First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Let’s see what everyone is doing to their Diesel’s. A pictures is worth a thousand words too so let’s share.

Here is a quick rundown of the major components on my build which is underway:

40x13.5xR17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss wrapped around Trail Ready Beadlocks.

Ultimate Dana 60’s F&R w/ 4.88 & E-Lockers.

JE Reel F&R Custom Driveshafts

EVO/King Double ThrowDown up front EVO/King coil overs out back
EVO Pro High Clearance Long Arm Kit
King Hydraulic Bumpstops all around.

What setups are the other diesel guys running? Anyone with 40’s or bigger??

Please feel free to share gear ratios as well if you have re geared.

It would be awesome to see a MPG along with gear ratio & tire size from a few different builds.

Stock I was getting 27.3 MPG Highway going 80+/- mph
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
EVO 1/4 Pounder w/Stinger

Baja Designs LP6 custom added by yours truly.

Custom Jet Black Powdercoat, Satin Finish
Jeep Wrangler JL Show off your Diesel JL build! 2EB81EEE-B09E-47E6-A8E7-B76B25E4FAD4
Jeep Wrangler JL Show off your Diesel JL build! B003DF2E-FD60-4D21-8E74-446B4CBC6AE8
Jeep Wrangler JL Show off your Diesel JL build! 8DE2C0B6-B88F-4450-80CB-FDBDE502AB3B
Jeep Wrangler JL Show off your Diesel JL build! BDC25CC7-9F5D-4580-B779-894A4726C918

Last edited:

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
Let’s see what everyone is doing to their Diesel’s. A pictures is worth a thousand words too so let’s share.

Here is a quick rundown of the major components on my build which is underway:

40x13.5xR17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss wrapped around Trail Ready Beadlocks.

Ultimate Dana 60’s F&R w/ 4.88 & E-Lockers.

JE Reel F&R Custom Driveshafts

EVO/King Double ThrowDown up front and EVO/King coil overs out back
King Hydraulic Bumpstops all around.

What setups are the other diesel guys running? Anyone with 40’s or bigger??

Please feel free to share gear ratios as well if you have re geared.

It would be awesome to see a MPG along with gear ratio & tire size from a few different builds.

Stock I was getting 27.3 MPG Highway going 80+/- mph
Damn bro! Are you sponsored? That's over 25k in parts alone! I should have my willys diesel in 2 weeks time and looking to regear as well to 4.88. Looking at 37s with a 3.5" lift. What drives hats did you go with?... nevermind, just saw that

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Damn bro! Are you sponsored? That's over 25k in parts alone! I should have my willys diesel in 2 weeks time and looking to regear as well to 4.88. Looking at 37s with a 3.5" lift. What drives hats did you go with?... nevermind, just saw that
Nope I wish I was though lol - these parts are just the major ones. Tip of the ice burg really

you may want to consider 4.56 with 37” tires. That’s what a lot of guys have gone with in here and are super happy with them.

It’s still more aggressive than stock configuration would be at about a 4.11 effective gear ratio

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope I wish I was though lol - these parts are just the major ones. Tip of the ice burg really

you may want to consider 4.56 with 37” tires. That’s what a lot of guys have gone with in here and are super happy with them.
Man, every time this debate comes up, there's always 1 or 2 that say 4.56 but the rest say 4.88... will the diesel compensate for that much more?

Sponsored

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Man, every time this debate comes up, there's always 1 or 2 that say 4.56 but the rest say 4.88... will the diesel compensate for that much more?
4.88 would be great for a gas motor. I’m going 4.88 with 40’s ...

I just ran this calculator for you so you can see what your speed would be stock vs with 37’s at 2,000 RPM

Stock you’d be going 76 MPH @ 2000 RPM
37 & 4.56 - 69 MPH
37 & 4.88 - 65 MPH

Jeep Wrangler JL Show off your Diesel JL build! CDD90985-A583-4C50-AECA-D921A10A2C4B

This is a handy web calculator to play with too, just make sure you use the actual mounted tire height. Not advertised height

https://www.intercotire.com/tire_size_change_gear_ratio_calculator

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4.88 would be great for a gas motor. I’m going 4.88 with 40’s ...

I just ran this calculator for you so you can see what your speed would be stock vs with 37’s at 2,000 RPM

Stock you’d be going 76 MPH @ 2000 RPM
37 & 4.56 - 69 MPH
37 & 4.88 - 65 MPH

Jeep Wrangler JL Show off your Diesel JL build! CDD90985-A583-4C50-AECA-D921A10A2C4B

This is a handy web calculator to play with too, just make sure you use the actual mounted tire height. Not advertised height

https://www.intercotire.com/tire_size_change_gear_ratio_calculator
Beautiful, thank you

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Beautiful, thank you
No problem! Enjoy!!

