Sponsored

Should we steer clear of the BSG system?

BellyUpFish

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Ok, so my wife is looking at a 2020ish JL..

She's being specific in terms of exterior color - Granite Gray. She's leaning 2020 due to the small upgrades the 2020 models apparently had in handling, creature comforts, etc.

The 2.0L turbo equipped models are much more prevalent on the used market over the 3.6L N/A options.

The BSG and the battery concerns/pricing/failure rate/etc have us considering skipping the 2.0L's all together.

Just curious to see what this groups take on this is.

Is this a rational thought for us, or are we making a non-existent problem into an issue?
Sponsored

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
On Edit: After re reading your question, I see you are concerned with the BSG system.
It appears the BSG is an optional feature. I do not have the BSG nor can I make a knowledgeable comment about it since it is completely new to me.
From a few minutes of research, it appears Jeep may be dropping that option for the 2021 Wranglers

Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

She's being specific in terms of exterior color - Granite Gray. She's leaning 2020 due to the small upgrades the 2020 models apparently had in handling, creature comforts, etc.

The 2.0L turbo equipped models are much more prevalent on the used market over the 3.6L N/A options.

The BSG and the battery concerns/pricing/failure rate/etc have us considering skipping the 2.0L's all together.

Is this a rational thought for us, or are we making a non-existent problem into an issue?
Sorry to break it to you but..
You can't get BSG on the 2.0 anymore.
If you want to avoid the BSG, you would do well to steer clear of the 3.6 V6.
Because that's the only engine option with BSG.

With that said, I love the BSG on mine.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

You may as well ask if 2dr is better than 4dr, if Rubicons are worth it, or what kind of oil to use... you’re going to get very passionate responses.

Go with your gut.

Since you’re asking, my gut says Simple > Complex > Complicated. In other words, 3.6 without the BSG. It’s what I have. Turbo, 4xe, BSG, Diesel, etc. all vary between complex and complicated, IMO. Even the naturally aspirated, non-BSG version of the 3.6 is made complex by the stupid ESS system. Luckily, that is easy to (permanently) bypass.
Sponsored