Sponsored

shut off while in Drive, wont start or shift into Park.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@BillG

I have heard guys say you can do this but have never found myself in a position to try this "trick".
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
@BillG

I have heard guys say you can do this but have never found myself in a position to try this "trick".
It works best if you have permanently mounted a plug for the charger connection. Otherwise your posts are too busy. It lets the charger read enough voltage to begin. Otherwise, as you stated, it will never charge.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BillG

I have a quick disconnect that runs from the internally, from the battery and exits in the passenger wheel well.

Have this so I can trickle charge whenever, without having the hood open.

This allows me to also remote start, even when battery is trickle charging.

Hope I never have to use the "trick" we are aware of.

I have this flying in the JL's cab when I am trickle charging. Keeps me from driving off with the friggin trickle charger attached. 8-)
flight.jpg

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BillG

I have a quick disconnect that runs from the internally, from the battery and exits in the passenger wheel well.

Have this so I can trickle charge whenever, without having the hood open.

This allows me to also remote start, even when battery is trickle charging.

Hope I never have to use the "trick" we are aware of.

I have this flying in the JL's cab when I am trickle charging. Keeps me from driving off with the friggin trickle charger attached. 8-)
flight.jpg
I thought that was to remind you of your Sunrider latches?:giggle:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I checked the Jeep this afternoon with a muti tester and with the Jeep off I got a reading of a little over 14(volts?) I then started the Jeep and ran into town and back, about 20 miles. I stopped a couple of places and the Jeep started right up after each stop.
When I got back home, I put the battey tender back on and it’s been charging all afternoon without going into the storage phase yet. I’m starting to wonder if this battery will ever be fully charged.
BTW, I do cary jumper cables in all my vehicles.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
“You can trick a battery tender by hooking up booster cables to a completely dead battery, then hooking up the battery tender. It will get a reading through the cables and start. You can then remove booster cables and depleted battery will continue charging.”

Exactly what does this look like? Do you hook the tender cables to the battery posts along with the jumper cables or do you hook the tender to the jumper cable ends that aren’t connected to the battery or is there another battery involved too?
I’m confused. A drawing would help.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@marjamr

Seeing your JL has enough oomph to start the JL , then it has enough 12v whereas the Battery Tender will indeed trickle charge it.

You can expect a Deltran 1.25 amp, Battery Tender Plus to take about 15 hours or so to charge the two batteries on your JL.. It will take a tad longer if you are running a .75 amp, Deltran Battery Junior.

Do know that each time you strart the JL, you will restart that 15 hr., I mentioned...

Put it on the trickle charger.... do not use the vehicle and check it in the AM tomorrow.

By the way... you do know the JL has two 12v batteries, right?

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
“You can trick a battery tender by hooking up booster cables to a completely dead battery, then hooking up the battery tender. It will get a reading through the cables and start. You can then remove booster cables and depleted battery will continue charging.”

Exactly what does this look like? Do you hook the tender cables to the battery posts along with the jumper cables or do you hook the tender to the jumper cable ends that aren’t connected to the battery or is there another battery involved too?
I’m confused. A drawing would help.
I’m not great at explaining things. A battery tender style charger has to have a certain reading to ever actually turn on. A dead or severely depleted battery won’t show this reading.
If you have mounted a quick connect plug in for the charger, it works best. Hook up dead or depleted battery normally with booster cables, then plug in charger. Charger will read the two connected batteries as one source, and get it’s reading to start charging. You then disconnect booster cables. Battery tender will continue working.
It just needs a certain reading to start it’s charging cycle,
You can always just hook up charger, then touch booster cables that are hooked up to a good battery to the dead battery posts a few seconds, and charger will get its reading, but that way has so much stuff getting attached to the dead battery that it’s not easy to find room. Hope that helps you somewhat.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
@marjamr

Seeing your JL has enough oomph to start the JL , then it has enough 12v whereas the Battery Tender will indeed trickle charge it.

