Sponsored

Should I spend the money on a soft top for Summer??

Blues

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I had the premium soft top on my JK, and loved the way it looked and how easy and quick it was to fold the front back and enjoy the day. The only things I didn't like were having to take the back window out if I wanted to load something over two foot square in the back, and keeping the stinking cats off the roof in the summer. Never trained them to stay off, but did train them to run if I came out yelling and swearing! My soft top was actually quieter than my hard top with the liner. Heavy snow never caused a problem with it, but I did park it in the shop if they called for a foot or more of snow. I need the hard top now for the window, as my old dog needs steps to get in the back and the window needs to be open. If my dog can't go with me, I ain't going.
Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I roll premium softtop year round and love it can have top down in the same time it takes my kids to get there seatbelts on

OP
OP
Redskinfan72

Redskinfan72

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
I had the premium soft top on my JK, and loved the way it looked and how easy and quick it was to fold the front back and enjoy the day. The only things I didn't like were having to take the back window out if I wanted to load something over two foot square in the back, and keeping the stinking cats off the roof in the summer. Never trained them to stay off, but did train them to run if I came out yelling and swearing! My soft top was actually quieter than my hard top with the liner. Heavy snow never caused a problem with it, but I did park it in the shop if they called for a foot or more of snow. I need the hard top now for the window, as my old dog needs steps to get in the back and the window needs to be open. If my dog can't go with me, I ain't going.
I had the premium on my old JK as well. I went with the Hardtop bc of the climate but do like the soft top for Summer. Thank you for your input! I appreciate all the positive comments and help here on the forum...Jeep People are great !

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The only problem is carting around the windows when you put it down. They’re fairly big and scratch just looking at them.
Lol. I scratched mine up on my 3rd day of ownership. They have miles of AZ pinstripes now. I don’t care. You can replace all 3 for less than $400. Soft top for the win!

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
I happened to find the exact JLU I wanted on a local lot in March...but it didn't have the dual-top group. After checking the forum multiple times per day, religiously, I was able to purchase a brand new premium soft top from a fellow forum member in May. Best "accessory"/mod purchase to date! The ability to drive around with the top open and quickly get to safari mode if it starts to rain allows me to go topless so much more than if I didn't have it. I setup a hoist in the garage so getting the hard top on/off is no problem, but there seems to be a decent chance of rain literally every day in the Spring/Summer here in Chicago, so the idea of finding myself out and about with no top would mean spending a lot of days with the top on when it could have been off.

The only down side with the soft top: taking the windows with me is a hassle. I have the premium audio with the subwoofer so the Mopar window storage bag is a bit of an awkward way to store the windows on the go. But, I've been in the rain (with and without doors) in safari-mode and that's been more than acceptable, even on the highway.

I love the soft top!

Sponsored

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Now that my wife and I have our Jeeps as daily drivers, we appreciate how easy it is to load and unload the cargo area with a hard top. We got the Bestop sunrider to enjoy the open air feeling (empty nesters) and to be able to close the top almost instantaneously because of Florida’s frequent pop up thunderstorms.

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
@Redskinfan72 It all depends on what you want to spend, but there are deals to be had.
For example:
Mopar Sail Cloth: @1250 - https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/search?search_str=82215806
Mopar Twill: $1600 - https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/search?search_str=82215147
I have never used BAM, but I have seen them mentioned on here.

Just find the part numbers on QT, and then plug them in to google and do a little searching.

I too will be looking for a soft top soon, but for a JLU, and when I started looking at the end of last summer (after I got caught in a thunderstorm with no rook on, the Jeep has never smelled the same!) I found some deals locally. Also, as @MotownJLU said, keep an eye on the marketplace forum here, Craigslist, etc. The JL may be rarer, but they come up for the JLU.

Question to those of you who have bought a soft top, did you go for sail cloth or twill?
If one or the other, why?
- I'm curious what the real difference is :)
BAM wholesale parts are the real deal and some of the best prices, and they are very good about returns.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I ordered ours with the factory default soft-top. We are planning to get @myTop electric top installed. Couldn't see spending money on the premium top.

IMG_0684.JPG
Did you ever get yours? I'm looking all over members who have one as well, but I feel like I'm the only one.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever get yours? I'm looking all over members who have one as well, but I feel like I'm the only one.
the premium soft top is 100 times better, I have the premium andlooked at the factory base soft top at a dealer... it sis totally worth the money... the factory one looks like plastic and has seems inside

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
the premium soft top is 100 times better, I have the premium andlooked at the factory base soft top at a dealer... it sis totally worth the money... the factory one looks like plastic and has seems inside
Sorry I was referring to the mytop

Sponsored

hawgwld

First Name
Hawgwld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Sorry I was referring to the mytop
I have it installed now for few months. Works great. Just 2 latches, push button and top is down or up. Top material and hardware is all very good quality. The Black/Silver is higher quality material than the other color. It is thicker and has more sound deadening material in it. The @myTop has some draw backs I have notices. It does not use any track system above the door like other tops. Hence the seal is not as tight above the door frames. I have had any only minor leaks and you just are careful at carwash. Definitely get an authorized installer. It is a bitch to install. Alignment is the biggest issue. They will only warranty it if authorized installer does it. I had them find me one close enough if I had to run back a couple of times it would not be a hassle. They were very helpful and found local 4 Wheel Parts that would be authorized installer for them. Better if you find someone who as done a few. Took 4 Wheel Parts a about 4 days and numerous hours of video calls with MyTop to get it installed right. I was luck the manager was involved the whole time and he was like it will be right! They only charged me the install quoted price. I know they lost money on it for the hours they spent!

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I have it installed now for few months. Works great. Just 2 latches, push button and top is down or up. Top material and hardware is all very good quality. The Black/Silver is higher quality material than the other color. It is thicker and has more sound deadening material in it. The @myTop has some draw backs I have notices. It does not use any track system above the door like other tops. Hence the seal is not as tight above the door frames. I have had any only minor leaks and you just are careful at carwash. Definitely get an authorized installer. It is a bitch to install. Alignment is the biggest issue. They will only warranty it if authorized installer does it. I had them find me one close enough if I had to run back a couple of times it would not be a hassle. They were very helpful and found local 4 Wheel Parts that would be authorized installer for them. Better if you find someone who as done a few. Took 4 Wheel Parts a about 4 days and numerous hours of video calls with MyTop to get it installed right. I was luck the manager was involved the whole time and he was like it will be right! They only charged me the install quoted price. I know they lost money on it for the hours they spent!
Nice! My install was pretty much a breeze. I dropped off, picked up in a couple hours and it was perfect. Did some water testing the next day and not a single drop got through their monster seals.

Maybe it's because I live in a city with tons of Wranglers around, but my shop has been installing the myTops since JK days, so they have a lot of experience.
Sponsored