Should I re-gear my Sahara?

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
Ok, my Sahara seems to find it impossible to hit 8th gear (sometimes not even 7th) at 75MPH, and I'm starting to wonder if it's gearing or just the whole "what do you expect when you try to push a brick wall through the air at 75MPH?"

Setup:
  • Sahara w/LSD option ("Rubicon Rear End" ;) )
  • Falken Wildpeak AT 35s
  • RC 2.5" lift
  • 8 Spd Auto
  • Tazer JL, w/ tire size set to 34.6" (Wildpeak spec)
  • Getting about 15MPG on highway at 70-75MPH speeds (75 is speed limit). If I stay below 70, she will behave better, and will usually get to 8th, then MPG jumps more to 18MPG.
So, I'm just curious if there's something I can do to help it behave better at 75MPG (and "Go buy a Corvette" isn't a valid answer -- my Jeep took all my money :cwl: )
Sponsored

OP
OP
kogar

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
(Thank you to the mods that moved my post to the proper place :) )

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
re-gear to what? 4.56? 4.88? it would be stupid to go from 3.21? to 4.10. Thats going to cost like 1800 to get done, and then while yr in there mind as well put lockers... it'll be cheaper thats another 2k, then you'll realize you shoulda just got a rubicon, its cheaper in the long run. 4.10's run 35's reasonably well., and without a lift!

OP
OP
kogar

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
3.21? JL default gearing is 3.45. And I bought a Sahara for a reason -- it's my wife's Jeep, and she wanted a Sahara, not a Rubi. I'm getting a Rubi next year when the diesels are available.

I'm well aware what re-gearing _costs_. I'm trying to understand if such an investment would pay off.

I consider my question still unanswered.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
How did she ride prior to the bigger shoes at 75 as far as gear and mpg? If that was as expected than regear makes more sense than being box shaped.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
People’s feelings towards re gearing will always be all over the place.

It’ll really be how your wife feels about it. How far is the drive to work? Are there big hills?

It’ll for sure drive better after a re gear. Especially if those wildpeaks actually measure 34.6

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
re-gear to what? 4.56? 4.88? it would be stupid to go from 3.21? to 4.10. Thats going to cost like 1800 to get done, and then while yr in there mind as well put lockers... it'll be cheaper thats another 2k, then you'll realize you shoulda just got a rubicon, its cheaper in the long run. 4.10's run 35's reasonably well., and without a lift!
Theres more to the Rubicon than just gears. Some people don't get the Rubi because they don't like the Transfer Case Ratio especially if you don't CRAWL. I thought about getting a Rubi but at the end of the day I just don't crawl as much and mainly use it for overlanding and going to the beach or hunting.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Theres more to the Rubicon than just gears. Some people don't get the Rubi because they don't like the Transfer Case Ratio especially if you don't CRAWL. I thought about getting a Rubi but at the end of the day I just don't crawl as much and mainly use it for overlanding and going to the beach or hunting.
I never got why the Rubi transfer case doesn’t work for trails. Can’t you just drive in a higher gear? I’m coming from a YJ so excuse my ignorance.

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah some people have a hard time understanding the Rubicon is not some godly solution to everything.. I consider some of it to be RubiSnob Syndrome.. :p

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
Ok, my Sahara seems to find it impossible to hit 8th gear (sometimes not even 7th) at 75MPH, and I'm starting to wonder if it's gearing or just the whole "what do you expect when you try to push a brick wall through the air at 75MPH?"

Setup:
  • Sahara w/LSD option ("Rubicon Rear End" ;) )
  • Falken Wildpeak AT 35s
  • RC 2.5" lift
  • 8 Spd Auto
  • Tazer JL, w/ tire size set to 34.6" (Wildpeak spec)
  • Getting about 15MPG on highway at 70-75MPH speeds (75 is speed limit). If I stay below 70, she will behave better, and will usually get to 8th, then MPG jumps more to 18MPG.
So, I'm just curious if there's something I can do to help it behave better at 75MPG (and "Go buy a Corvette" isn't a valid answer -- my Jeep took all my money :cwl: )
You are going to hit 8th with a regear yes and have what feels like stock ratios as it will more similarly match final drive in stock form. This answer has been answered thousands of times.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Don't forget--the RUBY xfer case 4/1--only goes in that condition when in 4wd/4lo--

When in 2wd--it's the same xfer case as the Sports/Sahara--

W.E.

JIMBO

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The Falken Wildpeak A/T3W is definitely one of the top 3 all-terrain tires on the market. Just an excellent tire all around and priced GREAT. However.... it's also one of the heaviest tires on the market. They must use lead and iron in the sidewalls because those puppies are heavy and hard to spin down the road. If you go with a much lighter tire, you'll get 8th gear back and save a ton of cash.
Sponsored