JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
For the sand. you will need a flag and a flag mount. If you don't have one, no worries. You can buy them at two different places right at the entrance to the dunes. You will need tools to put them on. If you don't have tools, someone in the parking lot will probably help you out.

Also on the sand dunes, be careful and take your time running the dunes. The wind can change the layout of the dunes overnight. You will need a tow strap with you. You will get stuck. Many people will get high sided at the top of the dunes. They will get to the top of a dune and not have enough speed to crest over the top, and bam they are stuck. Also if you carry to much speed, you get airborne and will jump the Jeep, hopefully not roll it end over end. These things happen often. Also just know that because you ran a dune and it was easy at one spot, you can move over 50 yards and it can be completely different. Water at the dunes can look fun to drive through. If you have not seen someone drive through it, Walk it first. It may look like hey its only ten feet across it and then you are in water over the hood. I have seen water over the roof of lifted trucks and Jeeps. There is plenty of water to play in, just know some of it is very deep. I have pulled an s10 blazer out where the whole blazer was under water and the kids were standing on the roof in mid calf deep water. They had to swim down to hook up the strap.

Make sure you air down. Even with stock tires, air down to about 8 to 10 psi. This will make you day so much easier. You will probably get some people that have never ran the dunes say that it is too low, just ignore them. There are many that run 3 or 4 psi with stock wheels and tires with zero issues in the sand. If you are worried about it, try 12 psi first. If you have trouble climbing the dunes, and keep digging in, keep letting air out until it becomes easier. You will be fine with 8 or more psi....

Drummond Island.

Mud is not really that big of a deal. If you are charging mud and water holes at a high rate of speed, just know that it will force mud everywhere and make it 10 times harder to clean. This is what I tell people that are wheeling. If the water/mud hole looks smooth going in and out of the hole, you should be fine. If is is rutted up going in and out, you should check it for depth and softness with a stick. I would air down also for Drummond Island, 15 psi or so will really smooth out the ride.

You are more likely to have deep water than unavoidable deep mud. With some conservative driving, you should not have any problems on Drummond Island with mud causing you problems. If you are by yourself, make sure you have self recovery gear with you. Think winch and straps....

Hit me up and I will be at the Dunes for Jeep Invasion
For the sand. you will need a flag and a flag mount. If you don't have one, no worries. You can buy them at two different places right at the entrance to the dunes. You will need tools to put them on. If you don't have tools, someone in the parking lot will probably help you out.

Also on the sand dunes, be careful and take your time running the dunes. The wind can change the layout of the dunes overnight. You will need a tow strap with you. You will get stuck. Many people will get high sided at the top of the dunes. They will get to the top of a dune and not have enough speed to crest over the top, and bam they are stuck. Also if you carry to much speed, you get airborne and will jump the Jeep, hopefully not roll it end over end. These things happen often. Also just know that because you ran a dune and it was easy at one spot, you can move over 50 yards and it can be completely different. Water at the dunes can look fun to drive through. If you have not seen someone drive through it, Walk it first. It may look like hey its only ten feet across it and then you are in water over the hood. I have seen water over the roof of lifted trucks and Jeeps. There is plenty of water to play in, just know some of it is very deep. I have pulled an s10 blazer out where the whole blazer was under water and the kids were standing on the roof in mid calf deep water. They had to swim down to hook up the strap.

Make sure you air down. Even with stock tires, air down to about 8 to 10 psi. This will make you day so much easier. You will probably get some people that have never ran the dunes say that it is too low, just ignore them. There are many that run 3 or 4 psi with stock wheels and tires with zero issues in the sand. If you are worried about it, try 12 psi first. If you have trouble climbing the dunes, and keep digging in, keep letting air out until it becomes easier. You will be fine with 8 or more psi....

Drummond Island.

Mud is not really that big of a deal. If you are charging mud and water holes at a high rate of speed, just know that it will force mud everywhere and make it 10 times harder to clean. This is what I tell people that are wheeling. If the water/mud hole looks smooth going in and out of the hole, you should be fine. If is is rutted up going in and out, you should check it for depth and softness with a stick. I would air down also for Drummond Island, 15 psi or so will really smooth out the ride.

You are more likely to have deep water than unavoidable deep mud. With some conservative driving, you should not have any problems on Drummond Island with mud causing you problems. If you are by yourself, make sure you have self recovery gear with you. Think winch and straps....

Hit me up and I will be at the Dunes for Jeep Invasion.
Thank you! Youre a king man! appreciate the help!
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
quick question with sand dune driving...is there anything I need to add to my jeep to prepare for driving? I have a stock jeep sport. Also when it comes to riding in mud...Is there anything I can do to not have my jeep in the shop...I hear a lot of stories of people getting mud in the engine or something?
Well, it's not a submarine, but you'd be surprised at what it can do. Of course if you get into mud/water you want to be careful of the depth and you'd want to check differential, transfer case, and transmission fluid for water intrusion as soon as possible after exposure. But they are pretty well protected and have vent tubes that go fairly high.

