Sponsored

Should I order the Tow Package?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The factory trailer package has both 4 pin and 7 pin trailer plug ins. That gives you the option of trailer brakes, a legal requirement in some states..
Sponsored

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
I was handcuffed by my budget and chose the cold weather package over the tow package. I installed a hitch and wiring myself afterwards - not that big of a pain. The heated seats and wheel are 100% must have as much as I've rolled around with doors off.

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
You also get the aux switches and the heavy duty alternator with the tow package, which I think is a great deal if you think you might ever need to hook up any accessories to the switches.
I have the Jeep now and did add the tow package. :)

gschones

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
I just bought my 2021 80th Anniversary. The dealers never seem to have jeeps with tow packages except for a Rubicon. The service manager told me no big deal that they install them all the time. When I bought my 2021 I went to the service department to get the trailer wiring installed. The service guys acted like they did not know what I was talking about. The could not even price it. I ended up taking it to u-haul.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought my 2021 80th Anniversary. The dealers never seem to have jeeps with tow packages except for a Rubicon. The service manager told me no big deal that they install them all the time. When I bought my 2021 I went to the service department to get the trailer wiring installed. The service guys acted like they did not know what I was talking about. The could not even price it. I ended up taking it to u-haul.
Installing the trailer and tow package after the fact is a very complicated process. You're going to be taking apart a lot of interior panels, the dash, etc., etc. After all is said and done, you then have to go to the dealer to get your computer flashed to recognize the Aux buttons. The whole thing is a real PITA.

ALWAYS get the trailer an tow package.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Installing the trailer and tow package after the fact is a very complicated process. You're going to be taking apart a lot of interior panels, the dash, etc., etc. After all is said and done, you then have to go to the dealer to get your computer flashed to recognize the Aux buttons. The whole thing is a real PITA.

ALWAYS get the trailer an tow package.
@Sgt Beavis

For sure, I too say get the tow package when you buy a JL..... The package is not that expensive, especially for all that comes with it. It also is a plus to have shown as an installed option when at resale time.

But .......IF all a guy/gal wants, is say a no frills, trailer hitch with a 4 pin connector, then buying and installing a hitch with 4 pin harness is very simple to do himself/herself or very simple for say UHaul to do and it is not very expensive for you to pay them to do it..

Now, If a guy wants ALL that goes along with the factory tow package..... 4 pin and 8 pin, upgraded this and that, the much desired, Aux buttons ... then YES, YES, do order the factory tow package.. It is way cheaper and no fuss ... probably the smart move, to buy the JL with the tow package installed.

Just for clarity...... regarding your the "real PITA", comment you made.. Owner's do this install all the time.... Owner's can activate the Aux and trailering with JSCAN for about $70....does not have to be the dealer that does it. Yes, it is an involved install, but guys/gals do it all the time.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
@Sgt Beavis

For sure, I too say get the tow package when you buy a JL..... The package is not that expensive, especially for all that comes with it. It also is a plus to have shown as an installed option when at resale time.

But .......IF all a guy/gal wants, is say a no frills, trailer hitch with a 4 pin connector, then buying and installing a hitch with 4 pin harness is very simple to do himself/herself or very simple for say UHaul to do and it is not very expensive for you to pay them to do it..

Now, If a guy wants ALL that goes along with the factory tow package..... 4 pin and 8 pin, upgraded this and that, the much desired, Aux buttons ... then YES, YES, do order the factory tow package.. It is way cheaper and no fuss ... probably the smart move, to buy the JL with the tow package installed.

Just for clarity...... regarding your the "real PITA", comment you made.. Owner's do this install all the time.... Owner's can activate the Aux and trailering with JSCAN for about $70....does not have to be the dealer that does it. Yes, it is an involved install, but guys/gals do it all the time.

Don’t forget, you also get the more powerful alternator.

Totally forgot about JSCAN. You’re spot on with that.

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subie outback toad, pusher motorhome
...and a petty detail, but also a 700 amp battery as opposed to the 650 amp that is standard equipment.

gschones

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
It depends on what you are towing. I just bought my 2021 off the lot. I couldn't find one with the tow package. I always get a much better deal buying off the lot than ordering. The sticker was 48000.00 and I paid 42500.00 plus 30k for my 2018 jlu. I installed the hitch myself cost was 35.00. Got the wiring harness installed for less than 100.00. I just tow q bass boat and utility trailer so a 4 pin connector was perfect for me.
Sponsored

Last edited: