Should I order the Tow Package?

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
I searched the forums but didn't see a detailed answer for this, so thought I'd start a thread.

I am about to order a 2021 JLU. I am considering the Sport S and the 80th Anniversary packages and am trying to decide if I should add the tow package ($995 MSRP).

I will be using the JLU on the road with occasional trailering of a motorcycle or two for a weekend trip or maybe a small utility trailer to haul stuff from Home Depot.

What (if any) are the advantages/disadvantages of going with the Tow Package?

I know I could just install a hitch receiver and wiring harness after I take delivery.

Would getting the full tow package improve the resale value?
Sponsored

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I searched the forums but didn't see a detailed answer for this, so thought I'd start a thread.

I am about to order a 2021 JLU. I am considering the Sport S and the 80th Anniversary packages and am trying to decide if I should add the tow package ($995 MSRP).

I will be using the JLU on the road with occasional trailering of a motorcycle or two for a weekend trip or maybe a small utility trailer to haul stuff from Home Depot.

What (if any) are the advantages/disadvantages of going with the Tow Package?

I know I could just install a hitch receiver and wiring harness after I take delivery.

Would getting the full tow package improve the resale value?
You also get the aux switches and the heavy duty alternator with the tow package, which I think is a great deal if you think you might ever need to hook up any accessories to the switches.

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Nothing to add that hasn't already been said - but I really wish I'd gotten the tow package.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the mopar tow package in a box in my garage, for over a year now, the install is a PITA and I'll never have all the functionality of the factory installed package without installing a bunch of other options myself. Order it.
Thank you for the advice! And sorry for the pain...but awesome you are helping save me the pain. :)

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
Yes

Sponsored

Narb16

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl 80 anniversary
I’m got the same car several weeks ago and I regret it! 1 I can’t tow anything unless I install the necessary parts, 2 the perk of having the aux switches would’ve been good if you’re going to be adding light bars! Good luck!

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I have the mopar tow package in a box in my garage, for over a year now, the install is a PITA and I'll never have all the functionality of the factory installed package without installing a bunch of other options myself. Order it.
I’m not sure which part you got, but the new version if the wiring harness for the tow package is pretty easy to install. It runs under the Jeep instead of through all the trim panels.

That is, unless you’re talking about installing the aux switches, too. That wiring is a pain.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I’m not sure which part you got, but the new version if the wiring harness for the tow package is pretty easy to install. It runs under the Jeep instead of through all the trim panels.

That is, unless you’re talking about installing the aux switches, too. That wiring is a pain.
I've got the one that is supposed to run behind all the interior trim up the passenger side.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
The only option I ordered on my base Sport was the limited slip. The only option I regret not getting was the tow package.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
You obviously plan to tow so that option makes sense. I personally had no use for it at all and knew I would never tow anything.
Sponsored

Last edited: