Show me: Lift and Specs

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I am about ready to purchase a complete lift kit and am looking for reccomendations. I have been looking at Rancho 9000, but am starting to think I might just want to get as many of the parts I can in the kit, or a good combinatio. Photos, specs, and advice appreciated. I am looking between 2.5 and 3.5 inch. I like most brands, this is my first jeep and I’m still learning everything.

Most of the driving is on road/highway. I want to off road, but I have no real need for a crazy expensive fancy lift. I know I want to avoid extensions and pucks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Heres my list, no specific order of what I’ve seen that I might like.
Mopar 2”
JKS
AEV DualSport RT
Metal Cloak
Dynatrac

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
If you search the forum I think you’ll find that Metal Cloak and Rock Krawler are very popular and folks are generally happy with them. I went with AEV based on a review of lifts done by Trail Recon on YouTube. He rated it best for on road and I am extremely happy with it. I wheel, but not super hard. If I needed more off road capability I probably wouldn’t be putting it on something this new to begin with. Search around on the forum and you’ll find more information than you’ll know what to do with.

Here’s a good one that came up recently:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...k-on-these-3-lifts-please.73838/#post-1538329

AEV 2.5” (truly more like 3.5”)
315/70r17
Jeep Wrangler JL Show me: Lift and Specs 9A5C3442-D7B8-4F91-863C-F404DF85E70C

Jeep Wrangler JL Show me: Lift and Specs 7674D212-2E1C-4A16-B9B7-A241AC37AFD4

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I ran AEV on my last Jeep and it handled great. Though I do like my suspension stiff. I was running a rooftop tent and gear in the back so it was able to handle the weight well. I am now running Synergy 2" lift. I am running 35's and did not want to have a big gap and most other lifts are 2.5" and are estimating that with running a heavy rig. Which is why most are getting 3"+ of lift. I did not want that and will only be running with a top and RTT when we go camping. So don't need to be able to handle that weight all the time. I was considering both MetalCloak and Rock Krawler as well and was super close to pulling the trigger. It really came down to availability and I wanted to get my lift on ASAP. Can't go wrong with either of those recommendations as well.

IMG_8959.jpeg

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I ran AEV on my last Jeep and it handled great. Though I do like my suspension stiff. I was running a rooftop tent and gear in the back so it was able to handle the weight well. I am now running Synergy 2" lift. I am running 35's and did not want to have a big gap and most other lifts are 2.5" and are estimating that with running a heavy rig. Which is why most are getting 3"+ of lift. I did not want that and will only be running with a top and RTT when we go camping. So don't need to be able to handle that weight all the time. I was considering both MetalCloak and Rock Krawler as well and was super close to pulling the trigger. It really came down to availability and I wanted to get my lift on ASAP. Can't go wrong with either of those recommendations as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Show me: Lift and Specs IMG_8959
Is the synergy really stiff? Did you install yourself? I worry about need driveshafts, longer lines, all that etc.

Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Is the synergy really stiff? Did you install yourself? I worry about need driveshafts, longer lines, all that etc.
I did the install yes. It is not as stiff as AEV was. It rides really nice actually and tracks great. I was going 90MPH the other day on the freeway and felt the same as it does cruising around town.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
That’s awesome!! How wide are your 35’s? What backspacing and offset are you running on your wheels. I am wanting to get 35s but I want to clear my control arms.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
That’s awesome!! How wide are your 35’s? What backspacing and offset are you running on your wheels. I am wanting to get 35s but I want to clear my control arms.
I have not measured them. Rims are +20 offset and are about perfect IMO. They stick out about 1" or so from fenders and looks proportional. They Synergy control arms are bent in and up. I have had no issues with rubbing at lockout/side to side.

Also I did not need new driveshaft and don't look like I need one soon so far. There is no contact between the driveshaft and any crossmembers. Same with brake lines or anything. Kit I got came with everything needed.

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
Metal Cloak 3.5" Gamechanger installed last week with Fox 2.0 shocks.

I was originally leaning towards Clayton but my shop buddies persuaded me to go with MC instead. Overall, after driving it for roughly 800 miles I'm okay with it. Still has a bit of a rake that I'm concerned will increase as the springs settle, and both front springs are bowed. This is a Sport S diesel and I think the only modification are some pucks in the front to account for the increased weight. Had some really bad, multiple issues with the wrong parts being shipped and am still waiting for the correct rear trackbar to show up as well as some additional pucks that they think will address the front springs bowing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Show me: Lift and Specs 1624555875537

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Metal Cloak 3.5" Gamechanger installed last week with Fox 2.0 shocks.

I was originally leaning towards Clayton but my shop buddies persuaded me to go with MC instead. Overall, after driving it for roughly 800 miles I'm okay with it. Still has a bit of a rake that I'm concerned will increase as the springs settle, and both front springs are bowed. This is a Sport S diesel and I think the only modification are some pucks in the front to account for the increased weight. Had some really bad, multiple issues with the wrong parts being shipped and am still waiting for the correct rear trackbar to show up as well as some additional pucks that they think will address the front springs bowing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Show me: Lift and Specs 1624555875537
So overall not too happy I take it? Most shops in my area install MC, good product but I feel like other options are equivalent? Do you have good control? How much lift overall did you get?

Sponsored

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
So overall not too happy I take it? Most shops in my area install MC, good product but I feel like other options are equivalent? Do you have good control? How much lift overall did you get?
I wouldn't say I'm ecstatic but I'm okay LOL! I didn't expect any rake at all and the use of multiple pucks to address spring geometry and the additional weight of the diesel is a bit disappointing but that's something I'll reassess as I put more miles on it and the springs settle.

The ride is fine. Some lateral wiggle but that's most likely due to the sidewall's of the 37's breaking in. I did not benchmark before and after height increase but I was parked next to a JLUR with a 2"Mopar lift last weekend and everyone thought it was as high if not higher than mine. But it was a non-diesel Rubi and I'm a diesel Sport.

Total cost of Lift/Shocks/Install was north of $5K. To be honest, I'd probably just go with the Mopar 2" lift and preserve the integrity of the warranty. Compare @AZRubic0n post above to mine - both riding on 37's but he's the 2" Mopar and I'm the 3.5" MC

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Ben. I bought my Sport S used with Mopar lift already installed. It netted about 3.75” of lift. It is kind of a Frankenstein lift now :) I have added SteerSmarts adjustable front TB, Synergy adjustable rear TB, RK rear TB relo bracket, RK front spring pads (to assist w bowing), added Daystar 3/4” spring spacer (level front). Still sitting in the garage waiting to be installed is a set of EVO adj front LCAs. My current caster is just over 5 degrees and want to get it around 6.5 that’s why installing LCAs. It rides and drives great. If I was starting this as a new build (and everything I’ve learned) would do a more complete kit, especially if you plan to run 37s some day. I was lucky to pick up mostly all new parts at discounted prices because was not in hurry and jeep is not my only vehicle. Here is some pics for reference. First is how I purchased.

386002CC-7548-4DB7-87D6-1BC69C98C4E5.jpeg

87ECD124-BE31-4C3B-BBBB-516F6AA109C7.jpeg

F8A4152B-71A9-4B12-9955-1374FC895A44.jpeg

07A81C7D-FF96-45F8-87C0-A41CF9EEB777.jpeg

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Hey Ben. I bought my Sport S used with Mopar lift already installed. It netted about 3.75” of lift. It is kind of a Frankenstein lift now :) I have added SteerSmarts adjustable front TB, Synergy adjustable rear TB, RK rear TB relo bracket, RK front spring pads (to assist w bowing), added Daystar 3/4” spring spacer (level front). Still sitting in the garage waiting to be installed is a set of EVO adj front LCAs. My current caster is just over 5 degrees and want to get it around 6.5 that’s why installing LCAs. It rides and drives great. If I was starting this as a new build (and everything I’ve learned) would do a more complete kit, especially if you plan to run 37s some day. I was lucky to pick up mostly all new parts at discounted prices because was not in hurry and jeep is not my only vehicle. Here is some pics for reference. First is how I purchased.

Jeep Wrangler JL Show me: Lift and Specs 07A81C7D-FF96-45F8-87C0-A41CF9EEB777

Love the look, how do you like the wheels? What kit would you go with you think?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Love the look, how do you like the wheels? What kit would you go with you think?
Love the wheels. They are Dirty Life DT1s 17x9 BS 4.53 / -12 offset. Since I planned on 37s I added the Rubi flares also.
I would seriously consider a Rock Krawler or MetalCloak lift. The RK Adventure Series is a great kit for the money. If not an extreme off-roader I think you can’t go wrong. Plus, if you decide to get more into that, you can swap out couple parts and you are on your way.
Sponsored