Should Jeep make a 2 door Sahara?

Should Jeep make a 2 door Sahara?

• Total voters

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
We call the Sahara a pretty boys Jeep. Just about as expensive as Rubicon but no mechanical upgrades. I've said ever since the JK was released that they didn't even need too make a 2 door Sahara. All the pretty boys here buy 4 doors.
This is one of the worst comments I’ve read on this site and I’ve never owned a Sahara or a 4 dr
Sponsored

OP
OP
YFD_322

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
I think maybe a soccer mom vehicle

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I don't get it myself, how much more would it cost building a two door Sahara? It isn't like they're creating a whole new vehicle, 99% of it is the same vs four door. Besides driveshaft and side steps, what else is different?

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I don't get it myself, how much more would it cost building a two door Sahara? It isn't like they're creating a whole new vehicle, 99% of it is the same vs four door. Besides driveshaft and side steps, what else is different?
As others have pointed out, it may be less cost than missed opportunity. You want a Sahara? Fine, but you have to pay more for the 4-door version.

Sponsored

Bluerhino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2005 Porsche 911 S
We call the Sahara a pretty boys Jeep. Just about as expensive as Rubicon but no mechanical upgrades. I've said ever since the JK was released that they didn't even need too make a 2 door Sahara. All the pretty boys here buy 4 doors.
Wow...so short sighted.

Well next time you see one of the pretty boy Sahara drivers you should personally go up and thank them for supporting the brand.

It’s those pretty boys that help keep the Wrangler relevant in a very competitive market. It’s also those pretty boys that allow FCA to have the extra funds to invest in the brand and come up with all the great new features you are getting.

This comment reminds of the Porsche 911 purists or...that’s what they call themselves. Trust me I love my 911 and would only sell it if I was replacing it with a different one. But unlike some of them I am also not naive enough to believe the brand would survive without the 911 luxury models, the Boxster and Cayenne. The 911 would be dead a long time ago without them. There would be no GT3’s or GT3RS’s... can you imagine? So thank you Boxster drivers. Without you I would not have my 911. So I do give them a wave when I’m out in my 911. If you didn’t know 911 drivers have been doing the forever. Maybe the Boxster drivers don’t have a clue why I am waving but maybe one day they will figure it out.

The Wrangler is enjoying its success in a similar way. By marketing to a larger group it has the funds to do more. The model has excelled and with that been able to justify creating a fantastic Rubicon product. Without the Sahara would they have the same success...would they invest the same.. I doubt it. Don’t forget these are business decisions and products only revolve around the bottom line.

So long rant short. When FCA allows me to order my Pretty Boy Sahara with a 2.0L turbo, power sliding top, selec trac and all the other luxurious bells and whistles feel free to thank me along with my other pretty boy brothers by giving us a wave. Because like it or not we are going to wave to you. We love the product and are only helping you.

Oh...and by the way...thanks for the nice comment....I have been told I am rather handsome. It’s nice that you noticed.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Wow...so short sighted.

Well next time you see one of the pretty boy Sahara drivers you should personally go up and thank them for supporting the brand.

It’s those pretty boys that help keep the Wrangler relevant in a very competitive market. It’s also those pretty boys that allow FCA to have the extra funds to invest in the brand and come up with all the great new features you are getting.

This comment reminds of the Porsche 911 purists or...that’s what they call themselves. Trust me I love my 911 and would only sell it if I was replacing it with a different one. But unlike some of them I am also not naive enough to believe the brand would survive without the 911 luxury models, the Boxster and Cayenne. The 911 would be dead a long time ago without them. There would be no GT3’s or GT3RS’s... can you imagine? So thank you Boxster drivers. Without you I would not have my 911. So I do give them a wave when I’m out in my 911. If you didn’t know 911 drivers have been doing the forever. Maybe the Boxster drivers don’t have a clue why I am waving but maybe one day they will figure it out.

The Wrangler is enjoying its success in a similar way. By marketing to a larger group it has the funds to do more. The model has excelled and with that been able to justify creating a fantastic Rubicon product. Without the Sahara would they have the same success...would they invest the same.. I doubt it. Don’t forget these are business decisions and products only revolve around the bottom line.

So long rant short. When FCA allows me to order my Pretty Boy Sahara with a 2.0L turbo, power sliding top, selec trac and all the other luxurious bells and whistles feel free to thank me along with my other pretty boy brothers by giving us a wave. Because like it or not we are going to wave to you. We love the product and are only helping you.

Oh...and by the way...thanks for the nice comment....I have been told I am rather handsome. It’s nice that you noticed.
These days it's the Cayenne's and Panamera's feeding the Porsche income. Without the SUV's and that fugly 4-door they probably wouldn't be making much at all. I'm somebody that always thinks of a 911 first when I think of Porsche, but today's reality is they need those non-traditional vehicles to subsidize the classics. Same with Jeep.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sales of 2-door Wrangler have been tanking since JL launched, without a Sahara version.

Offering the 2-door in every trim would probably help stabilize 2-door Wrangler sales.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Sales of 2-door Wrangler have been tanking since JL launched, without a Sahara version.

Offering the 2-door in every trim would probably help stabilize 2-door Wrangler sales.
I disagree; there’s correlation there but not necessarily causation. I believe the two door sales would fall regardless.

To answer the OP:
Should Jeep offer a 2-door Sahara? -Probably not. I’m sure they know their books better than we do and probably calculated that it wouldn’t be worth the cost.
Do I want them to? -I don’t care either way. I have no dog in this fight.
Would I be upset if they did? -No, more options for the consumer is a good thing.

Sponsored

Archeonomy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vanderhall
1. I do think eliminating the 2 door Sahara nudged many would-be buyers into the more expensive, higher margin 4 door version.
2. The 80th anniversary 2 door is basically a 2 door Sahara, no?
3. Playing tough guy on an internet forum and making fun of some other guy's Jeep choice makes you look like a tool.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
1. I do think eliminating the 2 door Sahara nudged many would-be buyers into the more expensive, higher margin 4 door version.
2. The 80th anniversary 2 door is basically a 2 door Sahara, no?
3. Playing tough guy on an internet forum and making fun of some other guy's Jeep choice makes you look like a tool.
Apparently, the 80A is listed officially as a Sport.

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I don't know if the appeal would be there. Most people who buy Saharas are going for a bit more luxury, not for off-roading. Therefore, I guess these clients would go for a JLUS anyway...

I mean...would you off-road with a Sahara or would you be scared to scratch the paint? I guess those who'd check the Sahara option box for 2DRs would be very limited.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Funny how some need to express a quick opinion about fellow Sahara owners.

Thing is, Sahara 2-door held its own in sales when it was offered as a JK.

Per FCA “knowing its numbers”, that’s one big assumption. Despite all the rosy press releases about how well Q1 sales went, the reality is FCA lost market share in Q1: FCA sales rebounded at half the rate of the overall market.
Sponsored

Last edited: