Sponsored

Should I make the switch? Taco to JLU?

redrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Hi all,

I’ve got a 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport that’s a fully loaded. However, I use to own a JK 2 door and now, seeing all the JLs out and about, it has got me itching to get back into a Jeep.
And to be honest. Idk what all the hype is about for the Tacoma because it’s not very impressive.
My wife was super impressed with the new JL. It drives, feels, and looks light years better than the old jk and my Toyota.

So, would I be crazy to sell/trade the Tacoma for JLU? My taco is fully paid for and I’m trying to break even on the pricing for a JLU.
So end state would be a JLU Sport S vs my fully loaded taco.
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I did. Sold my blacked out Taco after one year for the JK (JK ended up a JL). Much happier. The seating is much more comfortable (I felt like I was driving with my feet out) and I never really used the truck to haul things. From there, you really won’t able to compare the fun you’ll have with the JL.

OP
OP

redrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I did. Sold my blacked out Taco after one year for the JK (JK ended up a JL). Much happier. The seating is much more comfortable (I felt like I was driving with my feet out) and I never really used the truck to haul things. From there, you really won’t able to compare the fun you’ll have with the JL.
Nice! Yes that’s how I feel like in my Tacoma now. Ergonomics are just off in it.
I haven’t towed nor do I plan to tow any time soon.
What kind of JL did you go with?

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Hi all,

I’ve got a 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport that’s a fully loaded. However, I use to own a JK 2 door and now, seeing all the JLs out and about, it has got me itching to get back into a Jeep.
And to be honest. Idk what all the hype is about for the Tacoma because it’s not very impressive.
My wife was super impressed with the new JL. It drives, feels, and looks light years better than the old jk and my Toyota.

So, would I be crazy to sell/trade the Tacoma for JLU? My taco is fully paid for and I’m trying to break even on the pricing for a JLU.
So end state would be a JLU Sport S vs my fully loaded taco.
Well, if it helps... I had a 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro, and decided to switch to a JL Unlimited Rubicon after only a few thousand miles of ownership. No regrets, as there’s a LOT of features missing from the Taco compared to the Rubicon (the way I built it at least). For example: Much better audio system, front locker, sway bar disconnects, removable roof, better acceleration, more comfortable seating, better rear seat legroom, better stock tires, steel bumpers, better approach and departure angles, LED lighting all around, far better infotainment system, 4:1 transfer case, rock rails.... just to name a few. That’s a lot of difference for the $1000 price difference I spent (42K vs 43K).

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
YES...YES...YES. I had 2 jk's and my dumbass saw a lifted taco and traded my 13 on it. It was a nice truck, don't get me wrong. I just know when I walked up to or away from the taco, i didn't smile like I did the wrangler. So i found me the JL i wanted and pulled the trigger last week. Oh how I missed it. Just do it. You will thank me later.

EDIT: I had a Offroad Crew cab with every option on it. The only thing I miss is the JBL ...but I can remedy that

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

you can probably sell your taco for what you paid for it.

or maybe hold out for the JT, if you need a bed

OP
OP

redrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Well, if it helps... I had a 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro, and decided to switch to a JL Unlimited Rubicon after only a few thousand miles of ownership. No regrets, as there’s a LOT of features missing from the Taco compared to the Rubicon (the way I built it at least). For example: Much better audio system, front locker, sway bar disconnects, removable roof, better acceleration, more comfortable seating, better rear seat legroom, better stock tires, steel bumpers, better approach and departure angles, LED lighting all around, far better infotainment system, 4:1 transfer case, rock rails.... just to name a few. That’s a lot of difference for the $1000 price difference I spent (42K vs 43K).
No way! I’ve only put a mere 3k miles on the taco and the JL looks to be much better in every way like you said!
At this point, I’m just trying to sell/trade the Taco at a reasonable price to recoup the loss.

OP
OP

redrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
you can probably sell your taco for what you paid for it.

or maybe hold out for the JT, if you need a bed
That’s what I’m trying to do. I’d be ok with even a 1-2k but if need be. That’s how bad I want a JL lol.

ale214

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Put me down as a yes if the money works out. I went from 2011 JKUS to 2014 JKUR to a 2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad. Only used it as a truck once and that was almost 2 years ago. I got the itch once the girlfriend started looking at jeeps and never looked back. It just feels better.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

That’s what I’m trying to do. I’d be ok with even a 1-2k but if need be. That’s how bad I want a JL lol.
Tacomas have one of the highest resale values on any vehicle on the market. might be a little tougher since yours is so new that its competing against brand new tacos. people will be thinking, i can get a brand new, 0 miles truck for $1k more?

id see what carmax would give you. they'd be drooling over that truck just like they would be over a new JL lol. id also see what kind of deal the Jeep dealer would be willing to make with you. the dealers know that Tacos are golden. they'd probably have it sold before you even finished the paperwork on your new JL lol.

of course, other factors come in to play. i know in some states, if you're trading in a vehicle towards a new one they can do some magic with the sales tax or something.

i got my jeep during memorial day weekend (week later actually). lots of jeep dealers were having big sales. i got mine for about $3k off msrp. labor day is around the corner..... dealership are often trying to push as many vehicles out the door during those big sales too. so theyre highly motivated to wheel and deal

Sponsored

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
No way! I’ve only put a mere 3k miles on the taco and the JL looks to be much better in every way like you said!
At this point, I’m just trying to sell/trade the Taco at a reasonable price to recoup the loss.
Purchased my Taco at $42K or so, and sold it at $41K if I recall correctly. Not bad at all

But I did have the leverage of it being a rare Manual trans Pro in Cavalry Blue

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
How upside down are you in the Taco? Doesn't matter that it only has 3K on it. It is a used car that has depreciated. You'll either have to roll the depreciation into the new loan or come up with more cash. Doesn't make economic sense. You might be better off driving the Taco until JLs start hitting the used market. But if your cash flow allows you to do the deal now, ignore my comments.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
And the top comes off without a Sawzall!

OP
OP

redrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
How upside down are you in the Taco? Doesn't matter that it only has 3K on it. It is a used car that has depreciated. You'll either have to roll the depreciation into the new loan or come up with more cash. Doesn't make economic sense. You might be better off driving the Taco until JLs start hitting the used market. But if your cash flow allows you to do the deal now, ignore my comments.
My Taco is all paid for. But I hear ya though. I really don’t wanna spend anymore money but I know that’s pretty hard at this point. I haven’t seen any used JLs available. No surprise.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Nice! Yes that’s how I feel like in my Tacoma now. Ergonomics are just off in it.
I haven’t towed nor do I plan to tow any time soon.
What kind of JL did you go with?
Shahara. Black. Love it.

E58BC9B0-DDFA-4541-BA12-DDAA0663D077.jpeg
Sponsored