First Name
Tushar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara , 2013 Jeep Compass
Hi Fellow Jeepers,

Help Needed !
I am in process of trading in my 2021 JLU Sahara (3.6L Auto with E-torque) which is currently on 35's KO2's & Fuel Vectors and has only 9400 Km on it. I was like almost about to get it regeared to 4:56 but then thought of trading it only as that makes more sense. I am confused between 2 options. I don't do much off roading hence got the Sahara initially but eventually learnt the money I am/ will be spending on it could have easily got everything in Rubicon to begin with.

I am only concentrating on these 2 models below :
1) Rubicon 2022 with 35'' Extreme Recon Package with other bells & whistles
2) Rubicon 2022 4XE

I am more inclined towards Gasoline 2022 Rubicon coz of following reasons :
  • 35-in tire suspension
  • 4.56 rear axle ratio
  • Dana® M210 wide HD tube front axle
  • 4:1 Rock-Trac HD Full time FWD feature (which I don't have on my current Sahara )
Questions which I have on 4xe :

- How is the new 2.0L DOHC I-4 DI TURBO PHEV ENGINE as compared to 3.6L V6 Pentastar ?
- I would definitely like my 4xE ride on 35's & 1.5'' lift kit & then what comes after that correcting speedo & then regear will all that be doable easily considering its HYBIRD ?

I am thinking Gasoline Rubicon 2022 is the way to go considering the money I would be spending on 4xE later can now be spent & would be a little cheaper. Please suggest.

Pics of my current rig for those interested.

Jeep Wrangler JL Should I trade 2021 JLU Sahara for 2022 Rubicon or 2022 Rubicon 4xE Jeep 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Should I trade 2021 JLU Sahara for 2022 Rubicon or 2022 Rubicon 4xE Jeep 2
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hi Fellow Jeepers,

Help Needed !
I am in process of trading in my 2021 JLU Sahara (3.6L Auto with E-torque) which is currently on 35's KO2's & Fuel Vectors and has only 9400 Km on it. I was like almost about to get it regeared to 4:56 but then thought of trading it only as that makes more sense. I am confused between 2 options. I don't do much off roading hence got the Sahara initially but eventually learnt the money I am/ will be spending on it could have easily got everything in Rubicon to begin with.

I am only concentrating on these 2 models below :
1) Rubicon 2022 with 35'' Extreme Recon Package with other bells & whistles
2) Rubicon 2022 4XE

I am more inclined towards Gasoline 2022 Rubicon coz of following reasons :
  • 35-in tire suspension
  • 4.56 rear axle ratio
  • Dana® M210 wide HD tube front axle
  • 4:1 Rock-Trac HD Full time FWD feature (which I don't have on my current Sahara )
Questions which I have on 4xe :

- How is the new 2.0L DOHC I-4 DI TURBO PHEV ENGINE as compared to 3.6L V6 Pentastar ?
- I would definitely like my 4xE ride on 35's & 1.5'' lift kit & then what comes after that correcting speedo & then regear will all that be doable easily considering its HYBIRD ?

I am thinking Gasoline Rubicon 2022 is the way to go considering the money I would be spending on 4xE later can now be spent & would be a little cheaper. Please suggest.

Pics of my current rig for those interested.

Jeep 1.jpg

Jeep 2.jpg
So you're basically trading to get 4:56 gears? And you don't intend to offroad? Personally I would just get gears done on the Sahara. There really isn't much difference between the two motors unless you live at elevation.

If you get a 4Xe it will have 4:10 gears which would also be fine.

Do some reading, there are a lot of people in here modding the 4Xe. By the sounds of it though, the Rubicon has a lot more than you require. It's literally built for offroading. If you absolutely need to get into a new Jeep, look at the Willys XR. That will suit your needs and won't have all the bells and whistles of Rubicon crap you won't use.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
You are proposing to spend a lot of $$ for capability you’ve stated that you dont need/won’t use. Obvious question is “why”. “the look”? Really? Your money so your ride but I just don’t get it. I’d keep the one I have and just switch gearing if that’s what floats your boat. Be a bunch less $$ and give you what you’re wanting. YMMV

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting way to fixate on what makes the most financial sense, while blowing a ton on money at the same time.

