Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I have rubi springs and shocks sitting in the garage, will order longer LCAs soon to upgrade my sport suspension. I've been debating if I should do the install myself or take it to a shop.

If I wanted to do it myself I would have to invest in a few tools. Impact driver, set of impact sockets, lift jack, etc... which would add up close to what the shop would charge.

How easy is this job? how long would it take me to get it done with the right tools and mindset? how much would a shop charge for the job? $300?

Pros of doing this myself:
1) Costs savings in the long run, as I could use the tools for other jobs such as tire rotations and brakes maintenance/upgrade.
2) Learning experience - confidence to do another lift in the future or go back to sport suspension.

Cons:
1) Could take me a very long time, a day or two that I could spend fishing/hiking/etc...
2) Potential of fucking something up (unlikely?).

i used to change brakes (rotors/pads) of my cars with hand tools before when I was in college to save money, it always took longer than anticipated. I would take the cars to a shop to get the wheels torqued to spec cause I didn't even have money for a torque wrench. I don't do it anymore, as I can easily afford it, it is nice when someone else does the job for me. But now that I have an actual Jeep, adding mods here and there, and have money to invest in proper tools, these kind of easy DIY mechanical work might not be as bad. What do you guys think?
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

its easy.
you dont have to use an impact gun. simple socket set and torque wrench will do. i have no problems investing in tools though. you will use them again at some point in the future. harbor freight can help you save a bunch here. their tools will be more than adequate for occasional backyard repairs.

i took my time. was reading how to threads online while doing it. took me an afternoon. you really cannot fck it up. trust me, after you do it, you will be glad you did not pay someone else to do it. :beer:

i actually took pics and notes and was going to do a detailed thread for a step by step how to but i got sidetracked and now i cant recall lol :headbang:

only thing you have to keep in mind is there is front and rear, and driver and passenger side. there are threads with the info that will help on this forum. just have to search. someone posted a thread with the part numbers for drivers and passengers sides.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I have rubi springs and shocks sitting in the garage, will order longer LCAs soon to upgrade my sport suspension. I've been debating if I should do the install myself or take it to a shop.

If I wanted to do it myself I would have to invest in a few tools. Impact driver, set of impact sockets, lift jack, etc... which would add up close to what the shop would charge.

How easy is this job? how long would it take me to get it done with the right tools and mindset? how much would a shop charge for the job? $300?

1) Costs savings in the long run, as I could use the tools for other jobs such as tire rotations and brakes maintenance/upgrade.
2) Learning experience - confidence to do another lift in the future or go back to sport suspension.

Cons:
1) Could take me a very long time, a day or two that I could spend fishing/hiking/etc...

i used to change brakes (rotors/pads) of my cars with hand tools before when I was in college to save money, it always took longer than anticipated. I would take the cars to a shop to get the wheels torqued to spec cause I didn't even have money for a torque wrench. I don't do it anymore, as I can easily afford it, it is nice when someone else does the job for me. But now that I have an actual Jeep, adding mods here and there, and have money to invest in proper tools, these kind of easy DIY mechanical work might not be as bad. What do you guys think?
Do it yourself . Very satisfying !

Last edited:

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Buy the tools! Doing it yourself will make you prouder of the results.

I second the harbor freight route for any weekend warriors. They are a great value and the new Icon line are as good as any. I wish they were available back when I built my set of tools. I probably have $30000 in snap-on. Years back there were only a few choices for real tools. Today you have many options.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Simple answer is; if you’re able to DIY without too much difficulty - you absolutely should. It’s not very difficult. You’ll learn. You’ll probably enjoy it. You’ll save money. You’ll have the tools and confidence to tackle the next project.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Cons:

DIY....for sure.....:rock:

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Alright you guys all convinced me to do it myself!

just two questions. Which way do you turn a wrench to loosen a nut? and, What is the function of the springs in the suspension?

Joking :CWL:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

For torquing the LCAs you can borrow a big daddy torque wrench from Autozone. I borrowed one and had it for two weeks for my project. No charge at all, just a refundable deposit. They have wide variety of loaner tools you can borrow. So you dont have to buy everything NOW.

Start with 3/8” socket set for building your tools. Then eventually .5” and then 1/4”

craftsman has a nice mechanics tool set that has a few hundred pieces for like $200 when on sale. Maybe even less. Thats where i started and expanded from there.

i have ryobi power tool line including cordless impact. I use and abuse them. If i had to do it again i would go HF and get their warranties. HF warranty is legit. Walk in and out the store with no hassles.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Cons:

I'd definitely suggest DIY. This won't be the last jeep modification you do so being able to do it yourself makes it much easier and economical.

Safe the labour and put it towards more parts and tools!

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Take it to a shop. You’ll probably break something or injure yourself. Lol. Just kidding.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
For torquing the LCAs you can borrow a big daddy torque wrench from Autozone. I borrowed one and had it for two weeks for my project. No charge at all, just a refundable deposit. They have wide variety of loaner tools you can borrow. So you dont have to buy everything NOW.

Start with 3/8” socket set for building your tools. Then eventually .5” and then 1/4”

craftsman has a nice mechanics tool set that has a few hundred pieces for like $200 when on sale. Maybe even less. Thats where i started and expanded from there.

i have ryobi power tool line including cordless impact. I use and abuse them. If i had to do it again i would go HF and get their warranties. HF warranty is legit. Walk in and out the store with no hassles.
I already have a torque wrench and a few tools so for handtools I am all set. I need a jack and jack stands.

I went to mech. engineering school so I am a torque freak lol, no peace of mind unless I torque stuff to spec, I also send it for calibration every year. I am used to tinkering with small stuff, computers, electronics, etc... but not so much automotive. yet!

I am doing my first oil change today :)

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I already have a torque wrench and a few tools so for handtools I am all set. I need a jack and jack stands.

I went to mech. engineering school so I am a torque freak lol, no peace of mind unless I torque stuff to spec, I also send it for calibration every year. I am used to tinkering with small stuff, computers, electronics, etc... but not so much automotive. yet!

Look up Femco valves as if you do your own oil changes it's a wonderful thing.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Definitely go to harbor freight for a jack and jack stands. If the jack is on sale you could get a jack and 4 jack stands for 150 if not less.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i got the Daytona jack from HF. ive owned multiple floor jacks. this is by far the best one. standard 2 year warranty to boot. pricey but worth it. also has tall lift which is what you'll need for wrangler. get whatever floor jack has the highest lift.
Sponsored