Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
remove the tire
roadside
and when going to the trails - throw it in the rear
im waiting for a nice day when im not busy to rip mine off - went with the cavfab version , the rest dont look as pretty lolol

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Anyone who drove for a living will tell you your rear view mirror is mostly just for comfort.
It's your two sides that count.
And if your worried about tailgates so much your not focusing on what's ahead ......

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
I've only had an issue once in the last 10 years. That was on my Jeep Liberty when I decided to do a little off roading while vacationing.

Heard a strange flapping sound and my wife asks "do we have a flat tire?" "NO!" was my reply.

I figured something got stuck in a wheel, kind of like baseball cards against the spokes of a bike.

Got out to inspect and noticed the passenger rear tire was FLAT. Also hard to not see was the 3 inch tear in that tires sidewall.

Oh great! Do I have a spare? Where is the spare? How do I get the spare out? Is there air in that spare?

Where's the jack? Is there a jack? Will the jack work? Will the sandy road I'm stranded on support my Jeep on the jack?

Will I be able to get the flat tire replaced with the spare and still have time to make our boat cruise reservations on Lake Superior? Our reservation was in 2 hours and we were at least a half hour away from the dock.

Thankfully it was a beautiful, sunny afternoon and the tire changing went better than expected. The ground was firm enough for the jack and the space-saving spare had air. Didn't even need the help of the ATV rider who stopped by for assistance.

Made the cruise with time to spare. Even had time to stop at a service station to ensure the spare had enough air. It was a few psi short but not bad.

The only flat besides that in the last 20 years was on my wife's car. Just a nail. IN THE SIDWALL! No patch for that or my jeeps tire.

I wouldn't travel on a trip to the middle of no where without a spare. In town? If I had to for some reason I can't think of right now.

If I need gas cans because there isn't a gas station close by, there also isn't a tire repair shop nearby either. I'd find a way to have both a tire spare and spare fuel along.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
I would never drive anywhere in the Tri-State area without a spare.
Agreed. You're essentially signing up for a flatbed if you get a flat because tire kits and fix-a-flats probably won't work on a large tire.

Sponsored

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Do you have the 8.4 uconnect? If so, just hit the camera button for a rearward glance. But it's NY, so you're always getting tailgated. That's one of my favorite reasons for not wanting mudflaps.

20210211_132351_resized.jpg
No offense, but if I went around throwing rocks at your windows and paint, you'd probably be pissed. When you're running tires that stick outside of the flares, that is exactly what you're doing.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
No offense, but if I went around throwing rocks at your windows and paint, you'd probably be pissed. When you're running tires that stick outside of the flares, that is exactly what you're doing.
No offense taken. I fully agree with your sentiment. I should've specified that the rooster tails thrown up during rain storms is what tends to get tailgaters to rethink their following distance. The factory bfgoodrich ko2's were magnets for rocks and mud, being all terrains, that wouldn't release until highway speed. These mud terrain Pat's self clean themselves before I reach 10mph, so I'm not that guy.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
Maybe I dip my tires just a smidge into the shoulder….by accident, of course, and certainly not to kick up any rocks. ;)
A number of years ago I traveled to Texas for a work conference with another guy. The rental car was a Camaro.

My buddy, who was driving, decided to draft the semi in front of us. The semi driver was pissed and kept driving on the shoulder to pelt us with rocks. Lots of rocks!

"It's a rental" was all my coworker said. Think he thought he was really at Talladega instead of a Texas highway.

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
Thanks for all the great response!

Sponsored

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
I'm still looking for an inside JLUR tire carrier (35's) cause I like the look and weight reduction.

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Spare tire is alot like my EDC. I'd much rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Same goes for spare fuel, of which there are plenty options for mounting without removing the spare.

Whenever I see a jeep without a spare I laugh, but maybe thats just me.
Sponsored