OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
I see what you're saying. One solution may be to get a Tazer and reprogram the backup camera to stay on the whole time while driving. I've never done this, so maybe others can attest if it's a valid suggestion.

In my case, I've come to find the limited rearview visibility of a wrangler as one of its selling points. Especially when I have the soft top back, I can't see any tailgaters behind me. Out of sight, out of mind. Life is good.
I think I have the options to have it on all the time under apps.
Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
The last three flats I've gotten (on two different daily driver vehicles), I've plugged up the hole in situ (didn't even take off the wheel) with rope plugs and re-inflated. I know it's not recommended, but I drove the tires to replacement with those rope plugs, and didn't bother patching them up on the inside.

I'd advise to just be prepared for a flat - carry a fix-it kit and/or a phone to call for AAA or a tow.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i never drive anything or anywhere without a spare.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I wouldn't go without a spare, especially in a city. Almost all the flats I've had were in town.

And even with my rather sturdy KO2 tires, I had two flats on my JK. One was a razorblade that I picked up somewhere in the city, didn't realize it until I went to go to work in the morning and the tire was dead flat. The only other time was on a particularly sharp, triangular-shaped rock on the asphalt in Death Valley. No patching in the world would have fixed that, the hole was about the size of a quarter. I could hear the air hissing even inside the Jeep with the radio on.

Bonus: Keeping your spare gives the tailgaters something to bounce off of. Got rear-ended twice in LA and both times they bounced harmlessly (for me, not them) off my spare.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
I wouldn't go without a spare, especially in a city. Almost all the flats I've had were in town.

And even with my rather sturdy KO2 tires, I had two flats on my JK. One was a razorblade that I picked up somewhere in the city, didn't realize it until I went to go to work in the morning and the tire was dead flat. The only other time was on a particularly sharp, triangular-shaped rock on the asphalt in Death Valley. No patching in the world would have fixed that, the hole was about the size of a quarter. I could hear the air hissing even inside the Jeep with the radio on.

Bonus: Keeping your spare gives the tailgaters something to bounce off of. Got rear-ended twice in LA and both times they bounced harmlessly (for me, not them) off my spare.
😂😂😂

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
If you replace the spare tire with canisters full of gas you'll have a vehicle just like the Ford Pintos that exploded into flames when they were rear-ended due to the vulnerable fuel tank.

Should I remove my rear tire?

Wait...you said REAR tire, not spare. I don't think it will go very far without the rear tires. ;)

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
The main reason I want to delete it is because most of my rear window is blocked by it I can’t see if a car is tailgating me. I used my spare tire once on my sedan.

It’s not because I’m having trouble refueling. I’m replacing it with the canisters to cover up the big odd looking spot. It’s more for the looks I guess.
I'll preference by saying I think Jeeps don't look right without the spare on the back. But why remove the rear spare and put gas cans that you don't need because you can't see tailgaters? What does seeing tailgaters better do for you?

Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
Get the Rebel Offroad Gas Carrier / Tire Delete.

Has the best vision and has a better camera mount than others Ive seen.

I had massive 35/12s and they felt like 100lbs+ each. With -44 offset. I was not going to be able to make a tire swap anyway on or offroad. Way too heavy and cumbersome.

Just carry a tire repair kit / compressor.

Screenshot_20210514-203326.jpg

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Keep the spare. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Quick check of your blind spot? Uconnect > Apps > Backup Camera.... even has the green, yellow, red to gauge how close someone could be.

Someone tailgates and hits you then their insurance pays. Focusing on what the impatient person behind you is doing distracts from what is in front of you where your insurance pays if you hit something. Just stay your pace (assuming you're not camping in the passing lane). And if it is emergency vehicles you'll see and hear those lights and sirens well before they're bumper to bumper to you.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Don't mess with Murphy's Law.
The reason why you carry a spare is so you don't get a flat in the first place and have to lug an extra tire everywhere. Leave that tire at home and Murphy will bite ya. Mark my words.

RIVICON

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2006 Tacoma, 1991 Z28 406ci Turbski
If you do remove the spare make sure you have a means of not being stranded. I carry this tire plugger everywhere I go. Of course if you get a side puncture then this is useless but it definitely makes plugging a tire way easier than a regular kit. You'll be in and out in a few minutes (that's what she said)Onboard air is also a must.

Jeep Wrangler JL Should I remove my rear tire? 1621074476832

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
A Jeep does not look like a Jeep without the spare. Plus, what will you do when you get a flat?

Who cares if there’s a tailgater? What will you do differently if you see one?

You could always get a Tazer, which lets you keep the backup camera on at all times.
Sponsored