Sponsored

Should we expect major incentives b/c of Corona

Do plunging Sales from Corona mean incentives are coming?

• Total voters

Myka L

First Name
Myka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
In my line of work I see a ton of businesses suffering, and i mean badly. All due to Corona and people staying in. Even real estate brokers say the same way good weather gets folks into houses, Corona keeps them out. Reastaurants -> ouch. Have not been to the movies but looking at box office Mojo I see they havent broken 100K since mid February.

Question: Doing plunging sales usually encourage incentives from car manufacturers? I cant think of last crisis like this.
Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I don’t get the hysteria except for the frail.

Some people are so uneducated about it that even Corona beer is suffering. SMH

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I believe that we will see large numbers of cases in the US over the next couple of months. The number of reported cases may track other countries and double (or more) every week.

the financial markets are in the process of trying to “price in” the economic impact of something like this scenario and that is one of the reasons that the markets are selling off. I no longer think that this is about a “supply” recession. I think that “supply” will start to come on line in factories in Asia (China, mostly). I think that this latest downward movement is about domestic demand.

travel and entertainment is getting slaughtered.
I believe that consumer durables (but reasonably discretionary —- like cars) are going to get slaughtered as people wait for a month or two before buying. So, to drive demand, companies will offer increased traditional incentives.

the market has needed a reason to correct. It found one and a “big one”...... I believe that it will trigger a short-term bear market that will last the balance of this year.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I think that much of the concern is conflicting information. On one hand we're being told that it's alright to go to work even if you're infected. On the other, the sky is falling. I suspect that the correct answer is somewhere in the middle. That said, I've been pleasantly surprised by Mike Pence's candor. The truth is an ally in these situations.

As an aside: Why would anyone get on a cruise ship now? Even if they were literally giving the tickets away.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
the market has needed a reason to correct. It found one and a “big one”...... I believe that it will trigger a short-term bear market that will last the balance of this year.
To your point, this correction is way overdue, and it's healthy for the market. For a while now the market has been kept up artificially. I have a friend who calls it "burning desks and chairs to stay warm" - never a good idea in the long-term.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
60,000 cases in China. A total of 1.4 billion people live in China....... seams like small potatoes in the big picture.. of those only a small percentage become critical. 100,000 cases, world population of 8-ish billion.. I’ll bet your chances of being killed in an auto accident are higher, than becoming critical from coronavirus and dying. Funny how we still all drive cars and don’t worry about that.

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
The infectious disease opinions here are pretty good but whether it's a global crisis or an April fools joke, businesses are suffering. I would not be surprised if car sales are way down. I don't know how that effects incentives though.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I think that much of the concern is conflicting information. On one hand we're being told that it's alright to go to work even if you're infected. On the other, the sky is falling. I suspect that the correct answer is somewhere in the middle. That said, I've been pleasantly surprised by Mike Pence's candor. The truth is an ally in these situations.

As an aside: Why would anyone get on a cruise ship now? Even if they were literally giving the tickets away.
I would. lol Lots of room in the pool now.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
60,000 cases in China. A total of 1.4 billion people live in China....... seams like small potatoes in the big picture.. of those only a small percentage become critical. 100,000 cases, world population of 8-ish billion.. I’ll bet your chances of being killed in an auto accident are higher, than becoming critical from coronavirus and dying. Funny how we still all drive cars and don’t worry about that.
We don't know the real #'s in china for infected and dead. We will never know the real #'s. We also see Russia is reporting zero cases - again the truth is not being shared.

What we do know is the Chinese government did a very good job getting it contained it in a way that is impossible in any free society. They basically tossed enough water and MRE's into apartment complexes for the number of residents and chained the doors shut for 2 weeks and said "anyone gets sick let us know" and let it burn itself out. No train, busses, or flights without specific approvals. No freedom of movement means no chance of spread and it did as expected - burnt out.

But it is moving very differently in the free worlds. We have idiots not wanting to cancel large public gatherings which will be a disaster. SxSW for example. This is where we get in trouble as once the hospitals are overloaded things get nasty.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
I agree. However my wife works at Emory University in Atlanta which is the national CDC. The real numbers of infected will never known. Most people will have flu symptoms and never seek medical assistance until they become very ill. Only that number will be accounted for. SARS is worse, with a 10% mortality rate and still in many countries including the US we just don’t hear too much about it any more ( old news ) On a good note the Media is making lots of money with a story that is pushing the public into a frenzy. We all know how accurate the news coverage is and the fact that the world is full of Forrest Gumps, that believe all that is reported to be true and accurate. Everyone needs to do the math and slow the panic. Most of the countries that have large numbers of patients also have socialized medicine and we all should know how good that is.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Mass hysteria is dumb. Think of this new form of the virus as simply a catalyst in the infected host that can lead to other upper respiratory infections and sickness.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mass hysteria is dumb. Think of this new form of the virus as simply a catalyst in the infected host that can lead to other upper respiratory infections and sickness.
Agreed. And, I suspect that the vast majority of us could simply get well at home; just like any flu. The real danger is spreading the virus to people who have weaker constitutions (Washington nursing home deaths = 2/3s of all US deaths).

It may be calming to see a synopsis of the (lack of) healthiness of the victims so far. It may be a relief to see that they were much more vulnerable than the general population.
Sponsored