Sponsored

Should I Sell My Jeep?

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
As the title says, I’m debating selling my 2020 Jeep JL Sport S 2 Door. I’ve had a lot of good fun with it and absolutely love driving it. But the fuel economy is killing me and not having a back row of seats, or when I do have the back seats I have no storage, kills me as well. And I just don’t go off-roading anymore like I used to. I know fuel economy was never going to be good. But now with gas being $6/gal I’m really hurting. And I don’t find it as enjoyable anymore, even though I’ve done a lot of great mods to make it a trail capable daily driver. When I got my Jeep I was single and had extra money in my pocket. Now I’m married and have kids planned about 5 years from now. I figure all those things added together make me want to find a reliable 4 door SUV that will last me the next 10 years.

I’m considering getting a used 2020 SUV such as a Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, or Subaru Outback (I know not an SUV). Something that can still take me through a Forrest road, but won’t be able to go off roading like my Jeep. Currently I’m estimating I can get ~$30k for my Jeep. One of those used vehicles is about $30k. I dont enjoy buying used but I honestly don’t have the money for a brand new car right now. Does anyone have thoughts or opinions on this? Should I pull the gun now or wait a few years?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Gas prices are starting to come down, and kids in 5 years is a long ways away.

I wouldn’t sell it. You will regret getting rid of your Jeep. Especially for any of those vehicles you listed.

Good luck.

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara, 2005 Land Cruiser, 2008 4Runner Limited V6
You’ll regret it
I traded in my 2015 jku for a gladiator. After that, I took a promotion for work which came with a territory reassignment (from Long Island to queens/Brooklyn), but couldn’t find parking anywhere so I sold it for a Mazda cx30 for me and cx50 for the wife. I dreaded the cx30. So small and boring. No personality, just traded that in for a 22 jlu and will never go back.

If my territory gets reassigned again in the future I’ll go back to the gladiator.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Once the kiddos arrive, you may have to go to have to go into "practical" mode for a long time...unless it is putting you in a financial bind right now, why not enjoy the Jeep for a few more years. Seems like a lot to give up now for what might be the situation in five years time...a lot of "plans" can change in five years time.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Keep the Jeep. It'll be paid for by then. When kiddos come along, let your wife pick what she wants to drive. A whole lot will change between now and then.

You aren't going to save much by trading, letting the mods go (you don't get anything extra for them), then buying another high demand vehicle at an adjusted market price, The difference between the (likely higher)payments will pay for the gas you Jeep uses. My 3.6 2 door Willys averages 20 MPG. Look up what those Subarus are averaging, the savings in fuel costs won't add up.

Now, if you just don't like it, or the idea of it was better then the reality of it, get something else. But make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. This is not a good time to buy a new car. But at least you're trading one that has exceptional resale.

Maybe your fiance should buy the Subaru in prapration for the family that's coming HALF A DECADE from now. :LOL:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
$6 gas in a Jeep sucks. But how many miles would you have to drive to make a difference in your monthly gas budget? Calculate the $/mile for one of those you are shopping for, and $/mile for the Jeep. It may be closer than you think. And then consider taxes you may have to pay (if it's a straight swap there may be none). You also know the history of your Jeep, and are hoping the same (and they are probably fine) for the histories of whatever used car you buy. The decision is yours (and your spouse - don't let internet strangers make a decision for you and your spouse).

One thing that I realized when I bought my 2019 JLR is how much my 2016 Acura RDX (smaller SUV) is a plain SUV. Don't get me wrong, I have 122k miles on it, no issues, only basic maintenance, but I don't really enjoy driving it, it seems like an appliance to get me from point A to point B, which is fine, someone just needs to realize that (I traded a maintenance hungry Audi A6 for the Acura). I think the Acura is better for road trips than a 2 door soft top, and it is more quiet/relaxed after work which I do like after a 12 hour shift, but it is uninspiring. My stock 2019 JLR gets around 17-19mpg on regular. My 2016 Acura RDX gets around 24 mpg on premium doing the same roads, day to day, but my foot can be heavy in a hilly area.

All that being said, I would not recommend a 2 door Jeep to anyone with kids, but it sounds like that may still be a few years away for you. In a few years, there will be other options out there, and your financial situation may change.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
My wife and I traded her 2008 JKU Sahara to get a minivan which, to be honest, has been an amazing vehicle with two kids. But you better believe we missed that Jeep the second we left the lot and when the kids got old enough to not have gigantic car seats, we were on the phone ordering our new Jeep.

Other vehicles certainly have their place but I can’t imagine driving anything other than a Jeep again.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Jeeps are not for everyone. Some love ‘em, some hate ‘em. If you’re just running mild trails a Forester will go there and will give you a better highway ride, more room, and a bit better fuel economy. With that said, a stock 2dr JL with the 2.0 is darn near an economy car compared to earlier models. Modded models will not get the fuel economy of a stocker😏. If you genuinely don’t enjoy the Jeep, it’s time to move on. Life’s too short to drive a vehicle that You don’t enjoy.. Good luck whatever decision you make..

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Times are tough right now, and we all have to do what is needed, to survive. Family comes first. Good luck to you….

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I had a Wrangler YJ when my daughter was in a car seat. When she was 4, I had a Scout II and she would sit up front and look up at the sky everyday when I would pick her up from daycare and drive her home, or she would ask to go for a ride in the Scout. The day I sold that Scout she stood at the curb crying as the new owner drove away.

When she graduated college, got a good job, and bought her first brand new vehicle, it was a JK Sport. She said it was based on the memories of the Scout. (She barely remembered the YJ) She traded in her JK on a Grand Cherokee when she had her son, and she doesn't like to be reminded of her old Jeep that she had for 8 years, as she misses it. I'm sure she and her husband will get another 2 door (a thing she is passionate about, wouldn't consider a 4 door when the kid came along ) one day.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Kids are 5 years away. They can sit in the baby car seats until 2. That puts you seven years away and by that time your JL will be long past paid off. Start saving up for the next vehicle before you have to buy the next vehicle. Put yourself in a financial position where you can afford the next vehicle on a timeline of your own choosing before you are forced into buying the next vehicle on a timeline dictated by circumstances outside your control.

Hopefully by then you and the spouse will have come up a little bit in annual income and can qualify for a reasonable payment on a slightly used but more practical vehicle. I eventually sold my very non-family friendly compact pickup truck when my kids were 8 and 6 and bought an all-wheel drive CUV (aka a minivan with doors that open like a car instead of sliding like a van) partially funded via the sale of the truck. Later the CUV was paid off and I bought a JL as my fun vehicle and daily driver. Large shopping runs, long distance road trips, shuttling kids & friends, the CUV remains handy.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I challenge you to build out a “cost of ownership” spreadsheet. Include insurance, the payment expected in 2027, maintenance expectations in 2027, and fuel economy based on your useage (or by 1,250 mi/month if you’re not sure). Miles/MPG*price per gallon. This will help calibrate your expectations. Fueling up hurts (I drive a thirsty Mustang that drinks premium, I get it), but if you focus on that and not the full picture you might end up bleeding more/month, especially with currently inflated vehicle costs new or used.
Now, if you can’t get over the gas pain or you fell out of love, nothing will help. But if after a fair comparison you find the Jeep is the smart choice, consider filling up more often so you don’t see such a big ding. I only recommend this because the Jeep may be the smart choice and we’re just trying to manage emotions to stick to a smart choice. We’re not lying to ourselves.
Sponsored