Rangerheave

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'm interested in seeing photos of 18" wheel/tire combos. I'm a first time jeep owner (JLUS) and would like to make some changes. Like some others, my jeep is not likely see to see trails or dirt very often. I commute 30 miles one way to work.

I'm leaning towards the RC 2.5" spacer lift and upgraded wheels/tires with an 18" wheel and would like to see some examples and perhaps a brief explanation why you chose your setup.

(Obligatory Jeep photo provided)

Thanks in advance.

RLTW.

20180809_133911.jpg
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I actually happen to like the OEM optional rims (Techgray) and tires. The rims look nice, and the tires are actually decent tires. I'm not sure how much luck you'll have trying to find them right away since people with them paid extra for the option, but I imagine at some point you'll start to see them as take-offs as people decide to go bigger.
You may find a good price on them that way, and IMHO they look great.

Jeep.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rangerheave

Rangerheave

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Completed today. 2.5” Rough Country lift, 18x9 XD Grenades (-12mm) and 35x12.50 Ridge Grapplers. Love it!

5D5D5A04-2420-484D-BE56-941EACC4C9AE.jpeg
I really like that. Is that the spacer lift? If so, did you do the install yourself? If not, what was the install cost?

reynolr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
I really like that. Is that the spacer lift? If so, did you do the install yourself? If not, what was the install cost?
Thanks. It is the spacer lift. I also added the shocks to it. Rides just like it did from the factory. I did not do the install myself. Install cost plus alignment was $270.

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Thanks. It is the spacer lift. I also added the shocks to it. Rides just like it did from the factory. I did not do the install myself. Install cost plus alignment was $270.
You don't need an alignment after a spacer lift, by the way.

Sponsored

reynolr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
You don't need an alignment after a spacer lift, by the way.
Wish I had known you earlier so I could have asked for your input. Without having you as a lifeline, I consulted with the manufacturer (aka Rough Country) and they said one would be needed. I had the shop check the alignment after install and it needed to be aligned. Crazy.

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Wish I had known you earlier so I could have asked for your input. Without having you as a lifeline, I consulted with the manufacturer (aka Rough Country) and they said one would be needed. I had the shop check the alignment after install and it needed to be aligned. Crazy.
Yep, you sound lost without me.

Post your alignment sheet results.

You got that 2.5" lift to counteract those side steps, so you can still ride over a curb, yeah?

Last edited:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Nope, the lift is to get over the pot holes better. ;) At least that's the most common obstacle mine will see. If that makes my Jeep less manly, because I'm not going to beat the crap out of a $45K vehicle, then so be it. I'll stick with the light trails, and avoid the big gnarly rocks any time I can. Some of us just want a lift because it looks good, not because we are off-roading. That doesn't make them any less of a Jeep, it just means we can buy the cheaper lift because we don't need the added capability.

.... I consulted with the manufacturer (aka Rough Country) and they said one would be needed. I had the shop check the alignment after install and it needed to be aligned. Crazy.
Yeah I've heard a people say that you don't need an alignment too. They said the same thing with the BU (Renegade) because you "can't" adjust the alignment.
After lifting my wife's BU, I took it to the shop and the alignment was off. Although they couldn't get it completely dialed in (only minimal adjustment is possible, similar to the JL), they were able to make it better by correcting the Toe and Steer. It rides better after the alignment too. My opinion, is that you should get the alignment after you take the suspension apart. I'm no expert so maybe it's a waste of time/money. Why cheap out and risk prematurely wearing $1000+ of tires to save $100 on an alignment? When deciding if you want to spend the money on a lift, you should consider that $100 too.
Just my $.02, so take it for what it's worth. I'm not a mechanic, so its purely speculation/opinion.

PS, I love my 18's. Had them on my Grand Cherokee, and Ram too. :rock:

Last edited:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
PS, the alignment sheet for the nay sayers is attached. Sorry it's a picture of the screen, their printer was down and I didn't want to stick around any longer for them to fix it (I had already waited 15 minutes while they tried).
As noted the caster and camber couldn't be adjusted. The toe was way off and they fixed that which made a noticeable improvement.

alignment.jpg