Sponsored

shut off while in Drive, wont start or shift into Park.

buckscop

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jku Sahara, Firecracker Red, Safety gp, Soft top only, 8" Nav, LED's, V6, 8 speed auto, ordered 9/28, received 12/13
Occupation
Retired (LEO)
'19 Sahara keyless, shut off while in Drive. walked away. Now still in Drive, shifter wont move, wont start or even show ACC. No dash info either, blank screen. Any ideas??
Sponsored

Last edited:

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk

Manual park release should get ya into neutral and restart

OP
OP
buckscop

buckscop

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jku Sahara, Firecracker Red, Safety gp, Soft top only, 8" Nav, LED's, V6, 8 speed auto, ordered 9/28, received 12/13
Occupation
Retired (LEO)
Did not try this yet. There are no electrical indicators presently showing on the jeep, as in this video he still had his dash info displayed. I have nothing, no lights, no brake lights, key fob doesnt work. Is this normal?? If I pull the lever, I may get neutral (for towing), but will it restart??

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Is your Jeep in a safe place?

Also, what do you mean by "shut off while in drive"? Did you stop the jeep or did it die?

OP
OP
buckscop

buckscop

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired (LEO)
Is your Jeep in a safe place?

Also, what do you mean by "shut off while in drive"? Did you stop the jeep or did it die?
Well, I found it in drive when I got in this morning, so I assume I left it in drive and walked away from it. Suposedly the jeep will shut off if in drive and the door is opened and no foot on the brake.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Oh. your battery is dead as hell.

Edit: batteries* are dead as hell. Get a charger and put in on for a few hours.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@buckscop

Doing as you did left the JL in accessory mode, all night, and your battery(s) is depleted.

You can try to jump start using battery cables. Hook battery cables up between your vehicle and another... let it sit for say 5 minutes like this and then attempt to start the JL. Do not use a battery jump pack as it may not do the job, use battery jumper cables.

This hopefully, will get the JL running so you can get it into park and turned off properly.

Once turned off properly, you will need to hook up a battery trickle charger to the JL, and let the Jl charge until the trickle charger indicates the battery(s) is charged.

Do the aforementioned and hopefully all will be aok and no damage to battery(s) thanks to you leaving the vehicle in acc mode all night.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@buckscop

From the JL Manual;

“STARTING AND OPERATING 307
If the gear selector is not in PARK (with vehicle stopped) and the ENGINE START/STOP button is pushed once, the transmission will automatically select PARK and the engine will turn off, however the ignition will remain in the ACC mode (NOT the OFF mode). Never leave a vehicle out of the PARK position, or it could roll.”

OP
OP
buckscop

buckscop

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired (LEO)
FIXED. The no electronic was a completely dead battery, 4 mos old, 500 miles. However, according to my mechanic, even thought it is meant to shut off if not in park, and no foot on brake and/or door open, the ACC is still on. I left the jeep at 3pm yesterday afternoon, and didnt go back to it until 9ish this morning. So, overnight ACC on killed the battery. Hooking up the battery jumper brought the electronics back to life, and I was able to put in park.

Thanks all for your help.

OP
OP
buckscop

buckscop

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired (LEO)
@Rhinebeck01, didnt see you post until just now, you were right on the money. Wish you were the first reply!!!! LOL. Thanks

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01, didnt see you post until just now, you were right on the money. Wish you were the first reply!!!! LOL. Thanks
@buckscop

I'm right 99 9/10th % of the time... 8-)

Now... do know you MUST trickle charge that JL as I mentioned or, there is a good chance you will be having an issue related to depleted battery(s) that will rear it's head in a day or so.

Your JL's alternator, even if you drive lots today, etc. will not bring the battery(s) up enough 12v wise.

Go to Harbor Freight, etc. and pickup a cheapie battery float charger and get that JL on the float charger until it indicates the battery(s) is charged.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
@buckscop

Doing as you did left the JL in accessory mode, all night, and your battery(s) is depleted.

You can try to jump start using battery cables. Hook battery cables up between your vehicle and another... let it sit for say 5 minutes like this and then attempt to start the JL. Do not use a battery jump pack as it may not do the job, use battery jumper cables.

This hopefully, will get the JL running so you can get it into park and turned off properly.

Once turned off properly, you will need to hook up a battery trickle charger to the JL, and let the Jl charge until the trickle charger indicates the battery(s) is charged.

Do the aforementioned and hopefully all will be aok and no damage to battery(s) thanks to you leaving the vehicle in acc mode all night.

A battery jump pack will work. I did the same thing to my JL this weekend. Battery was deader than a doornail. My 8000 amp potable jump pack started it right up. Charging it with the battery tender is another story. I put the tender on it for over 20 hours and it barely charged it. Had to put a 10 amp manual charger on it for two hours and then put the tender back on. After another night on the tender it is fanally charged.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@marjamr

In the last 12 months, here, no one has had success when using a "jumper pack" until a day ago, and that apparently was you.

It is quite unusual to have a "jumper pack" that can get the job done so to speak. You are the first to have posted success with a "jumper pack"

In regard to your Battery Tender... a Deltran Battery Tender, will not and cannot charge a dead/ totally depleted battery. You could leave the Battery Tender, hooked up for a friggin week and the logic of the Battery Tender, will not allow it to function/to charge a dead battery. Severely depleted battery it will charge, but not a dead / totally depleted battery.

With that said you were very lucky to have seen the "jumper pack" do the job. Other's should not expcct to be as lucky.. sure, they may be but... but still best bet, is to have/use battery jumper cables.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
@marjamr

In the last 12 months, here, no one has had success when using a "jumper pack" until a day ago, and that apparently was you.

It is quite unusual to have a "jumper pack" that can get the job done so to speak. You are the first to have posted success with a "jumper pack"

In regard to your Battery Tender... a Deltran Battery Tender, will not and cannot charge a dead/ totally depleted battery. You could leave the Battery Tender, hooked up for a friggin week and the logic of the Battery Tender, will not allow it to function/to charge a dead battery. Severely depleted battery it will charge, but not a dead / totally depleted battery.

With that said you were very lucky to have seen the "jumper pack" do the job. Other's should not expcct to be as lucky.. sure, they may be but... but still best bet, is to have/use battery jumper cables.

You can trick a battery tender by hooking up booster cables to a completely dead battery, then hooking up the battery tender. It will get a reading through the cables and start. You can then remove booster cables and depleted battery will continue charging.
Sponsored