Should I remove my rear tire?

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
What’s up guys, I’ve been debating if I should delete my rear tire and replace it with the gas canisters. Do you guys think it’s wise to delete it? I don’t do a lot of off-roading since I live in nyc. I’m running 35 ko2. Any good experience and bad experiences? Other then a flat tire experience.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
This got me thinking, been driving for the last 38 years with a spare, not always on a Jeep, plenty of trucks in those years, never used it, I do not like the look of a Jeep without a spare on the back, IMO doesn't look right without it.

Sponsored

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
What’s up guys, I’ve been debating if I should delete my rear tire and replace it with the gas canisters. Do you guys think it’s wise to delete it? I don’t do a lot of off-roading since I live in nyc. I’m running 35 ko2. Any good experience and bad experiences? Other then a flat tire experience.
"Wise" wouldn't be my first word choice to describe driving NYC without a spare. But if you are having greater difficulty refueling than maybe so. Why is it so difficult for you to refuel? It always seems there is a gas station every ten blocks whenever I travel through one of the boroughs.

OP
OP

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
"Wise" wouldn't be my first word choice to describe driving NYC without a spare. But if you are having greater difficulty refueling than maybe so. Why is it so difficult for you to refuel? It always seems there is a gas station every ten blocks whenever I travel through one of the boroughs.
This got me thinking, been driving for the last 38 years with a spare, not always on a Jeep, plenty of trucks in those years, never used it, I do not like the look of a Jeep without a spare on the back, IMO doesn't look right without it.
The main reason I want to delete it is because most of my rear window is blocked by it I can’t see if a car is tailgating me. I used my spare tire once on my sedan.

It’s not because I’m having trouble refueling. I’m replacing it with the canisters to cover up the big odd looking spot. It’s more for the looks I guess.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The main reason I want to delete it is because most of my rear window is blocked by it I can’t see if a car is tailgating me.
Most of us go with larger tires and still run a spare. Yes, visibility is a bit hindered but you have 2 side view mirrors to help with that.

I've been driving in the NY/NJ/CT Tri-State area since I was 16. I'll never drive a vehicle without a spare tire here.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
The main reason I want to delete it is because most of my rear window is blocked by it I can’t see if a car is tailgating me. I used my spare tire once on my sedan.

It’s not because I’m having trouble refueling. I’m replacing it with the canisters to cover up the big odd looking spot. It’s more for the looks I guess.
I see what you're saying. One solution may be to get a Tazer and reprogram the backup camera to stay on the whole time while driving. I've never done this, so maybe others can attest if it's a valid suggestion.

In my case, I've come to find the limited rearview visibility of a wrangler as one of its selling points. Especially when I have the soft top back, I can't see any tailgaters behind me. Out of sight, out of mind. Life is good.

Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Been at least 20-30 years without a flat. 7 months ago in my Tacoma, I came out from the grocery store and left rear was on the pavement. Fairly new set of Bridgestone Revo 3's. You just never know, and I would never be without the spare and the proper tools.

G.