Show off your DIY painted dash

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Here's my white dash painted using Bright White color matched DupliColor spray paint with a matt clear coat. I also used some satin black vinyl wrap on the silver speedo and tach trim rings.
jl white dash.jpg
Wow. Did you get to seats covered in white leather ? That had to be pretty expensive wasn't it
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Wow. Did you get to seats covered in white leather ? That had to be pretty expensive wasn't it
They are PRP seat covers, but still ain't cheap.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I just came here after seeing Brandon Haneline's video. He just put a color matched set in.

What's the best way to source panels for painting? I currently have leather.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I just came here after seeing Brandon Haneline's video. He just put a color matched set in.

What's the best way to source panels for painting? I currently have leather.
The Member Marketplace is a good start.
Gregj

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I just sold a Hydo Blue set. Post a WTT, I’m sure someone will swap them.
Gregj

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Question on sanding the panels. How far down should we go? I just wet sanded a panel with 400 grit. It took off the shine but some spots have exposed black plastic. To get everything down to black would required hours of work or power tools.

I'm worried the spots down to the black may show through.

I plan to do a bonding layer and as many coats as needed.

For the bonding primer, does the color matter? The final color will be matched to snazzberry.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Question on sanding the panels. How far down should we go? I just wet sanded a panel with 400 grit. It took off the shine but some spots have exposed black plastic. To get everything down to black would required hours of work or power tools.

I'm worried the spots down to the black may show through.

I plan to do a bonding layer and as many coats as needed.

For the bonding primer, does the color matter? The final color will be matched to snazzberry.
You only need to scuff the surface, I went over mine lightly with a scoth brite pad.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Thanks, hopefully I didn't overdo it. It's well scuffed but on a few of the harder lines have some black. I can feel slightly around where some of the black is showing through. I've seen mention of the black showing through.

I plan on several coats/sandings. But I know this sanding and bonding later are important.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Spray some high build primer. You were too aggressive and used a way too aggressive grit. The high build will fill the sanding scratches and let you sand it smooth again. You may want to start with a new part as you likely changed the profile of yours. But at least you can use this one for practice and you may just save it. Watch some YT videos to get some ideas.

Sponsored

jesnamy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Bikini (Amy)
Hard to tell by the picture but my son and I painted a set to match for wife’s bikini pearl rubicon. I’d have to say I was worried but the paint matched perfectly. Even changes color in photos. Paint was mixed by local paint supply company.

091ADFE9-FD3A-4356-B941-63927F47630A.jpeg

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Spray some high build primer. You were too aggressive and used a way too aggressive grit. The high build will fill the sanding scratches and let you sand it smooth again. You may want to start with a new part as you likely changed the profile of yours. But at least you can use this one for practice and you may just save it. Watch some YT videos to get some ideas.
Would high build primer go on top of the plastic bonding primer?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Yes. Make sure you are getting the right kind. Go to an auto paint store, take your piece and explain what you are trying to do. Those counter guys can be very helpful.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
They thought the piece looked okay. I got adhesion promotor and a fillable/sandable primer.

Getting the color matched paint seems to be the big challenge. I can't find any local shops and the parts department didn't seem very confident they could get any. Is it because it's a pearl coat?

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
They thought the piece looked okay. I got adhesion promotor and a fillable/sandable primer.

Getting the color matched paint seems to be the big challenge. I can't find any local shops and the parts department didn't seem very confident they could get any. Is it because it's a pearl coat?
IF you google "your color mopar touch up paint it should give you a couple options to choose from to buy your color. i forget where i got mine but it was mopar paint and clear. I used almost 2 cans of each to do my panels in Punkin.. Just make sure you put it on even especially that color because its a heavy metallic/pearl.
Sponsored