First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Resurrecting an old thread to ask a question.

I got 9 badges in 6 states in my Sport S.

I have traded up to a Rubicon and I am slowly re-running the trails. Some of the trails aren't my favorites and some are far away.

I have all my badges in a box.

Some people feel like the badges go with the driver and just stick them on their new Jeep. I feel like they are for both the driver and the Jeep so I don't feel right putting them on my Rubicon until I run the trail in this Jeep.

What do others think?
The badges definitely follow the driver.

Your last Jeep was a Lease and never belonged to you. Should probably just throw all those badges in the trash then?

If you go to the app, you can’t re-request them if you buy a different Jeep unless you start a new profile.

The program, from the way I see it, is based on the driver. I don’t think it even shows you what Jeep you completed the badges with. It just needs a valid VIN to order the badge.

I’ve got 29 now, and I’ll be damned if I start over because of a different Jeep. Lol.

I could see an argument for Wrangler vs Renegade or Cherokee and not putting the badges on an obviously incapable vehicle for the trail. Looking at the app and the intent, I think it’s more person/community based than equipment. IMO, of course.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The badges definitely follow the driver.

Your last Jeep was a Lease and never belonged to you. Should probably just throw all those badges in the trash then?

If you go to the app, you can’t re-request them if you buy a different Jeep unless you start a new profile.

The program, from the way I see it, is based on the driver. I don’t think it even shows you what Jeep you completed the badges with. It just needs a valid VIN to order the badge.

I’ve got 29 now, and I’ll be damned if I start over because of a different Jeep. Lol.

I could see an argument for Wrangler vs Renegade or Cherokee and not putting the badges on an obviously incapable vehicle for the trail. Looking at the app and the intent, I think it’s more person/community based than equipment. IMO, of course.
Putting badges from trails we’ve run in our lifted 2019 JLUR on 37’s, especially the tougher ones like Holcomb creek and the rubicon on a new stock rig would be just as bad as wrangler to renegade In my opinion. Being a poser is being a poser regardless. Now if the new rig is as capable or more than the old rig, then it’s at least realistic that the rig and driver could/would run the trail the same.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If I sold my jeep I would keep my rubicon badge because it reminds me of my epic adventure but I would never put it on a new jeep. i’d probably stick it to my toolbox. IMO the jeep has to earn those badges.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I will pull off all the badges when I sell my Jeep. I look at it like a team effort. They are not for the next person. I will make a plaque or something for the garage out of them as a reminder of the travels and great adventures that I have had getting the badges. Personally if I bought a Jeep with badges on it, I would remove them. I often get asked about the badges and would hate to have to explain that I never ran them, I don't know what the trail is like and so on every time I was asked about it.

At one time I was obsessed with getting all the badges. After running some of the pathetic badge trails, that could literally be driven with a mini van, the program lost some of its allure to me. The fact that some of the trails have very limited access or you have to buy a year membership just to run a trail also diminished the lure. After waiting for four days for a place to open or driving 10 hours to find that their website is not accurate as to the hours of operation

I also realized that I was driving a thousand miles past some great trails to run a trail that was subpar at best.

I would feel sorry for someone that drove over thousand miles to run Holy Oaks ORV park here in Michigan, or someone that drove a thousand miles to run Peters Mill Run or Tread Lightly in Florida. Getting some of these badges are a huge financial commitment and at the end of the day just not worth the juice or the squeeze.

Still like the program, but I am not obsessed with having all the badge trails. Back it the spring, I mapped out what it would take to get the remaining badges. It was approximately 14,000 miles of driving, and six hard weeks of driving and wheeling all over the country. Then bam they added more trails. I would have been pissed that in the middle of a big trip, they added the additional trails and would have to drive all over the country again. In March, the goal was to wheel in Alabama, Florida and Georgia to get the badges. Georgia did not open when their web site said they would and a week after I got home they added a badge in South Carolina. Like really, I just drove 2,500+ miles to get these badges, and now I have to dam near retrace my route because one place did not open per their information on their web site. Mind you the trail was 4 miles out of my way to pick up on the way home from Florida, and now to go get the badge, It is an 11 hour drive each way to go back and get it. Then they add a trail in South Carolina too that I just drive past. Well there goes two thousand dollars as I drive past Windrock, Blue Hollor, and a host of other great trail systems........

I will still go after badge trails, but they will have to be something that is along my way or something that is in my eyes worth wheeling. It will no longer be I have to have that badge. I am over that.

Sorry about the rant.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Putting badges from trails we’ve run in our lifted 2019 JLUR on 37’s, especially the tougher ones like Holcomb creek and the rubicon on a new stock rig would be just as bad as wrangler to renegade In my opinion. Being a poser is being a poser regardless. Now if the new rig is as capable or more than the old rig, then it’s at least realistic that the rig and driver could/would run the trail the same.
This is a purest approach which I totally get. The program itself is not designed this way. It’s an accolade incentive to sell more Jeeps, even the app is a social media platform. You could rent a Jeep and run all of Ouray and receive your badges. The purest will say, it’s not your Jeep, so it doesn’t count. Idk. If you take a step back and look at the program itself, it’s not rig centric, but I can understand people being that way with it. It’s really not that serious of a program to begin with. Lol. I mean, it’s wide open to be abused by people with no integrity.

I ran Holcomb Creek, John Bull, and about a dozen others stock. You’d look at my Jeep funny when you saw it with all the badges, 33’s, and a 30 day tag. That was 3 years ago now and a different Jeep. I have no intention of surrendering those accomplishments because I bought a different Rubicon.

