Sponsored

Should I sell my JLUR for TRD Pro 4Runner?

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Had a 2017 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium that I bought new on 27 May 2017. I ordered it with the TRD Pro suspension, brakes, intake, grille, and wheels. Essentially it was a Pro with a sunroof (which was not available at the time.) Before I purchased I had narrowed the field to the Toyota and a 2017 JK Rubicon. I went with the 4Runner for overall build quality for the same price as the Jeep.

I apparently had the 5:00pm Friday afternoon build on the 4Runner line. I had a steady string of issues with the thing, which I know is an anomaly, but were there nonetheless. Because they were anomalies, I’ll focus on the rest of the observations.

- The thing drove terribly on long trips. You didn’t so much steer it as aim it in the general direction you wanted it to go. Any significant bumps on or off road and it was a guess as to where you would end up. Highway speeds magnified the problem. Every trip was two hands in the wheel more than my current JLR, which drives like a dream compared to the 4Runner.

- The Toyota got horrible gas mileage and was tremendously under powered. I’m ok with a lack of power if you get decent mileage. I’m ok with a lack of mileage as long as there’s decent power. To not have either was awful.

- The overall handling was very very poor compared to my Rubicon. Center of gravity felt off... or at least too high at a minimum. Truck felt fairly unstable on uneven terrain, especially compared with the JLR.

Between these observations and the mechanical issues, I sold the 4Runner a year later and bought my 2018 JLR. The Jeep has been my daily as well as an on/off road trip vehicle and I’ve never looked back. JLR has 25,000 miles on it now (and I was overseas for 15 months of the 23 months I’ve now owned it.) It’s done great on and off road, short trips and long.

All things considered though, my thoughts are not yours. You should buy what fits your lifestyle, needs and wants. If the Jeep isn’t doing it, find what will and run with it.
Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
My wife has a 2020 Cherokee Trail Hawk and still looks for reasons to get behind the wheel of my 2020 JLUR! Keep the Jeep!
I know the feeling, had two Cherokee TH's great vehicles! My wife's lease ran out so I said she could have my TH she agreed! Got "my" 2018 JLU next thing I know I'm driving my 2015 TH and she's lovin' the JLU!!! Yipes, I get to drive it weekends! lol ;)

Go Jeep!!!

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Had a 2017 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium that I bought new on 27 May 2017. I ordered it with the TRD Pro suspension, brakes, intake, grille, and wheels. Essentially it was a Pro with a sunroof (which was not available at the time.) Before I purchased I had narrowed the field to the Toyota and a 2017 JK Rubicon. I went with the 4Runner for overall build quality for the same price as the Jeep.

I apparently had the 5:00pm Friday afternoon build on the 4Runner line. I had a steady string of issues with the thing, which I know is an anomaly, but were there nonetheless. Because they were anomalies, I’ll focus on the rest of the observations.

- The thing drove terribly on long trips. You didn’t so much steer it as aim it in the general direction you wanted it to go. Any significant bumps on or off road and it was a guess as to where you would end up. Highway speeds magnified the problem. Every trip was two hands in the wheel more than my current JLR, which drives like a dream compared to the 4Runner.

- The Toyota got horrible gas mileage and was tremendously under powered. I’m ok with a lack of power if you get decent mileage. I’m ok with a lack of mileage as long as there’s decent power. To not have either was awful.

- The overall handling was very very poor compared to my Rubicon. Center of gravity felt off... or at least too high at a minimum. Truck felt fairly unstable on uneven terrain, especially compared with the JLR.

Between these observations and the mechanical issues, I sold the 4Runner a year later and bought my 2018 JLR. The Jeep has been my daily as well as an on/off road trip vehicle and I’ve never looked back. JLR has 25,000 miles on it now (and I was overseas for 15 months of the 23 months I’ve now owned it.) It’s done great on and off road, short trips and long.

All things considered though, my thoughts are not yours. You should buy what fits your lifestyle, needs and wants. If the Jeep isn’t doing it, find what will and run with it.
Wow! Thanks for the real life feedback! Sucks to hear about your issues with the 4Runner. Def not like them. But I’m in the camp that either would be a win because I think they’re two of the best vehicles on the road. Thanks again.

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
IMG_20200710_153635.jpg

From someone who has both....
I love both. The Jeep is mine, 4R is the wife's. Both have 3 carseats in the back too. We take either of them camping.

