Sick of tire shine products

Modeldude

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Bro I have to agree...... I love taking mine off road just love it... but.... when I am on the road, just got to look good as it can...... just frustrated now I had to relocate to Atlanta right after coming back from South Dakota and I have all kind of pinstripes I just have to get off just doesn't look right on the road.... she needs to be shiny and pretty.... :LOL:..... but it is very expensive to keep the tires sprayed up so most times I just clean them....
I agree too, I even keep the frame and wheel wells clean! Being 50, it also counts as exercise that day. :)
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I wash mine with mud.

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport; 2014 Grand Cherokee Ltd
I love having a clean vehicle - just not a fan of shiny sidewalls is all. I prefer the original "new" tire look - preferably with (clean) white or outline letters.

Sponsored

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
this is what i use as well
Yeah, I can't stand shiny tires. I like a clean vehicle and that includes tires, but it has to be satin or matte finish for me. I'm going to give the Chemical Guys product a try.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not a shinny wheel fan personally. Is there a cleaner you like best that takes the brown off?
this is all I have used for months, I wet the tire down with water then spray on the mothers and spr it with a damp sponge and let it sit a few minutes then rinse well and the tires are pretty black with no browning left and i just dry the wheels while I’m drying the rest of the Jeep and I apply no tire shine or gel, the tire do have a matte sheen to them but it’s not from any dressing

Jeep Wrangler JL Sick of tire shine products 932A06F3-D252-4483-A51E-8274A4221612

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I still have an old stockpile of multiple brands and I will likely have it a lot longer so it’ll be trashed. I “might” use some for a particularly special occasion like a photo shoot or maybe someday, a show but otherwise a brush and high pressure soap is it for the clean rubber look.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I prefer just soap and water. Many many years ago I worked at a tire shop and we were told that most products will dry the tire out causing premature wear. Granted this was very long ago so todays products have likely evolved. Old habits still are hard to break...

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I prefer just soap and water. Many many years ago I worked at a tire shop and we were told that most products will dry the tire out causing premature wear. Granted this was very long ago so todays products have likely evolved. Old habits still are hard to break...
Nope, that still holds true. Anything with petroleum distillates or silicone is bad for the rubber. Any product that leaves the rubber brown after a while is bad for the rubber.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, that still holds true. Anything with petroleum distillates or silicone is bad for the rubber. Any product that leaves the rubber brown after a while is bad for the rubber.
this is why I use nothing other than the Mothers cleaner and rinse well.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
So you're saying all the mud on my tires isn't very good for my tires? When I run in clay and it leave my tires brown or red or whatever color the clay is, that's bad for my tires? :facepalm: wow I better get back to the mall....

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Mother Nature is my choice.

This is pretty much the cleanest my tires get. Love the look, love the effort it takes to get them this way and love everything about how it makes the personality of my JL. It's in it's element.

For the record I take just as much pride in my Jeep as anyone does theirs. Shiny, squeaky clean rubber would last me the length of my driveway. I would very happily drive this in either my faded holy jeans and T-shirt as going to my Daughter's Wedding in a Tux.

Artificially shiny tires is not my 'cup of tea'. It's more natural appearance 'looks like how I drive it' appeals (to me) way more than the initial showroom floor presentation. I'm not only just proud of my Jeep itself, but how I use it and most importantly, where I go with it.

It certainly gets spiffed up and taken care of, my Fuel Ammo Anthracite wheels are regularly shined to a high gloss. But the rubber is perfectly attractive with it's Colorado mountain and Front Range shean.

Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL Sick of tire shine products IMG_20201021_092711

Jeep Wrangler JL Sick of tire shine products IMG_20201021_092731

Jeep Wrangler JL Sick of tire shine products IMG_20201021_092800

P.S. This is the more typical look:

Jeep Wrangler JL Sick of tire shine products IMG_20200801_200022

Last edited:
OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Thank God my wife doesn’t drive my Jeep or I’d have a different coating.....what color was the curb she parked next to.
Sponsored