First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Thanks to a handful of you guys I was considering getting a drone just for jeep shots when we go out wheeling, but I think I'm going to hold off.
When you do, my advice to you is to skip the "beginner drone" and just get a good one from the start. I didn't take that advice myself. My first drone cost $300, and I paid $20 for every minute I spent flying it before I trashed it. Instead of letting that discourage me, I jumped off the high dive and got into a DJI Air 2S to the tune of $2,500. I have six batteries and two chargers, as well as the smart controller, and other odds and ends.

It may turn out that I was totally crazy for going all in, but what I can say so far is this drone is vastly superior by every measure, and it produces breathtaking, rock solid video. My only disappointment is that it won't fly behind my Jeep and follow me through the trees. The tunnel through the foliage is too small for its autopilot, and it has to be flown manually.

I need to get a girlfriend to drive the Jeep so I can video it with the drone.

Yeah, good luck with that. Four years as a free man after 27 years of marriage, and the last time I had relations with a woman, I woke up in her bed in a cold sweat. Did she harvest any of my organs? I should aim higher! Except aiming higher hasn't gotten me any action since then.

Well, at least I have an awesome Jeep, and an awesome drone. Next summer should be really exciting. Until then, I'm fighting against the short days and my night shift sleep habits, and the fact that most of the coolest stuff I can reach in a short day's distance of here is within the Appalachian Trail no fly zone. No McAffe Knob, no Wind Rock, no Keffer Oak. That sucks.
Sponsored

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase
When you do, my advice to you is to skip the "beginner drone" and just get a good one from the start. I didn't take that advice myself. My first drone cost $300, and I paid $20 for every minute I spent flying it before I trashed it. Instead of letting that discourage me, I jumped off the high dive and got into a DJI Air 2S to the tune of $2,500. I have six batteries and two chargers, as well as the smart controller, and other odds and ends.

It may turn out that I was totally crazy for going all in, but what I can say so far is this drone is vastly superior by every measure, and it produces breathtaking, rock solid video. My only disappointment is that it won't fly behind my Jeep and follow me through the trees. The tunnel through the foliage is too small for its autopilot, and it has to be flown manually.

I need to get a girlfriend to drive the Jeep so I can video it with the drone.

Yeah, good luck with that. Four years as a free man after 27 years of marriage, and the last time I had relations with a woman, I woke up in her bed in a cold sweat. Did she harvest any of my organs? I should aim higher! Except aiming higher hasn't gotten me any action since then.

Well, at least I have an awesome Jeep, and an awesome drone. Next summer should be really exciting. Until then, I'm fighting against the short days and my night shift sleep habits, and the fact that most of the coolest stuff I can reach in a short day's distance of here is within the Appalachian Trail no fly zone. No McAffe Knob, no Wind Rock, no Keffer Oak. That sucks.
a co-worker told me the same thing, don't get a cheap drone, in fact he told me to get the same drone you have. I'll look into it in the future should have some big jobs coming up

Bamabww

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys, Snazzberry.
Occupation
Retired and loving it.
my advice to you is to skip the "beginner drone" and just get a good one from the start.
I appreciate that advice as well and definitely want one that will follow me.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
I appreciate that advice as well and definitely want one that will follow me.
Get the insurance too. My second drone lasted for about 10 miles of flying, which is vastly better than my first drone, but it's dead now. I was starting to gain confidence with the thing, as I got a lot better at flying it with fine-grained control. I decided to go into sport mode and zip around at 45 mph to show what a skillful badass I am. I knew I was heading toward power lines. I was above the power lines.

THOCK! Whappa blappa SMACK!

Welllllllll SHIT!

The funny thing is my son was with me, flying too, and I had just had a discussion with him about how bad humans are at judging the relative position of things in the sky. Yeah, like my height above the damn power lines.

The way they stop you from buying insurance to cover a crash after the fact is that you have to buy it within 48 hours of activating a new drone. I should have bought the insurance. Now I'm screwed. If I want to keep flying, I need to drop about a grand for a new drone and a repair on the original drone. Sigh. :blush:

I need to drink a goodly amount of liquor first, but that's probably what I'm going to do. Two drones are better than one. Seriously, the things I have in mind, I'm going to be driving and/or hiking a considerable distance, and having two drones in my bag would actually be a really good idea. If only they weren't so damned expensive.

Bamabww

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys, Snazzberry.
Occupation
Retired and loving it.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
Sounds like you and I are a lot alike! Bummer, I hate that happened to your drone.
It definitely sucks, but I'm looking at it as a minor setback. I still have a long list of places I want to see from a new perspective, and the only way to move forward on that is to get back in the air.

After sleeping on it, I decided to order the part and attempt to fix it myself. It will be cheaper and more importantly faster than sending it off. It's risky, but I think in the long run it will pay off for me to get good at repairing these things. I am likely to break it again.

I like the idea of having a second drone in the bag, but not for $1,000. Not today. Maybe down the line.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Really wish we’d taken the JL out the night we took this….

A7C23BDA-C38A-4F62-9319-8AA6205FBD9D.jpeg

Sponsored

4x4tographer

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Clubs

A few snaps from a recent exploratory trip in the Bradshaw Mountains to find the old abandoned townsite of Packer here in Arizona. (Trip Report Writeup Here)

Overlooking Black Canyon City from the West:
Fx2Tt_-Ve8Ced6kpdMJiMy71=w1669-h1121-no?authuser=0.jpg

JSGxW3H-76AZJU8uvVzxlrWH=w1682-h1121-no?authuser=0.jpg

VHchthp07u8Ip-R8n22DI5Sm=w1796-h1011-no?authuser=0.jpg

The north shore of Lake Pleasant in AZ:
q6fiqfR4xQyb8mu3XWVmWcWo=w1796-h1011-no?authuser=0.jpg

Just after dusk in Boulder Creek Canyon, north of Table Mesa:
LYnnfnybTRPTT57Y0WBo0FPIg=w897-h1121-no?authuser=0.jpg

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven