore. Unless someone knows of a product that doesn’t sling.
I found the best way to avoid the slop over "underspray". I "Tire Black" its cheap but heres the catch. I pressure wash my tires and get all the crap off them. The I take a pad that is actually made for waxing, its a spongy little thing. I spray the Tire Black on the sponge and go around every nook and cranny on the tire. Its a pain in the ass but it hides those rock scrapes and and doesn't flip all over. Dont spray the Tire Black on your tires, it puts way too much on.... Let me know how it works. Works great for me.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I do not use any tire shine, once you put this crap on you will have to continue using it for the life of the tire. I use plain old car washing soap and a brush to clean the tires. Yes they have scuffs from off roading, but they do not collect dirt or dust everytime I wheel in the dirt. Just my two cents.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sick of tire shine products E16ACBA0-2570-4AE5-8BF1-CF1519883092

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a big 303 fan, used it on boat seats and many other tires for years, truly does a great job of "protecting" the rubber and vinyl from UV and elements.....however, after first off-road trip with our new Jeep, I think I'll be going "au naturel" from here on out.....unless my OCD kicks in and I apply some 303 every once in awhile for those in town trips.... :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Sick of tire shine products IMG_1783

Jeep Wrangler JL Sick of tire shine products IMG_1773

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I do not use any tire shine, once you put this crap on you will have to continue using it for the life of the tire. I use plain old car washing soap and a brush to clean the tires. Yes they have scuffs from off roading, but they do not collect dirt or dust everytime I wheel in the dirt. Just my two cents.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sick of tire shine products IMG_1773
I would agree, this is my new Jeep. My last Jeep was a little soap, cleanser, and elbow grease.

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
All tires look better natural.
Sponsored