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
We earned our first badge at Holly Oaks Off-Road park. Climbed the front and back side of Mt. Magna, did some rock crawling, log crossings and some very fun hill climbs and descents.

I have zero obsession with collecting these, but if the opportunity presents itself, I will happily check in and grab one.

I know some think Holly Oaks is a cake walk, but I earned the badge for the hours spent removing the cement from it. The water/mud puddles you drive through during your time spent there is made up of water, sand and rocks and stones. Once it dries, the sand and rocks/stones is basically concrete. Gave the power washer a good work out, LOL. It was still a fun time for sure.
Jeep Wrangler JL Show off your Badge of Honors IMG-6279

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
This is a purest approach which I totally get. The program itself is not designed this way. It’s an accolade incentive to sell more Jeeps, even the app is a social media platform. You could rent a Jeep and run all of Ouray and receive your badges. The purest will say, it’s not your Jeep, so it doesn’t count. Idk. If you take a step back and look at the program itself, it’s not rig centric, but I can understand people being that way with it. It’s really not that serious of a program to begin with. Lol. I mean, it’s wide open to be abused by people with no integrity.

I ran Holcomb Creek, John Bull, and about a dozen others stock. You’d look at my Jeep funny when you saw it with all the badges, 33’s, and a 30 day tag. That was 3 years ago now and a different Jeep. I have no intention of surrendering those accomplishments because I bought a different Rubicon.
I agree I'd likely keep my badges, just wouldn't put them on a different rig. I'd likely put them all on my gun safe if/ when we swap to a new vehicle. Some take it way too serious, but in the end it's up to you what you do with your badges. I agree with a lot of what wibornz said, but think it's great that they include the easy trails for the less capable rigs and new drivers. I think it's great that they include trails across the country so everyone doesn't have to drive thousands of miles for a badge trail. That being said, I won't be making a huge east coast journey to run easy dirt roads that are far less scenic than what we have within an hour of my house. I won't travel thousands of miles to wheel at a massively overpriced of road park. We are spoiled out west. Hollister hills has one of the best designed and most difficult obstacle courses on the planet, is an hour from home, and is $5/ day. The 2 closest badge trails are the Rubicon and the Dusy, both about 3 hours. Big bear is 5 hours. Tillamook 10 hours. Moab 12 hours. Ouray 14 hours. Nearly every one of those trails is free to run. The tallest mountain east of the Mississippi is foothills at best in the Sierras or rockies. I haven't seen 1 east coast trail video and thought "that's worth driving 40+ hours round trip for".

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I agree I'd likely keep my badges, just wouldn't put them on a different rig. I'd likely put them all on my gun safe if/ when we swap to a new vehicle. Some take it way too serious, but in the end it's up to you what you do with your badges. I agree with a lot of what wibornz said, but think it's great that they include the easy trails for the less capable rigs and new drivers. I think it's great that they include trails across the country so everyone doesn't have to drive thousands of miles for a badge trail. That being said, I won't be making a huge east coast journey to run easy dirt roads that are far less scenic than what we have within an hour of my house. I won't travel thousands of miles to wheel at a massively overpriced of road park. We are spoiled out west. Hollister hills has one of the best designed and most difficult obstacle courses on the planet, is an hour from home, and is $5/ day. The 2 closest badge trails are the Rubicon and the Dusy, both about 3 hours. Big bear is 5 hours. Tillamook 10 hours. Moab 12 hours. Ouray 14 hours. Nearly every one of those trails is free to run. The tallest mountain east of the Mississippi is foothills at best in the Sierras or rockies. I haven't seen 1 east coast trail video and thought "that's worth driving 40+ hours round trip for".
Lol… exactly. This is why my Jeepin’ the Dream trips I take every year go West. I’ll be in CO and UT in July and be back to the Rubicon in August with the Jamboree.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Lol… exactly. This is why my Jeepin’ the Dream trips I take every year go West. I’ll be in CO and UT in July and be back to the Rubicon in August with the Jamboree.
We will be in Ouray 4th of July, Idaho in August , and AZ in September. Even the easy trails out here have amazing views. The views of Sedona coming down Schnebly Hill are worth the trip even though it is a glorified dirt road. It's easy to find non-badge trails in the area that are much more challenging, which is why we will likely do both.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
This popped up in my Facebook memories today.

"Badge of honor for Top Of The World in front of my amazing wall art of Top Of The World. "

Jeep Wrangler JL Show off your Badge of Honors TOTW

Sponsored

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
We just had a hell of a trip! All the Ouray/Silverton/Telluride trails and then got Fins N Things, Hell's Revenge, Elephant Hill, Steel Bender, and Top of the World. It sure was hot in Moab! Black Bear was a blast, had to do a recovery while raining which was intense.

20210715_112109.jpg

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We just had a hell of a trip! All the Ouray/Silverton/Telluride trails and then got Fins N Things, Hell's Revenge, Elephant Hill, Steel Bender, and Top of the World. It sure was hot in Moab! Black Bear was a blast, had to do a recovery while raining which was intense.

20210715_112109.jpg
We basically did the same trip, except we did steel bender, metal masher, and cliffhanger in moab.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Mine shipped this week. Supposed to be here tomorrow!!

I did Hell’s Revenge, Fins and Things, and Top of the World.

Can’t wait to mount them!
Sponsored