@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Sold my '17 Tacoma TRD for the JL Rubicon. Been a Tacoma guy for 15yrs & don't regret the decision. What kind of 'loaded' truck doesn't have leather these days & easy way to add a remote start!? LOL

Now I just need to figure out how to haul stuff on the JL that I used to just trow in the back of the truck...
Gobi Rack seems like a good option. Mine is one the way.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, Dealers make money off the finance. They give you one rate, but take a bit off the top for themselves.

So that old story of being a cash buyer is better is false these days. If you have to finance to get the deal, do so, and (make sure there are no penalties for paying off early) then just pay it off the next day.
Better read the fine print. They don't just skim some of the interest, they add fees right and left, including fees at payoff. The best thing you can do is take a loan calculator and verify their numbers. Usually, when you pull out a loan calculator, they'll start fidgeting or act like they made a mistake or typo and fix it. They have all kinds of ways to play with numbers. I doubt the real price difference between those dealers is that different, once the loan is paid off.

albatross

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 1993 YJ
....So, would I be crazy to sell/trade the Tacoma for JLU? My taco is fully paid for and I’m trying to break even on the pricing for a JLU....
I dont think so. In fact, that's exactly what I did. I liked the Tacoma but there were a few things I just couldnt get over. As mentioned by others, the driving position felt a bit strange.

I'm very happy I made the switch.

Good luck

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Better read the fine print. They don't just skim some of the interest, they add fees right and left, including fees at payoff. The best thing you can do is take a loan calculator and verify their numbers. Usually, when you pull out a loan calculator, they'll start fidgeting or act like they made a mistake or typo and fix it. They have all kinds of ways to play with numbers. I doubt the real price difference between those dealers is that different, once the loan is paid off.
It almost always is best to pay cash for a car. Hell, it’s almost always better to pay cash for everything.

In one rare case it was better to lease a Yukon than to buy it outright, but that was only because GM had special incentives that only applied to a lease. Every single other vehicle I’ve bought was bought with cash.

I’ve always felt like it’s better to be an interest collector than an interest payer. The trick is to aggressively save for your next vehicle and then save for the next one after that while you own the current one. Just pay yourself whatever the monthly payment would have been and you’ll have the nest egg to buy another one.

Plus, some dealerships will allow you to avoid the doc fee if you pay cash and agree to take the certificate of origin to the DMV to do your own tag and title work. You have to ask.

Dubya

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2000 TJ
Traded my 2011 Tacoma TRD Off-road with a 6 speed manual and couldn’t be happier. The only thing that it had that was better than my sport s is gearing and power. Man this thing is useless in 6th gear or really at any low rpms. Tacoma always had more power when you needed it. But it did have the off-road package with better gears. I’m sure if I had a rubicon it would be a different story.

Sponsored

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
Traded my 2011 Tacoma TRD Off-road with a 6 speed manual and couldn’t be happier. The only thing that it had that was better than my sport s is gearing and power. Man this thing is useless in 6th gear or really at any low rpms. Tacoma always had more power when you needed it. But it did have the off-road package with better gears. I’m sure if I had a rubicon it would be a different story.
Our 2012 Rubi manual was useless in 6th in Colorado unless you were going downhill or in Kansas headed east. Couldn't be happier with the 8 speed auto in the JLU. It always seems to be in the right gear or gets there very quickly. It doesn't hunt for the right gear. It will usually down shift one lower than I might have done manually. But it finds it's happy place very quickly.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Go for it! Life’s too short. I can’t speak specifically about the Tacoma, but I just traded a very nice ’16 Mustang convertible for a JLU Sport S. I took a big hit with depreciation. Someone told me once that if you stop washing your car, it means you don’t like it. That’s where I was with the Mustang. Everyone thought I was crazy because it was a very sharp car. I now smile when I see the Firecracker Red Wrangler in my garage.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Trade for the JL.

On your way home, stop and get a taco or 2, from taco bell.

Best of both worlds.

I'll be here all week, folks.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Gobi Rack seems like a good option. Mine is one the way.

If you've got the time @JayInNC, consider prototyping off my DIY roof rack. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-no-hole-roof-rails.10580/

Let me know if you need help.

BTW: the GOBI is awesome. I just rather spend its cost elsewhere and needed the rack now to take kids to college. The Gobi delivery was backlogged when I first considered ordering it. Plus, you can put crossmembers on mine wherever you (and your needs) want. I can open my Soft Top to any position, and take hard top Freedom Panels off, when I'm not using the rack's front crossmembers, removing them with an Allen wrench.

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
Thanks for all the input y’all.

So far I’ve got a private offer for my Tacoma for $37,000.
(I paid $38,800 after taxes and fees)

Or dealer trade for $35,000 w tax credit. (Tax is close to 10% here)

I’ve spoken to a few local dealers and im down to figuring out the right price.

