Sponsored

Should I remove my engine cover and hood liner

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I might still have my JKUR if I was smart enough to do what @sourdough did. No cover or liner under my aev hood for 7 years. No impact to paint or washer nozzles. I think it looks better than a snorkel. Lol!
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

OP, raise the hood hinges for a radiant heat pathway. The hood gap lets a lot of heat escape and works well.

JL underhood.jpeg
JL real hood intake vent.jpeg
hood hinge extension b.jpeg
hood hinge extension a.jpeg

Isn't that a 3.6?

Is your hood always jacked up like that? I never had a heat issue with 3.6 ever. Not really all that hot. Diesel runs pretty warm.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
until it was figured out that it was the short radiator that sucked on the XJs.

put a good all-aluminum radiator in a 4.0 XJ and the problems are gone. (i recommend a Mishimoto; the Griffin i had cracked.)

Shoot, us poor XJ owners have been doing that for heat mitigation a long time now šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

until it was figured out that it was the short radiator that sucked on the XJs.

put a good all-aluminum radiator in a 4.0 XJ and the problems are gone. (i recommend a Mishimoto; the Griffin i had cracked.)
Eh. The problem is 20+ year old cooling systems not being maintained properly. Thatā€™s the biggest part of the issue. I have hood vents and an e-fan override for low speed climbing in warm temps, thatā€™s where the cooling system can struggle even if well maintained.

XJā€™s are well known to crack radiator reservoirs because of the unibody flexing too much.

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 JL Diesel Sport S
Eh. The problem is 20+ year old cooling systems not being maintained properly. Thatā€™s the biggest part of the issue. I have hood vents and an e-fan override for low speed climbing in warm temps, thatā€™s where the cooling system can struggle even if well maintained.

XJā€™s are well known to crack radiator reservoirs because of the unibody flexing too much.
My XJ would definitely try to overheat often. I paid more attention to the temp then my speed most days. Especially as it got older. When it would start to overheat I would blast the defrost on hot and open the windows. Worked a lot of the time.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Weight savings, better mpg, better power-to-weight ratio....
You'll look better, your investments will grow, beautiful women will flock to you and you'll live longer.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD

sounds like perhaps you had the earlier closed cooling system?

i'm the original owner of my '94. did the Mopar Performance liquid-to-liquid oil cooler, different water pumps (FlowKooler, Hesco, etc), and while all of those helped, nothing made the problem go away until i tried an aluminum radiator.
now, it almost runs too cool; thermostat stays closed most of the time, and closes again almost immediately when it does open.

My XJ would definitely try to overheat often. I paid more attention to the temp then my speed most days. Especially as it got older. When it would start to overheat I would blast the defrost on hot and open the windows. Worked a lot of the time.
i was able to kick the AC on to get the Aux Fan to run, and that took care of it for me in almost all cases before i get a good aluminum radiator.
i think the radiator for those things was just too small because of the short grille, and adding the internal trans cooler to the radiator just overloaded the little things unless you had a really good radiator.

Sponsored

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

sounds like perhaps you had the earlier closed cooling system?

i'm the original owner of my '94. did the Mopar Performance liquid-to-liquid oil cooler, different water pumps (FlowKooler, Hesco, etc), and while all of those helped, nothing made the problem go away until i tried an aluminum radiator.
now, it almost runs too cool; thermostat stays closed most of the time, and closes again almost immediately when it does open.

i was able to kick the AC on to get the Aux Fan to run, and that took care of it for me in almost all cases before i get a good aluminum radiator.
i think the radiator for those things was just too small because of the short grille, and adding the internal trans cooler to the radiator just overloaded the little things unless you had a really good radiator.
Nope, I have an ā€˜01 but I was also who knows which number owner. Had to really flush the shit out of the cooling system and basically redid the whole thing except the heater core, which I bypassed in the meantime. The stock cooling system works well enough but it sure is nice having those hood vents and control over the e-fan when out in the California desert. Iā€™m selling the XJ now since I have the JLURD on order, otherwise my next project was going to be testing out Champion Radiatorsā€™ HD single core they have. Supposedly it is much, much more resistant to the cracking caused by the flexing. Figured if I did a stroker it would be a good combo.

I should hit them up since they are local. I wonder if they could come up with a heavy duty radiator setup for the eco diesel.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
yeah, well if yours was abused/neglected, then i suppose all bets are off.
and for what it's worth, the body on your '01 was more resistant to torsional flex than the pre-'96s. (and they weren't Unibody- technically they were "unitized" construction.) if yours was seeing a lot of body twist, the suspension probably wasn't flexy enough; they'd flex very nicely with the anti-sway bars disconnected!

most people don't realize how hot those 4.0s were meant to run; the stock Aux Fan wasn't even supposed to come on until it was above 235-240Āŗ, IIRC, and anything below that was fine, but watching the gauge spooked some people. (probably why the gauges on more modern cars and even out JL/Us don't move as much, even across a wide temperature range.)

mine spent most of the best part of its life playing in the Dez, and the only time it was terminally getting hotter than it was cooling itself was when churning through deep loose sand in 100ĀŗF+ temps. again, i credit the internal trans cooler for a lot of that, and it was before i put an aluminum radiator in.

haven't seen any real problems with the cooling in the JLUWD (yet), but will still def keep an eye out for a good high-capacity radiator in the aftermarket.

good luck with your upcoming oil burner; they rock!

Nope, I have an ā€˜01 but I was also who knows which number owner. Had to really flush the shit out of the cooling system and basically redid the whole thing except the heater core, which I bypassed in the meantime. The stock cooling system works well enough but it sure is nice having those hood vents and control over the e-fan when out in the California desert. Iā€™m selling the XJ now since I have the JLURD on order, otherwise my next project was going to be testing out Champion Radiatorsā€™ HD single core they have. Supposedly it is much, much more resistant to the cracking caused by the flexing. Figured if I did a stroker it would be a good combo.

I should hit them up since they are local. I wonder if they could come up with a heavy duty radiator setup for the eco diesel.

Sevier01

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel JL
These are for sound proofing. Period
Slap a piece of dynamat umder the engine cover and between the hood and liner and folks think your diesel is a tesla because you cant hear any engine noise. On a diesel thatā€™s impressive!

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
This thread confirms to me why the US scores so pathetic in science, math and reading skills.

BB9792FE-85DF-406C-9226-155B247ABCE4.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: GtX

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
I concur, this thread confirms a lot. Most of which is best communicated with profanities and slanted eyebrows.

I am back to searching Angy grilles, RGB lighting, pink jeeps with PeanutButter tops, and "ducking" in attempt to find something less entertaining.
Sponsored