Sponsored

Should I sell my JLUR for TRD Pro 4Runner?

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I own both and prefer driving my JLUR over the 4runner.. The 4runner is under powered and feels like I’m driving an old vehicle with how dated the technology is. The only thing I like about it over the jeep is the additional space for when I take the family somewhere in need the extra room. The JLUR is way more fun to drive, especially off-road.
Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I think you hit it exactly right. If any other color I wouldn’t even want the TRD. I think that color makes us look better but aside from that not even close really. I wouldn’t even consider any other color. And aside from on road driving, the TRD really has no advantage. As much as I love the TRD in that green I think you and everyone else is spot on.
trade your Rubi for one that is sarge green if color is the main factor. My wife’s favorite for the Jeep is sarge green, mine is orange but I couldn’t find either at a reasonable deal and luckily sting gray was a second preference for both of us.

Mostly just drive the Rbi. It has already taken a depreciation hit so trading with 1k or 3k isn’t going to make much difference. Takes some time in the saddle to bond (or not) with a vehicle.

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I own both and prefer driving my JLUR over the 4runner.. The 4runner is under powered and feels like I’m driving an old vehicle with how dated the technology is. The only thing I like about it over the jeep is the additional space for when I take the family somewhere in need the extra room. The JLUR is way more fun to drive, especially off-road.
Good points. Thank you!

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
trade your Rubi for one that is sarge green if color is the main factor. My wife’s favorite for the Jeep is sarge green, mine is orange but I couldn’t find either at a reasonable deal and luckily sting gray was a second preference for both of us.

Mostly just drive the Rbi. It has already taken a depreciation hit so trading with 1k or 3k isn’t going to make much difference. Takes some time in the saddle to bond (or not) with a vehicle.
I second what Kevin said - but I also have a nagging feeling that you are just feeling restless and guilty about not using your Jeep. Also I would not be surprised that after owning Pro Runner for a year or two you will be asking the same questions again. Especially when Jeep came up with a new feature or something. Hey if you can afford to do it - just do it. Or even better, if you can - buy both vehicles and just keep it. I think it will save you from many agonizing conundrum in the future haha.

Oh and one more thing - I am so glad that your wife is okay. That was some serious wreck.

There you go! Good luck! :like:

Context Kevin!! CONTEXT!!! How many times do I have to repeat this????? :giggle:
Thanks for the kind words regarding my wife!

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Just came back to Wrangler life from having driven a GC High Altitude V8 for a little over two years (previously had a 2014 MT JKU). I was considering a 4Runner and when my brother went for a test drove, we actually rode one block and turned around; underpowered with an antiquated engine is an underestimate. Had they offered an eight speed or ten speed transmission with a newer engine, not sure if I’d be in a Wrangler right this second.

My biggest hesitation to come back to a Wrangler was how smooth the GC was and its V8 but I asked myself, honestly, how many long road trips do I take (before COVID)? At best, I would drive for two road trips with the longest one taking no more than five hours. Personally, I would rather drive something fun locally where the top/doors can come off and the Jeep community.

Good luck with the decision!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Just came back to Wrangler life from having driven a GC High Altitude V8 for a little over two years (previously had a 2014 MT JKU). I was considering a 4Runner and when my brother went for a test drove, we actually rode one block and turned around; underpowered with an antiquated engine is an underestimate. Had they offered an eight speed or ten speed transmission with a newer engine, not sure if I’d be in a Wrangler right this second.

My biggest hesitation to come back to a Wrangler was how smooth the GC was and its V8 but I asked myself, honestly, how many long road trips do I take (before COVID)? At best, I would drive for two road trips with the longest one taking no more than five hours. Personally, I would rather drive something fun locally where the top/doors can come off and the Jeep community.