A stock Sport is still a VERY capable off-roader, so experience will be more important because for a good while the Jeep's capability will exceed the driver. But modifying your Jeep is a BIG part of the fun, so I'd advise gaining experience and then using that to determine what you want to do to make it do what you'd like it to do.

Some of the most fun I ever had in a Jeep was in a bone stock 93 YJ with a 4 cylinder. Your Jeep is exponentially more capable than that little YJ was.

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
I started this thread and never posted a pic of mine! I don't have many though.
Jeep Wrangler JL Show Your Badges of Honor On Your Rig BOH

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It is such a personal thing. Lots of people don't like to put them on the jeep, keep them in a drawer. Others don't want to get them all. Others don't like how they look on the Jeep. I personally think it looks cool, better than that giant "RUBICON" sticker which means nothing. But I don't like how it looks when there's too many. My plan is to only put the most difficult ones on the Jeep, keep the rest in the drawer. I am proud to show them when I had to put some effort into the trail. Jeeps can do the easy ones without driver's effort, so I don't see the point of having those on the Jeep. But that's just my opinion. I know some people drive all over the country to get them, and that's pretty cool.

I'll probably end up with only 3 or 4 on the Jeep. Oh and I am never going east, so it'll be CA, UT and maybe CO for me.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
It is such a personal thing. Lots of people don't like to put them on the jeep, keep them in a drawer. Others don't want to get them all. Others don't like how they look on the Jeep. I personally think it looks cool, better than that giant "RUBICON" sticker which means nothing. But I don't like how it looks when there's too many. My plan is to only put the most difficult ones on the Jeep, keep the rest in the drawer. I am proud to show them when I had to put some effort into the trail. Jeeps can do the easy ones without driver's effort, so I don't see the point of having those on the Jeep. But that's just my opinion. I know some people drive all over the country to get them, and that's pretty cool.

I'll probably end up with only 3 or 4 on the Jeep. Oh and I am never going east, so it'll be CA, UT and maybe CO for me.
Well not going east, means you will miss Peter's Mill Run, and Holly Oaks off road park. Many of the ones back east are also in Parks that cost a lot to wheel in. Mind you, Windrock Uwharrie and Rausch Creek and Stoney Lonesome are great places to wheel, and in my opinion the ones to do if you do go east of the Mississippi River. The rest of them are okay if you have never wheeled west. If you have wheeled out west, or drove from out west to get to them, you may be disappointed.

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Well not going east, means you will miss Peter's Mill Run, and Holly Oaks off road park. Many of the ones back east are also in Parks that cost a lot to wheel in. Mind you, Windrock Wwharrie and Rausch Creek and Stoney Lonesome are great places to wheel, and in my opinion the ones to do if you do go east of the Mississippi River. The rest of them are okay if you have never wheeled west. If you have wheeled out west, or drove from out west to get to them, you may be disappointed.
Oh I lived in VT for 10 years. And have a family cabin up in the UP in Michigan. I like the east coast, but with a baby I dont see myself driving all the way there, plus we have way too much to explore here on the west coast.

LDJD79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I can't decide where I want to put them on my rig. Please post pics of where you stuck yours. Thanks!
I have mine in the “standard” below trail rated badge spot. At first I was hesitant putting them on my Jeep but I have found the new badges look good and they are a great conversation starter. You’d be surprised at how many people ask how/where I got them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Show Your Badges of Honor On Your Rig 33B4AA90-EC8B-42E5-A508-6C16DBC6E22C

RabidBear

First Name
Rabid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Staff Software Engineer / DBA / SQL / ETL Developer
All Colorado trails complete, working on the rest around Moab UT next. Except Pritchett Canyon, that's a hard NOPE for me...
Jeep Wrangler JL Show Your Badges of Honor On Your Rig IMG_4290

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Jeep Wrangler JL Show Your Badges of Honor On Your Rig IMG_2352

Added my newly earned badges from Windrock. Trail 16 is a fun trail!

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Jeep Wrangler JL Show Your Badges of Honor On Your Rig IMG_20210902_095817796_HDR

Just the one for now. I hesitated getting it on the jeep but I think they look good. I am gonna go minimalistic and only put some and keep the rest in a drawer. This is a sport S on rubi suspension and 33s (2 door) rear LSD. I am installing a front kocker on it soon then ill take it to john bull and holcomb creek. Then a trip to moab next year. I am looking at 5 or 6 badges max on the jeep.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I am running my badges down the tub. I intend to get a few more in December when I get some time off work.

6EE4E123-64F6-4006-A954-5D5A01963A41.jpeg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I never get why people would do this. With the Jeep or anything else.

Wait, should we be beating people up that do this?
No, just a boiling oil nut dip should suffice.
Sponsored