Dealer 1 is offering $32,200 before tax for a JLU sport S with the Tech package. Fantastic price, however, I have to finance with them. (Not really wanting to finance)

Dealer 2 is offering the same JLU for $36,000.

Sounds like a no brainer but I can’t seem to understand why dealer 1 needs me to finance? Any ideas?
You're in a great position reselling or trading that Tacoma -- good for you! The JLU price difference is odd, but like others have said, I'd assume the dealer financing deal has fine print included in there. Either way, sounds like you're in great shape and will lose relatively little on the Tacoma.

Sponsored

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
I’m going to give you serious advise and you better listen. I did also have a 4Runner red pro.
As your first car daily driver, Tacoma hands down.
For weekend fun driver, wrangler hands down

The interior luxuries are much better in high trim rubicon’s and Sahara’s. But the sport and sport s just look crappy inside compared to taco ( I have sport btw)

If you drive more than 10 miles each direction on the freeway the wrangler will wear you down.

Taco and 4Runner trds are very boring as you can’t take the top , doors and windshield off.
Listen to my advise carefully, if you get a wrangler as your second car you are going to love it. Lift it, big tires, no worry about drivability or the gas mileage . If you get it as your first car you are going to regret it.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Hi all,

I’ve got a 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport that’s a fully loaded. However, I use to own a JK 2 door and now, seeing all the JLs out and about, it has got me itching to get back into a Jeep.
And to be honest. Idk what all the hype is about for the Tacoma because it’s not very impressive.
My wife was super impressed with the new JL. It drives, feels, and looks light years better than the old jk and my Toyota.

So, would I be crazy to sell/trade the Tacoma for JLU? My taco is fully paid for and I’m trying to break even on the pricing for a JLU.
So end state would be a JLU Sport S vs my fully loaded taco.
Hey Red,

Same decision process (recently). I had a 17’ TRD Off-road that I leased as a bridge vehicle while waiting for the JL to hit the lots. I was pretty sure I wanted a Wrangler. Had test driven the JK multiple, multiple times and always walked away thinking, its ok. Then, test drove a white on white on white JL Rubi and was sold! Same day put $$$ down to hold in in-transit JLUR in Stingrey (had a Cement FJ love the grey). Took delivery about 2 months ago and all never looked back.
We lease and have leased for over 20 years now. If trade in values, reliability, etc. are important, (Ill prob get hate for this) but, Toyota generally wins that race. However, because my wife and I lease everything, the cars are usually gone before the factory warranty is gone = we do not really spend that a lot of time considering reliability. Short version, the JL is still very new, there is not a lot of significant data that supports long term reliability, resale, etc.
Anyway, to your question, go drive one! Sport, Sahara, Rubi whatever and you will notice all of the differences. The immediate improvements I found important:
Looks cooler, will do things the Taco will not, better in head unit, BS aside the JL is getting the same or better mpg (at Rubi with steel bumpers and hard top and ko2s) compared to TRD off-road with factory Wrangler Kevlar, better ride (the Rubi has a stiffer feeling suspension than the TRD off-road does), better seating position, the engine and transmission in the JL is leaps and bounds better feeling to drive than the Taco - I put in about 40 miles per day on the highway at 75+ the Rubi’s cruise control locks a gear and goes the Taco was up down up down up down to the point where I stopped using cruise on the Taco and and happy as hell that i could start using it again in the JL, Taco JBL < JL Alpine system, heads up display has better resolution, my taco felt like a dog on the highway and on the the streets (acceleration) the JL is almost too jumpy (torquey) on the low end - its jumpy with the gas in a good way, the taco was sluggish. Blah blah blah ,basically the JL is more fun to drive and we off-road every opportunity we get so that is better to drive on and off-road.
If you take nothing from this post and all of the others who have responded - go drive a JL (sport, Shara, etc - doesn’t matter) you will feel the difference in how it feels to drive. That will help you make a decision.

- great question, hopefully any/all of this helps.

- also! First Post! :)

25B33FCD-47AC-4890-BF85-33E554D01EB1.jpeg

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going to give you serious advise and you better listen. I did also have a 4Runner red pro.
As your first car daily driver, Tacoma hands down.
For weekend fun driver, wrangler hands down

The interior luxuries are much better in high trim rubicon’s and Sahara’s. But the sport and sport s just look crappy inside compared to taco ( I have sport btw)

If you drive more than 10 miles each direction on the freeway the wrangler will wear you down.

Taco and 4Runner trds are very boring as you can’t take the top , doors and windshield off.
Listen to my advise carefully, if you get a wrangler as your second car you are going to love it. Lift it, big tires, no worry about drivability or the gas mileage . If you get it as your first car you are going to regret it.
I use my rubicon as a daily driver and don't get worn out at all. Make regular 400 mile trips for work and love it and don't get worn out. Sold my GMC Canyon to get the wrangler and no regrets - super happy.
Sponsored