Sponsored

Should I sell my JLUR for TRD Pro 4Runner?

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Jeff, I think that if you have space to store the Jeep - you should just keep it. I think you like having a Jeep based on what you wrote. And it is not just about value. My Jeep is my leisure vehicle - the kind that I use just to do something different in life (ie. driving mindlessly with my top off just for the feeling of it) but I have a regular vehicle that I use for other thing.

There - I second Jason :like:

Question is Jeff - will you have the same sentiments if you have the other vehicle. Anything TRD pro 4 runner can do, I am sure that Jeep can do it too. Unless I am wrong.

Jeff, buddy you should know this by now. Anytime Notorious give an advice - just remember that he ALWAYS have this vision of of.. argh I dont know how to explain it - just see the photo below .... and that you should always take some of his advice with a grain of salt. Just in case you wondered where did the Corvette C8 idea came from!!

1mm.jpg
Haha I appreciate your words. You’re def right and the Jeep is far more capable for sure.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Jeeps aren't for everyone, reading between the lines I feel you have already decided to switch you just need that nudge. Both are great vehicles and hold there value, put that aside and look at the room gained , little more road friendly and huge after market like Jeep. Either way you look at it, it is a win win and the ball is in your court....
Thanks! I appreciate that and that’s honestly why this is the only vehicle I’d switch to. I’ve owned many jeeps and love them. But good words of advice and I’d tend to agree. I’m thinking it all depends on the deal I would get at this point to be honest. 2021 coming out soon and 2022 is rumored body change.

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
If I were you I’d start here.
After a few long trips, if you don’t love driving it then maybe revisit.
Yea that’s good advice. You’re prob spot on. Thanks

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Took a look at a 20 Army Green TRD Pro 4 Runner, to each his/her own I guess, but I wouldn't let that thing in my garage. Not half the character of a Rubicon. And I only have a Sport S, but I've road tripped all over the midwest with no issues, and I'm 63. You young pups should have no problem out on the highways.

My Advice, Keep the Rubi

Best,
-Tim

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Took a look at a 20 Army Green TRD Pro 4 Runner, to each his/her own I guess, but I wouldn't let that thing in my garage. Not half the character of a Rubicon. And I only have a Sport S, but I've road tripped all over the midwest with no issues, and I'm 63. You young pups should have no problem out on the highways.

My Advice, Keep the Rubi

Best,
-Tim
Hahaha nice! Love the honest feedback. I think I need to take the top and doors off and go for a long trip and that’ll prove I’ve got the best option.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
The 4runners are great but until they update them which should be any time now I think they are dated a bit and would be terrible to miss a radesign by a year. Why not sell your wrangler and stash the cash until you find something you really want. If your wife already had a 4runner, why get another one?

brett

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Prob better idea but no fun in that I suppose.

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
The 4runners are great but until they update them which should be any time now I think they are dated a bit and would be terrible to miss a radesign by a year. Why not sell your wrangler and stash the cash until you find something you really want. If your wife already had a 4runner, why get another one?

brett
That’s good point. I’ve considered that. Honestly most everyone is making good points and I think this biggest one is I’d miss my Jeep and the Jeep is far more capable hands down and I just need to drive it more to feel like it’s needed. I sometimes forget how great these are on and off road.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
@RubenZ - still around now and then - sold his JLU for such a TRD if I'm correct.
He might jump in to share his experiences.

Sponsored

Reefed

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Sarge Green/Tan, '16 Mazda Miata BBS
Occupation
E-Commerce
That’s good point. I’ve considered that. Honestly most everyone is making good points and I think this biggest one is I’d miss my Jeep and the Jeep is far more capable hands down and I just need to drive it more to feel like it’s needed. I sometimes forget how great these are on and off road.
Just took delivery of my JLUR and had a new 4Runner TRD Off Road for a week trip to Tahoe the week before.

Love the look of the TRD pro, especially in that Army Green. It is admittedly less noisy than the Jeep and steering requires fewer corrections. Interior is more spacious, and nice to have power seats. May ride a little smoother on the highway and objectively be a better daily if you are a slow driver. And Toyotas are bulletproof and you can tell the car is built well. But that’s where the upsides to the 4Runner end in my opinion.

After owning mine for a week, I think the Jeep is a different caliber of vehicle altogether. The engine/transmission on the 4Runner are pretty much 15-20 years old technology. Very slow to respond to any inputs. Painfully slow in general. The 8 speed in the Jeep really makes the most out of whatever engine you have, and offers a smoother and more responsive driving experience.

