Show me your Nerf steps

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
I'm in the market to replace the side steps that came on my Sahara with a set of Nerf style side steps. Through searching I'm aware that a few companies are working on them, but I'm curious who out there has a set installed with photos/experiences to share?

Searching outside of the forum I've found Rough Country and Nfab nerf steps. Show me what you've got or tell me what I'm missing.

img_2983.jpg

F&w=330&h=330.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Bumping up to see if anyone out there has other options. I've found another option that I'm leaning towards b/c of their detachable step. I like the idea of being able to take them when heading on the trails. If anyone has info on the Nfab RKR rails/steps to share that'd be helpful!

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Could someone explain the appeal of this type of step? To me, it seems to combine the worst elements of every step option. They are just as heavy as rock sliders, but if you actually 'slid' on a rock, it would catch the step and damage your steps AND the vehicle.

I can understand the desire for a lower step for easier ingress/egress, but there are plastic/AL options that wouldn't be so heavy and damage your vehicle if they got caught on something. If you need protection AND a lower step, it seems like a removable/retractable option is the way to go.

OP
OP

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
If you need protection AND a lower step, it seems like a removable/retractable option is the way to go.
My thoughts exactly! And is why I've become more interested in the removable step option offered on Nfab's RKR rail/step. I currently have the factory plastic step that I know will need to come off to enter a specific trail we have in northern MN (which we discovered when my buddy almost tore off his factory nerf step on his brand new TRD Taco). I don't want to leave the pinch seam exposed so a rock rail is a must for me. The appeal to the nerf step is purely for looks because I like the aggressive look.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Could someone explain the appeal of this type of step? To me, it seems to combine the worst elements of every step option. They are just as heavy as rock sliders, but if you actually 'slid' on a rock, it would catch the step and damage your steps AND the vehicle.

I can understand the desire for a lower step for easier ingress/egress, but there are plastic/AL options that wouldn't be so heavy and damage your vehicle if they got caught on something. If you need protection AND a lower step, it seems like a removable/retractable option is the way to go.
I think you need to take in account the high percentage of vehicles that never even see a dirt road....

This is a jeep forum so obviously everyone here loves the jeep. But I would venture to guess that this forum doesn't represent more than 30% of the general jeep population.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I think you need to take in account the high percentage of vehicles that never even see a dirt road....
Fair enough, but OP specifically says he needs rock protection. Which pretty much rules out most of the options pictured.

Sliders with removable steps seem to meet all the requirements.

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee

People who buy these don’t plan to slide on rocks. These are pretty much mall crawler/light dirt trail steps. I like how they look and when I lift my truck up, ladies still need to be able to get in my truck therefore I bought them. :like:

Sponsored

Sschmittou

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jku 75th anniversary, 2018 JlU rubicon
Occupation
Homeland security
Same nfab as Izzy, got them off Amazon $373. Installed in driveway with 3 wrenches and a helper.

Got them them because I have 4 kids under 9. And no big rocks at the mall.

20180327_143343.jpg

20180320_190501.jpg

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I have the NFAB version.

2BC4CBB1-0D3C-42A7-976A-4646A1D7D913.jpeg
Any complaints? They seem to hide the pinch check seem pretty well, right? Chesper than AceSliders as well, I believe..

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Same nfab as Izzy, got them off Amazon $373. Installed in driveway with 3 wrenches and a helper.

20180327_143343.jpg

20180320_190501.jpg
Any complaints? Do they mount using the same frame bolts as ACE?

greenegger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon

20180327_143343.jpg

20180320_190501.jpg
which bull bar is this? looks better than the small one offered by mopar.
Sponsored