Oh, wait, this is a Jeep forum...

Sponsored

MeanTT

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 4xe, 1965; Backdraft Cobra with a true 427
Another option is to slap Rubricon fenders on your Sahara and new gears. That’s super cheap and can radically change the look.

I love my 4xe in every way EXCEPT that I have every possible warning light because I regeared to 5.13. You can’t program new gears above a 4.49 for the 4xe yet and so, you can’t regear a 4xe.

im running 37s with the Mopar lift.

You should also consider downloading an app that will show you Offroad trails nearby and go do it once or twice. I took my wife for the first time a few weeks ago and she had a blast. That may impact if you want to go for lockers etc. that a Rubricon can offer.

90777B58-D094-4133-9ADB-0AE6A5A722B7.jpeg

3DB14ADC-A81F-40C2-B211-DA386781A95B.jpeg

D238FCF9-4881-4633-9941-0B8F768873CD.jpeg

9226BC81-9690-4310-95E1-BBCAD426FDD1.jpeg

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
No just regear. Costs less than what you’ll lose in the trade. Unless you have Rubicon envy, then there’s no help for that.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
No just regear. Costs less than what you’ll lose in the trade. Unless you have Rubicon envy, then there’s no help for that.
...lose in the trade, in taxes and in registration. You never get any of that money back.

I’m in somewhat similar situation to the OP: have a 2018 Sahara with 8,900 miles. It is fully equipped, has the V6, 8-speed auto, Selec-Trac, LSD, a Mopar lift and 35s. The Jeep is an absolute beast.

I am looking to re-gear right now: the thought of spending another $2,500-$3,000 certainly gives me pause. But that’s still a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of trading in, and paying for tax and license all over again. Tax and license on a $60,000 vehicle is $5,500 around here. Never mind the $3,500 I already spent on the Mopar lift and the 35s.

Add to that that the Jeep has been totally trouble-free. Every time you get a new Jeep, you roll the dice...

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Spending any money on offroad stuff (including entire trim packages) if you don't offroad doesn't even make any sense to me.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I'll echo what others have said - the juice just isn't worth the squeeze on your current scenario.

Another factor is that the '22 is basically the '21, but newer. No real changes between the models.

I highlight this because the '23 is widely expected (but NOT confirmed) to be the mid-model refresh, with attention paid to the interior (Uconnect 5, etc) and likely more "responses" to the Bronco (similar to the Xtreme Recon package).

My advice would be to sit tight with your '21 Sahara, do whatever the minimum needed to it, and wait it out. Used car prices aren't likely to return to pre-COVID levels anytime soon, sadly, and short of a wreck, your '21 Sahara isn't likely to decrease much in value over the next ~12 months anyways.

TL;DR - trading a '21 for a '22 doesn't make much financial sense, as the models are basically the same (aside from trim/options you choose). Hold out to see what the '23 includes, as it's probable to offer more improvements that are worth trading up for.

Deleted member 59498

That sure is a handsome Sahara! Beyond that I don't have much opinion.

Oh besides, get a diesel! 🤣

OP
OP
Tushar

Tushar

First Name
Tushar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara , 2013 Jeep Compass
...lose in the trade, in taxes and in registration. You never get any of that money back.

I’m in somewhat similar situation to the OP: have a 2018 Sahara with 8,900 miles. It is fully equipped, has the V6, 8-speed auto, Selec-Trac, LSD, a Mopar lift and 35s. The Jeep is an absolute beast.

I am looking to re-gear right now: the thought of spending another $2,500-$3,000 certainly gives me pause. But that’s still a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of trading in, and paying for tax and license all over again. Tax and license on a $60,000 vehicle is $5,500 around here. Never mind the $3,500 I already spent on the Mopar lift and the 35s.

Add to that that the Jeep has been totally trouble-free. Every time you get a new Jeep, you roll the dice...
Ya I am being offered 51K for the same, where in i got it for 55K minus the GST/HST, extended warranty, lift kit, wheels & tires

motor12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
retired
Do it, life is too short to worry about a few bucks. If you have the money enjoy yourself. There are lots of folks who have a Rubicon just because they can.
Sponsored