Good luck with the decision!
Yea great points. I’m hesitant on the 5 speed and power of the 4Runner but also love the basically bulletproof history of this vehicle. I’m not one that needs speed and power and but I don’t want to spend $50k for something that feels like a 4 cylinder

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Under 1k miles in a year?! And now you are talking about Tacos?! Hmmm.... you clearly didn't drink the kool-aid. Maybe the Jeep life isn't for you, maybe a sheeple truck like the Taco is ;)
Boooooorrrrrriiiiinnnngggg.
Hey you asked for opinions... lol :)
2.5 years of ownership with 58k miles, spawned the purchase of a '04 LJ which then spawned the purchase of another JL and sold the LJ. We didn't drink the kool-aid... we bathed in it. :)

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Hahaha nice! Love the honest feedback. I think I need to take the top and doors off and go for a long trip and that’ll prove I’ve got the best option.
This. Honestly, the JLUR is nicer than a 4 runner inside especially when optioned with factory leather, and the Toyota's drive is more boring and feels closer to a minivan or something on the road. Which, if you're looking for a vehicle to disappear underneath you and just accomplish its task with good road manners, could be a good thing.

The wrangler I find fun to drive no matter the terrain. It's quirky and fun (I've got a 2 door so even more so) and will tackle anything you throw at it at any point in its lifespan. Long drives with doors and top off seals the deal for me - thing feels like a widebody motorcycle.

Drivetrain is key too. The 4runner has a dog slow ancient transmission. The 8 speed in the wrangler punches with the likes of Audi's twin clutch DSG - lightning fast and fun to drive (in fact, it's the same transmission Audi moved to for the S4, S5, RS4, and RS5 now that they're no longer using DSG) without being complex and unreliable.

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Under 1k miles in a year?! And now you are talking about Tacos?! Hmmm.... you clearly didn't drink the kool-aid. Maybe the Jeep life isn't for you, maybe a sheeple truck like the Taco is ;)
Boooooorrrrrriiiiinnnngggg.
Hey you asked for opinions... lol :)
2.5 years of ownership with 58k miles, spawned the purchase of a '04 LJ which then spawned the purchase of another JL and sold the LJ. We didn't drink the kool-aid... we bathed in it. :)
Hahaha I’m with you. This is my third Jeep and I like it a lot. It’s not that I don’t drink the kool aid.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Yup your JLUR is really a beauty, remember when /if you trade it for a 4Runner you'll only have a Toyo 4Runner not a Jeep!!

Don't mind me I've had 27 Jeeps since 1965 and speaking of reliability only two were bad! Those two were lemons, still loved them and the factory then took care ov them way over original warranties!!

Seems crazy you'd take a loss and trade that great Rubi??? Just a Jeep Nuts two cents !!! :facepalm:

Go jeep!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Yup your JLUR is really a beauty, remember when /if you trade it for a 4Runner you'll only have a Toyo 4Runner not a Jeep!!

Don't mind me I've had 27 Jeeps since 1965 and speaking of reliability only two were bad! Those two were lemons, still loved them and the factory then took care ov them way over original warranties!!

Seems crazy you'd take a loss and trade that great Rubi??? Just a Jeep Nuts two cents !!! :facepalm:

Go jeep!!!
Probably the words I need to hear. Nothing like a rubi really and I know this. Just debating if I need something this capable!? I’m not even comparing off road capabilities of the two because I know for a fact there is no comparison.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Money doesn’t seem to be a concern for you. Unload the Rubicon so someone else can enjoy it. Get yourself the toyota for hauling all your camping stuff.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If you trade your JL, you’ll be buying into a 4 runner that only has 1 more model year before a redesign. I wouldn’t do it.

btw, like others mentioned... how would a 4 runner be anymore practical?

5adventurers

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 Toyota 4Runner, 1991 Toyota Pickup
Jeep Wrangler JL Should I sell my JLUR for TRD Pro 4Runner? IMG_20200710_153635

From someone who has both....
I love both. The Jeep is mine, 4R is the wife's. Both have 3 carseats in the back too. We take either of them camping.

What's the real difference? Sure, for a longer trip and NOT camping, we typically go in the 4R because it's a little more comfy for a long trip. That said, sometimes we take the Jeep because it's a little more fun just to be in. Honestly, most people will never need or use the capability of a Rubicon, but it's nice to have. The 4R is VERY capable in its own right, and again, more than most will max out.

You can't lose whatever you pick and either one will take you where you want to go. The Jeep is a lifestyle vehicle, the 4R is a bulletproof workhorse. If it's looks that gets you, go for. The ride will be more comfortable, but it'll never be as fun either.

And just to poke the beast. Since money doesn't seem to be an issue, get both
Sponsored