DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going to give you serious advise and you better listen. I did also have a 4Runner red pro.
As your first car daily driver, Tacoma hands down.
For weekend fun driver, wrangler hands down

The interior luxuries are much better in high trim rubicon’s and Sahara’s. But the sport and sport s just look crappy inside compared to taco ( I have sport btw)

If you drive more than 10 miles each direction on the freeway the wrangler will wear you down.

Taco and 4Runner trds are very boring as you can’t take the top , doors and windshield off.
Listen to my advise carefully, if you get a wrangler as your second car you are going to love it. Lift it, big tires, no worry about drivability or the gas mileage . If you get it as your first car you are going to regret it.
Listen to my advice, carefully.
I use my rubicon as a daily driver and don't get worn out at all. Make regular 400 mile trips for work and love it and don't get worn out. Sold my GMC Canyon to get the wrangler and no regrets - super happy.
Lol, yeah. Riding with the doors off and top down and listening to that badass Alpine sound system certainly makes the commutes in the JL just terrible. I'd stay far away from it. Buy a Camry. That won't wear you out. You'll arrive at work feeling refreshed, and clean, and ready for the challenges of the day!
Sponsored

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
That’s true. None of these cars are meant to be daily drivers. Buying a Camry, heck leasing a Camry will pay for itself in gas and you get to enjoy your Jeep every weekend plus couple of weekdays.
I also have a raptor, Jaguar f type r and z06 and id say the same about those cars as well. They are not mean to be driven daily. You will only understand that when you get into s nice comfortable sedan quiet, vibration free , great gas mileage , on Monday morning at 6 am when you want to go to work drama free. I have a fiat 500e electric for daily drive and I would sell every other car I own before even beginning to think of getting rid of it

Listen to my advice, carefully.

Lol, yeah. Riding with the doors off and top down and listening to that badass Alpine sound system certainly makes the commutes in the JL just terrible. I'd stay far away from it. Buy a Camry. That won't wear you out. You'll arrive at work feeling refreshed, and clean, and ready for the challenges of the day!

ToxicBanana

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Before I bought my JL, I really thought about a Taco (in fact, the exact model and configuration you have). It ended up coming down to a few things for me:
1) There is more cabin/seating room in the JL
2) I don't need a bed
3) I do intend to go offroading, and the shorter overhangs make for better approach and departure angles

Of course you've come to a Jeep forum asking if you should buy a Jeep, but I certainly have no regrets.

When we go offroading, whenever a Tacoma joins us, I always tell my wife "Oh look a Taco, nothing too crazy today" because they just cant keep up with the Wranglers in the places we go, we always have to winch them out or watch them touch something on a turn.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That’s true. None of these cars are meant to be daily drivers. Buying a Camry, heck leasing a Camry will pay for itself in gas and you get to enjoy your Jeep every weekend plus couple of weekdays.
I also have a raptor, Jaguar f type r and z06 and id say the same about those cars as well. They are not mean to be driven daily. You will only understand that when you get into s nice comfortable sedan quiet, vibration free , great gas mileage , on Monday morning at 6 am when you want to go to work drama free. I have a fiat 500e electric for daily drive and I would sell every other car I own before even beginning to think of getting rid of it
I see what you are saying, but those are all individual preferences. Mine is to drive a Jeep every day. I've got a Mercedes E430 Sport that I love, but it sits in the driveway, jealous of the attention the JL is getting. After a long, 12 hour day, which are common, there is no stress relief or decompression like riding in that Jeep withe the Alpine blasting. It doesn't matter if the doors are on or off. Noise doesn't matter with that Alpine. Love it! No disrespect intended toward the Camry. It does what it does, very well. Just like vanilla ice cream. I just like more vivid flavors.

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
You’re asking a bunch of Jeep people if you should switch :cwl:

Depends on your needs.

Do it

Sponsored

ILikeTacos

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
As a former Toyota nut who owned multiple Tacomas and 4Runners and an FJC, I was comparing the Taco and 4Runner TRD Pro to the JL Rubicon and the JL won for me. Electronics, comfort, engine power all were better on the JL, just what it was.

And for all the people not claiming the JL is a daily driver, puuuuhhhlease! It's great and fun as a DD and this is coming from a guy who is used to very nice driving vehicles, not some young punk with an iron butt who doesn't know any better. :)

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
I have both, I don't even want my taco anymore.

OP
OP

redrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Hey Red,

Same decision process (recently). I had a 17’ TRD Off-road that I leased as a bridge vehicle while waiting for the JL to hit the lots. I was pretty sure I wanted a Wrangler. Had test driven the JK multiple, multiple times and always walked away thinking, its ok. Then, test drove a white on white on white JL Rubi and was sold! Same day put $$$ down to hold in in-transit JLUR in Stingrey (had a Cement FJ love the grey). Took delivery about 2 months ago and all never looked back.
We lease and have leased for over 20 years now. If trade in values, reliability, etc. are important, (Ill prob get hate for this) but, Toyota generally wins that race. However, because my wife and I lease everything, the cars are usually gone before the factory warranty is gone = we do not really spend that a lot of time considering reliability. Short version, the JL is still very new, there is not a lot of significant data that supports long term reliability, resale, etc.
Anyway, to your question, go drive one! Sport, Sahara, Rubi whatever and you will notice all of the differences. The immediate improvements I found important:
Looks cooler, will do things the Taco will not, better in head unit, BS aside the JL is getting the same or better mpg (at Rubi with steel bumpers and hard top and ko2s) compared to TRD off-road with factory Wrangler Kevlar, better ride (the Rubi has a stiffer feeling suspension than the TRD off-road does), better seating position, the engine and transmission in the JL is leaps and bounds better feeling to drive than the Taco - I put in about 40 miles per day on the highway at 75+ the Rubi’s cruise control locks a gear and goes the Taco was up down up down up down to the point where I stopped using cruise on the Taco and and happy as hell that i could start using it again in the JL, Taco JBL < JL Alpine system, heads up display has better resolution, my taco felt like a dog on the highway and on the the streets (acceleration) the JL is almost too jumpy (torquey) on the low end - its jumpy with the gas in a good way, the taco was sluggish. Blah blah blah ,basically the JL is more fun to drive and we off-road every opportunity we get so that is better to drive on and off-road.
If you take nothing from this post and all of the others who have responded - go drive a JL (sport, Shara, etc - doesn’t matter) you will feel the difference in how it feels to drive. That will help you make a decision.

- great question, hopefully any/all of this helps.

- also! First Post! :)

25B33FCD-47AC-4890-BF85-33E554D01EB1.jpeg
I agree with everything you said about the Taco.
And I did test drive the JLU Sport S and it drives and feels much better than my current Taco.
My biggest hesitation right now is the fact that I’ll lose more money than I already have.
But I guess I should’ve explained how I ended in the Taco now.
So, originally I had a 18 Taco OR without all the bells and whistles. Drove it 800mi before trading it in for loaded 18 Taco sport. After 2k miles, I was still missing something...(nothing can replace the Jeep feel)
All in all, I lost $2k for the trade and put down $3k more for the Taco I have now.
Decision now is to trying to take the smallest hit. Maybe even come out on top.

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
I sold my 2016 Tacoma Off-road TRD Longbed to get into a simple JLU Sport. Solid front axle and 4-link f/r with coil springs all around beat the Taco. I had cut off the rear hangers and reversed them, swapped out for Fox coil overs and 2.5” shocks f/r, and couldn’t overcome the fact that it was still an IFS with nearly no articulation in the front. Turning radius was far different than my JLU. Only the my I’ll miss having a truckbed but if you consider how big the roof area is it will work.
My Taco could tow 6,000lbs+ but it didn’t do it well. It held its value and I got all of my money, including covering lift.
I’m glad I got out of it.

OP
OP

redrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Hey all,

Life got in the way but I have the opportunity today to possibly trade my taco for a new 18 jlu sport s. They’re asking 33.9k which according to the sticker price, is 20% of msrp. Does that sound right? I’m a little concerned on why they’ve held on to this wrangler for so long? Any comments? And solid deal or not??

Sponsored

Digger70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Hey all,

Life got in the way but I have the opportunity today to possibly trade my taco for a new 18 jlu sport s. They’re asking 33.9k which according to the sticker price, is 20% of msrp. Does that sound right? I’m a little concerned on why they’ve held on to this wrangler for so long? Any comments? And solid deal or not??
It's an 18. They want to sell it so they can get a 19 in its place. What all does it have? Soft top? Android Auto/Apple Carplay?

OP
OP

redrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
It's an 18. They want to sell it so they can get a 19 in its place. What all does it have? Soft top? Android Auto/Apple Carplay?
It has the soft top, which is what I’ve been looking for. It also has the tech, cold weather, and tow package.

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
That’s last years model. Some people are into that but before my JLU had a BMW 328d. I thought I was getting a good deal, especially since it was “last years model” back then. Not only do you drive off the lot with depreciation, now you’re already at least a year into your depreciation.

If you know you’ll keep it go for it. Just my 2 cents.

Also look for any changes in the 2019. There are some small issues that might have been fixed from the 2018 JLU. My only complaint is that it sounds like I’m standing next to an airplane that’s about to take off whenever my AC is on. Hopefully that gets resolved soon...

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
That’s last years model. Some people are into that but before my JLU had a BMW 328d. I thought I was getting a good deal, especially since it was “last years model” back then. Not only do you drive off the lot with depreciation, now you’re already at least a year into your depreciation.

If you know you’ll keep it go for it. Just my 2 cents.

Also look for any changes in the 2019. There are some small issues that might have been fixed from the 2018 JLU. My only complaint is that it sounds like I’m standing next to an airplane that’s about to take off whenever my AC is on. Hopefully that gets resolved soon...

Wise advice above, I reckon. I bought a new ‘18 3 months ago, and it’s going to be 2 model years old in a few months.

That’s kinda weird.

I’ll probably trade it at 36/36, in 2 or 3 years. If I do, I will likely have made a poor financial decision in buying the discounted ‘18 instead of a ‘19.

Otoh, it was/is exactly what I wanted, and I’ve been having the time of my driving life with it for those 3 months.

I tend to go with my heart, and my heart said:

“Joe, leave that boring old ‘12 Ram Dually here, and drive this smokin’ new Jeep home. Today!”
F8CC71E4-D45F-402B-A017-E522E8CD97BC.jpeg

So I did. Wrote them an $8k check for the difference, and drove ‘er home. No regrets.
Sponsored