Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

Feel into a v notch twice yesterday and trying to get back out I heard a snapping/ Kachunk a couple times then 4x4 was no longer a thing. I had to be winched back and it seemed to be in 4x4 reversing down some obstacles but when I went to cut it sharp to drive out the snapping noise occurred again and then there was for sure no 4x4. Driving in 2 wheel drive had no issues.

I've never shredded gears before but always assumed it would be more of a rattling noise with all the small metal pieces vibrating around. Before pulling it apart is there any way to know if it's one or the other

I daily my jeep so I'll still be going back and forth from work so if there is a way I could tell I'll order the part first then only have to pull it apart once.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Feel into a v notch twice yesterday and trying to get back out I heard a snapping/ Kachunk a couple times then 4x4 was no longer a thing. I had to be winched back and it seemed to be in 4x4 reversing down some obstacles but when I went to cut it sharp to drive out the snapping noise occurred again and then there was for sure no 4x4. Driving in 2 wheel drive had no issues.

I've never shredded gears before but always assumed it would be more of a rattling noise with all the small metal pieces vibrating around. Before pulling it apart is there any way to know if it's one or the other

I daily my jeep so I'll still be going back and forth from work so if there is a way I could tell I'll order the part first then only have to pull it apart once.
You can put it in 4H, jack it up, pull the axle cover, and spin the tires to see what is happening.

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
You'll want to find out what is wrong ASAP. If it's an axle shafts, all the junk from the shaft is going through your diff and bearings. It can easily require you to do a gear swap due to the debris.
With a gear failure the collateral damage isn't usually as bad however I have seen diffs lock up and take out the t-case and/or driveshaft.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Have you put eyes on the shafts at the knuckles?

Why are we all assuming worst case zebra stuff? You probably snapped a u-joint and subsequently destroyed the ears on one or both shafts.

Look for the most common stuff first.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

Have you put eyes on the shafts at the knuckles?

Why are we all assuming worst case zebra stuff? You probably snapped a u-joint and subsequently destroyed the ears on one or both shafts.

Look for the most common stuff first.
I don't know what zebra stuff is. There is no visible damage. I'm trying to avoid pulling it apart twice. If you have any info on how to decifer what part/ parts need to be ordered without pulling it apart that would be appreciated.

The u joint and ear was brought up to me by a friend and is the area where the snapping noise came from.

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I don't know what zebra stuff is. There is no visible damage. I'm trying to avoid pulling it apart twice. If you have any info on how to decifer what part/ parts need to be ordered without pulling it apart that would be appreciated.

The u joint and ear was brought up to me by a friend and is the area where the snapping noise came from.
I think it's a reference to an old medical adage; something like "when you hear hoof-steps think horses not zebras" basically meaning, don't over think it, it's likely the most obvious culprit.

I'll let someone more qualified help you with diagnostics, but I do believe I would be doing some investigating before daily driving the way it is.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
you need to inspect it to figure out what is wrong, inspect the u joints lift the front off the ground see if you can get a better idea by spinning the tires freely, pull diff cover see whats missing, pull hte shafts see what comes out

you really dont want to drive it until its fixed it will make the problem worse for you

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

This is pretty basic 101 stuff. If it happened when your front wheels were turned all the way, a front axle shaft u-joint most likely has failed, big time. You can see the u-joint because Wranglers have open style knuckles. Turn the front wheels all the way, get down and dirty for a look. This video starts by showing an inspection of a u-joint that is worn out, your issue will be easier to see...

Sounds to me you drove it home in 2wd. You could do that if the axle has broken into two sections. I would not drive it any further.
This is the type of answer I was looking for. I'll check it out later today and see what I find. Thanks.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

This is pretty basic 101 stuff. If it happened when your front wheels were turned all the way, a front axle shaft u-joint most likely has failed, big time. You can see the u-joint because Wranglers have open style knuckles. Turn the front wheels all the way, get down and dirty for a look. This video starts by showing an inspection of a u-joint that is worn out, your issue will be easier to see...

Sounds to me you drove it home in 2wd. You could do that if the axle has broken into two sections. I would not drive it any further.
Checked it out. No visible damage to the ujoint and no play when I jack it up and spin the tire. I did find that the front drive shaft spins freely in both directions but will occasionally get hung when rotating to the right to the point where I have to rotate into the left a few times to spin it back again with no resistance to the right.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Checked it out. No visible damage to the ujoint and no play when I jack it up and spin the tire. I did find that the front drive shaft spins freely in both directions but will occasionally get hung when rotating to the right to the point where I have to rotate into the left a few times to spin it back again with no resistance to the right.
Pull the cover--you will only be able to assume what is wrong until you do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

Followup:

Upon original inalienable it was the slider gears. I ordered new gears for $103 from yon but once I pulled the diff I noticed the pinion was damaged. Time to do the full regear I guess

20211011_104459.jpg

20211011_100557.jpg

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Followup:

Upon original inalienable it was the slider gears. I ordered new gears for $103 from yon but once I pulled the diff I noticed the pinion was damaged. Time to do the full regear I guess

Jeep Wrangler JL Shredded Gears or broken Axle Shaft 20211011_100557

Bummer, but at least you get new gears.

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
Followup:

I kinda figured that would be it. Glad there isnt more damage done though!

Last time I busted gears (due to bad gear set up by a company) it sounded like a train rolling through moab. Had to drive from gemini bridges to the sand dunes where camp was.
Jeep Wrangler JL Shredded Gears or broken Axle Shaft 1634049597128

workky

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
accidentdoctor.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Self Employed
morris4x4.
I kinda figured that would be it. Glad there isnt more damage done though!

Last time I busted gears (due to bad gear set up by a company) it sounded like a train rolling through moab. Had to drive from gemini bridges to the sand dunes where camp was.
Jeep Wrangler JL Shredded Gears or broken Axle Shaft 1634049597128
My goodness, what did they do to make the gears do that?

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
morris4x4.

My goodness, what did they do to make the gears do that?
It is a lot more shredded because we had to drive it back to camp (at 25mph) to swap out the third member there. We had to tow it through a decent amount of the trail until we could slip off one of the shorter exit side routes. Still pulled the driveshaft for the drive but damn I'd be happy to not have that situation again. We carry an extra third member for it now 😂

Edit: It was determined that the carrier bearing had play in it. The company was shocked we even made the drive out to Moab.
Sponsored