You can expect a Deltran 1.25 amp, Battery Tender Plus to take about 15 hours or so to charge the two batteries on your JL.. It will take a tad longer if you are running a .75 amp, Deltran Battery Junior.

Do know that each time you strart the JL, you will restart that 15 hr., I mentioned...

Put it on the trickle charger.... do not use the vehicle and check it in the AM tomorrow.

By the way... you do know the JL has two 12v batteries, right?

I do know the Jeep has two batteries. I did not know the 15 time frame starts over every time the Jeep is restarted. Thanks for that info.
I am using the 1.25 amp Detran tender.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do know the Jeep has two batteries. I did not know the 15 time frame starts over every time the Jeep is restarted. Thanks for that info.
I am using the 1.25 amp Detran tender.
@marjamr

To explain a bit more.... IF you disconnect the Battery Tender Plus, yes the clock kinda starts over..

I'm not saying if you charged say for 10 hrs., disconnected before the charger has not gone green, that you will need to recharge for the full say 15 hrs.... You will just see that the charger will take a lot longer though then if you had just put it to work and did not disconnect until the light turns green.

The Deltran Battery Tender Plus 1.25 amp is a very decent unit. I have 3 of them.

IceInfusion

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
A battery jump pack will work. I did the same thing to my JL this weekend. Battery was deader than a doornail. My 8000 amp potable jump pack started it right up. Charging it with the battery tender is another story. I put the tender on it for over 20 hours and it barely charged it. Had to put a 10 amp manual charger on it for two hours and then put the tender back on. After another night on the tender it is fanally charged.
What battery jump pack we’re you using?

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO
@marjamr

To explain a bit more.... IF you disconnect the Battery Tender Plus, yes the clock kinda starts over..

I'm not saying if you charged say for 10 hrs., disconnected before the charger has not gone green, that you will need to recharge for the full say 15 hrs.... You will just see that the charger will take a lot longer though then if you had just put it to work and did not disconnect until the light turns green.

The Deltran Battery Tender Plus 1.25 amp is a very decent unit. I have 3 of them.

I found my JL after work completely dead at my work garage. No electrical at all and for some reason the transmission is shifted into Drive position, thankfully I always use my e brake. What should be my approach with it? Get a Battery tender and let it charge for a day? I can't even get it towed due to low height clearance in the parking garage, the Jl Rubicon stock height barely clears. thanks for help.

Angie

First Name
Angie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
@buckscop

Doing as you did left the JL in accessory mode, all night, and your battery(s) is depleted.

You can try to jump start using battery cables. Hook battery cables up between your vehicle and another... let it sit for say 5 minutes like this and then attempt to start the JL. Do not use a battery jump pack as it may not do the job, use battery jumper cables.

This hopefully, will get the JL running so you can get it into park and turned off properly.

Once turned off properly, you will need to hook up a battery trickle charger to the JL, and let the Jl charge until the trickle charger indicates the battery(s) is charged.

Do the aforementioned and hopefully all will be aok and no damage to battery(s) thanks to you leaving the vehicle in acc mode all night.

[/QUOTE

This same thing has happened to us but we can't even jump start this gladiator. Any suggestions.
My husband hooked to a battery charge
@buckscop

Doing as you did left the JL in accessory mode, all night, and your battery(s) is depleted.

You can try to jump start using battery cables. Hook battery cables up between your vehicle and another... let it sit for say 5 minutes like this and then attempt to start the JL. Do not use a battery jump pack as it may not do the job, use battery jumper cables.

This hopefully, will get the JL running so you can get it into park and turned off properly.

Once turned off properly, you will need to hook up a battery trickle charger to the JL, and let the Jl charge until the trickle charger indicates the battery(s) is charged.

Do the aforementioned and hopefully all will be aok and no damage to battery(s) thanks to you leaving the vehicle in acc mode all night.

This same thing has happened to us but we can't even jump start this gladiator. Any suggestions.
My husband hooked to a battery charge for hours and nothing !!

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I'm resurrecting this old thread because I'm seeing more post's reporting batteries going dead in parked jeeps and suspect some may be due to this issue.
Sponsored