Im sure you’ll be fine either way but the 4.88 is going to put your RPM much higher at highway speeds in 8th. = Lower MPG

But the power would be great I’m sure

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Who is doing your build and when do you expect it to be done?
Im trying to decide if on this one I do RK 3.5" mid arm on 37s or go straight to D60/40s long arm coilover. harder me as I already have a crawler and this build over the last month is overland. Just about done except suspension/tires which I'm doing last (reverse this time)

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Who is doing your build and when do you expect it to be done?
Im trying to decide if on this one I do RK 3.5" mid arm on 37s or go straight to D60/40s long arm coilover. harder me as I already have a crawler and this build over the last month is overland. Just about done except suspension/tires which I'm doing last (reverse this time)
Don’t want to say who’s doing the build as I’m not happy with their service at all. Hopefully their build work is far superior to their customer service.

The cost of going D60/40’s plus long arm coilovers is extreme. I’m trying to build a sick rock crawler so I’m went big... I like the way 40’s sit on a 4 door JL.

If cost isn’t an overly burdensome factor for you though; it will provided about the same break over angle as a 2 door on 37’s which is excellent.

So if you can throw the whole wallet at it, then I say go for it! If throwing the whole wallet at it makes you think twice go 37’s lol

Sponsored

StormTropper

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara High Altitude
hey, im not sure what aftermarket parts are available for the diesel Jeeps at this point but in my in-laws 2016 ram ecodiesel we did a bunch to wake up the engine if anyone is looking to get some more power/torque i can let you guys know what we did

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
hey, im not sure what aftermarket parts are available for the diesel Jeeps at this point but in my in-laws 2016 ram ecodiesel we did a bunch to wake up the engine if anyone is looking to get some more power/torque i can let you guys know what we did
What did you guys find makes a difference?

What made the biggest difference?

Anything you wouldn’t do again?

StormTropper

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara High Altitude
What did you guys find makes a difference?

What made the biggest difference?

Anything you wouldn’t do again?
off the top of my head we did the EGR delete right away, always recommend that for any diesel for long term maintenance
we upgraded the downpipe and deleted the cats, didn't do a full exhaust although i wish he did imo would have provided more gains
upgraded to a cold air intake, my in-law went with a S&B he's really happy with, although I'd recommend going with Banks Power if they have a intake for that engine, they make great intakes

we put a pedal commander which is probably what provide the most impact due to the turbo lag these engines usually have, the throttle response i much improved afterwards

and we tuned it, you can go without a tune but to get all the results out of the truck tune is recommend if you do all these things, i believe he did something to the turbo but i have to ask him because it makes a nice sound when you punch it lol

all the change made a slight difference but its the sum of all the parts that makes the best impact and only thing i would change if we did it again was doing a full exhaust next time (which we can still do) not just the cats

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
off the top of my head we did the EGR delete right away, always recommend that for any diesel for long term maintenance
we upgraded the downpipe and deleted the cats, didn't do a full exhaust although i wish he did imo would have provided more gains
upgraded to a cold air intake, my in-law went with a S&B he's really happy with, although I'd recommend going with Banks Power if they have a intake for that engine, they make great intakes

we put a pedal commander which is probably what provide the most impact due to the turbo lag these engines usually have, the throttle response i much improved afterwards

and we tuned it, you can go without a tune but to get all the results out of the truck tune is recommend if you do all these things, i believe he did something to the turbo but i have to ask him because it makes a nice sound when you punch it lol

all the change made a slight difference but its the sum of all the parts that makes the best impact and only thing i would change if we did it again was doing a full exhaust next time (which we can still do) not just the cats
Shit too bad I can’t do any of that emissions stuff in California. Land of the not so free in many ways

fjernen

First Name
Eran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
60 Days in this is my diesel build. Did 3k miles and then added lift and tires. Waiting on my Tazer to update spedo etc. I have noticed a slight decrease in power but I have no trouble going 85 (parts of Utah do have 85 as a speed limit) Gas mileage has dipped about 2 mpg. Hopefully we will be in the dirt tomorrow.

TERAFLEX ST3 KIT W FALCON 3.3 SHOCKS
FRONT 1 INCH SPRING SPACERS TERAFLEX
TERAFLEX ALPHA TIRE CARRIER
BFG KO2 ALL TERRAIN 37X12.50R17 Daily commuter
FUEL D608 ENDURO WHEELS 17 INCH

Jeep Wrangler JL Show off your Diesel JL build! 2021Jeep-3
Sponsored