I would say the same of the interior of the 4Runner, which you wouldn’t find out of place in a 10 year old car, but definitely not acceptable in 2020 and for what you’re paying. Screen is abysmally slow to respond to inputs, backup camera is horrible. Jeep interior design is on a different level. Granted mine is loaded to the gills, but I definitely feel like I am in a more special, more expensive, and newer car in the Jeep than 4Runner.

In terms of looks, I definitely think the Rubicon is one of the best looking cars on the road, period. And I love cars. The design is timeless and can be elegant/classy or aggressive/mean or all of the above. I don’t think the 4Runner comes even close in terms of design; other than the color (which admittedly makes a big difference) it doesn’t look special the way the Jeep does from every angle.

Finally, as others have mentioned, there’s the element of taking the top off. The airflow in the 4Runner with the power rear glass is pretty great, but doesn’t compare to the Jeep’s with the top or even freedom panel’s removed. Doors off must be even better but haven’t tried yet. Let alone the view you get with the huge opening over your head versus the little sunroof (if equipped) on the 4Runner.

Take my advice with a grain of salt because I’m in the honeymoon phase of my JLUR but after a week with both these are all very apparent to me! I advise you to KEEP YOUR JEEP!

PS...Army Green not available for 2021, replaced with a new sea foam green type of color. I like it, but on the 4Runner, liked the army green more.

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Just took delivery of my JLUR and had a new 4Runner TRD Off Road for a week trip to Tahoe the week before.

Love the look of the TRD pro, especially in that Army Green. It is admittedly less noisy than the Jeep and steering requires fewer corrections. Interior is more spacious, and nice to have power seats. May ride a little smoother on the highway and objectively be a better daily if you are a slow driver. And Toyotas are bulletproof and you can tell the car is built well. But that’s where the upsides to the 4Runner end in my opinion.

After owning mine for a week, I think the Jeep is a different caliber of vehicle altogether. The engine/transmission on the 4Runner are pretty much 15-20 years old technology. Very slow to respond to any inputs. Painfully slow in general. The 8 speed in the Jeep really makes the most out of whatever engine you have, and offers a smoother and more responsive driving experience.

I would say the same of the interior of the 4Runner, which you wouldn’t find out of place in a 10 year old car, but definitely not acceptable in 2020 and for what you’re paying. Screen is abysmally slow to respond to inputs, backup camera is horrible. Jeep interior design is on a different level. Granted mine is loaded to the gills, but I definitely feel like I am in a more special, more expensive, and newer car in the Jeep than 4Runner.

In terms of looks, I definitely think the Rubicon is one of the best looking cars on the road, period. And I love cars. The design is timeless and can be elegant/classy or aggressive/mean or all of the above. I don’t think the 4Runner comes even close in terms of design; other than the color (which admittedly makes a big difference) it doesn’t look special the way the Jeep does from every angle.

Finally, as others have mentioned, there’s the element of taking the top off. The airflow in the 4Runner with the power rear glass is pretty great, but doesn’t compare to the Jeep’s with the top or even freedom panel’s removed. Doors off must be even better but haven’t tried yet. Let alone the view you get with the huge opening over your head versus the little sunroof (if equipped) on the 4Runner.

Take my advice with a grain of salt because I’m in the honeymoon phase of my JLUR but after a week with both these are all very apparent to me! I advise you to KEEP YOUR JEEP!

PS...Army Green not available for 2021, replaced with a new sea foam green type of color. I like it, but on the 4Runner, liked the army green more.
I think you hit it exactly right. If any other color I wouldn’t even want the TRD. I think that color makes us look better but aside from that not even close really. I wouldn’t even consider any other color. And aside from on road driving, the TRD really has no advantage. As much as I love the TRD in that green I think you and everyone else is spot on.

Reefed

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Sarge Green/Tan, '16 Mazda Miata BBS
Occupation
E-Commerce
I think you hit it exactly right. If any other color I wouldn’t even want the TRD. I think that color makes us look better but aside from that not even close really. I wouldn’t even consider any other color. And aside from on road driving, the TRD really has no advantage. As much as I love the TRD in that green I think you and everyone else is spot on.
To people like us the color makes ALL the difference! That said, consider vinyl wrapping your Jeep to a color you love. Will probably cost you around $3-4K to have someone do it. Or consider some nice accents or stripes on your white one. Before I went with Sarge Green I was set on a white one and getting the retro orange stripes from the JT gladiator concept. Would still look amazing on a JLUR...

617B6D95-B56C-4BDF-BD04-4B50991DDBA4.png
Sponsored