What's the real difference? Sure, for a longer trip and NOT camping, we typically go in the 4R because it's a little more comfy for a long trip. That said, sometimes we take the Jeep because it's a little more fun just to be in. Honestly, most people will never need or use the capability of a Rubicon, but it's nice to have. The 4R is VERY capable in its own right, and again, more than most will max out.

You can't lose whatever you pick and either one will take you where you want to go. The Jeep is a lifestyle vehicle, the 4R is a bulletproof workhorse. If it's looks that gets you, go for. The ride will be more comfortable, but it'll never be as fun either.

And just to poke the beast. Since money doesn't seem to be an issue, get both
Agree completely. I think both have their pros for sure. Thanks for all your feedback and honesty! Two nice vehicles y’all have. Love them both.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Wow! Thanks for the real life feedback! Sucks to hear about your issues with the 4Runner. Def not like them. But I’m in the camp that either would be a win because I think they’re two of the best vehicles on the road. Thanks again.
Anytime! Glad to help. If you need anything else let me know. Good luck!

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I specifically wanted a 4runner before my JL, test drove them compared to the JL, they felt like driving a truck from 2010 in tech, trans, etc. It was a 2019 and had basically the same media system and old UI as my 2008 Lexus. Whenever they finally fully update them I'd probably get rid of the Jeep but no way until then.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
So I have a 2020 JLUR with 35x12.50 KM3 and the rest stock. Ordered it last year and have only put about 975 miles on it in right at a year. I haven’t used it like I thought I would and don’t have as much time for the off road as I thought I would (just some mild trails and on our farm driving). I love the Jeep but I also love the 20 army green TRD pro 4 runner and wonder if I would get more use out of it? I know this is a JL forum and I may have opened myself up for a lot of criticism but maybe someone will talk me into one or the other. Hoping some of you have experience with both. Thanks

84995E7F-72E9-4640-92E0-40C450F7FB6C.png
Won't you miss the waves?

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Last year I sold my JK, test drove 4R's and Tacomas and ended up with a Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4. Both 4R and Tacoma are solid, reliable vehicles. One year later, truck is gone and I'm back in a Jeep.

It sounds like a cliche, but the Jeep puts a smile on my face when I drive it, it winks at me when I see it. The Toyota never did that for me.

I know however TRD owners for whom their Toyota does that for them, and a Jeep leaves them pretty indifferent. It depends entirely on the person. Obviously, you can't go wrong with a Toyota, just make sure you really like them.

ShiftGear

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I think you should go on more trips, off road, camping etc... and really see what your Jeep is about. After a few trips if you still feel strongly to sell it and get a 4runner, go for it. At barely 1000 miles you really haven't been able to get a real use out of the Jeep. I used to have 3 Tacomas in the last 12 years, loved all of them. Cannot beat the reliability of Toyota, however now that we are doing harder trails, rock crawling (in the future) and just more advanced off roading I switched platforms to the JL. If your not doing anything advanced then mabye a switch to the 4runner for casual camping and forest service roads is what you really want but you can do that in a Jeep and more. Also, IFS has it's limitations, pros and cons as well to solid front axle. In the end you have a very capable Jeep and if it's just aesthetics and you want something new and shiny then it's your money, your life and go for it!

Sponsored

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It has been 24hrs plus, where do we stand? Jeep or Toyota? Yes, this group needs closure hahaha.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Did they update the 4runner finally? The interior on the '18s was abysmal.

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Did they update the 4runner finally? The interior on the '18s was abysmal.
A little bit. 20 army green has push start, Apple play and some safety features but it’s still behind. I just would buy it due to its reliability and history. I know the interior is way behind and the 5 speed manual is not great but no one can argue it’s bulletproof history which I like a lot

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
A little bit. 20 army green has push start, Apple play and some safety features but it’s still behind. I just would buy it due to its reliability and history. I know the interior is way behind and the 5 speed manual is not great but no one can argue it’s bulletproof history which I like a lot
So it is the same body style? That's too bad. The 4runners are great but the interior is just horrendous imo.

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
So it is the same body style? That's too bad. The 4runners are great but the interior is just horrendous imo.
I completely agree with you. That’s one big thing that’s holding me back to be honest. That and 5 speed transmission.
Sponsored