Sponsored

Should I Flat Tow my JL from MS to MT?

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! looking rig.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jchaisson

jchaisson

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
We check into towing our Jeep behind a rented RV for a trip out West. Absolutely no one will rent a RV and allow the Jeep to be towed. All the rental places we contacted said the Jeep and trailer were to heavy. We are going to trailer the Jeep behind our truck and stay in motels.
We are considering FLAT towing the Jeep. We wouldn't be using a trailer.

OP
OP
jchaisson

jchaisson

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
We are actually looking at renting through RVshare.com. It's a private owner renting deal, similar to air bnb or Turo. We are looking at a few class A RVs or motorhomes. The owners that I have spoken to so far have no issues with towing.

We looked into RVshare. The insurance company excluded towing. Double check. You don’t want to be buying a Motor Coach.
How did you get that information about the insurance? Was it from RV Share, or your insurance company? I've spoken to numerous owners that are ok with it. But I want to know for sure what the insurance company would say.

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBI 2dr 2.0t, 2014 CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK
I spent almost $5,000 to fully equip my 2018 JL Rubi for flat towing. The upside is that I can now tow it behind anything that has a two inch receiver hitch and a 7 pin connector. My brake package goes with the jeep and is wirelessly connected to the tow vehical with a slap on the dash transmitter in the tow vehical that takes about 1 minute to connect.

I have towed my JL about 4400 miles since march of this year (so far). Worth it to me. A small side note: my rubi odometer does not register the toad miles. They are free (warranty is mileage restricted) so I can 4 wheel in Arizona and then 4 wheel in Maine. The between mileage is free.

v/r rch

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
How did you get that information about the insurance? Was it from RV Share, or your insurance company? I've spoken to numerous owners that are ok with it. But I want to know for sure what the insurance company would say.
RV Shares insurance does not cover towing. Read the FAQ section. It clearly states they do not cover the RV if it is towing something. I thought we had run into owners who didn’t want anyone towing with their RV.

Sponsored

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
You need to get past (come up with a solution) for the towing behind a rented coach before deciding. If you still want to flat tow, at first I coughed up a hairball when I saw the poster who said it cost five grand - but then I remembered that although I have a portable braking device I throw in whatever I'm towing, I still have to add it to the cost since a Jeep weighs enough to where you need to have braking in it. That braking device is going to cost you at minimum a little over a grand. (being portable, there's no install cost) Then you have to have the tow bar (another seven hundred or so), and then the mounting brackets on the Jeep to connect that tow bar to, and the wiring to plug the coach into the Jeep with so you will have brake and running and turn signal lights on the Jeep when it's being towed - those brackets and wiring cost me nearly two grand recently. So you're easily looking at four grand minimum...yikes! (for just one trip).
Although it's no Jeep, Enterprise will come to most campgrounds and pick you up to rent a car from them - and they have some pretty inexpensive compact cars they rent for less than fifty a day. I'd be tempted to do that at the places you want a small vehicle to run around in - remembering that a lot of the time you're not going to want to go anywhere after arriving at the CG and setting up for the night. Then no insurance issues, no concerns about backing up the motorhome (99% of the tow bars for flat towing don't allow you to back up when connected), no additional fuel use when towing something as heavy as a Jeep, and no hassles connecting and disconnecting - not to mention not having to worry about lower speed limits in some states when towing.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Seems to me some RV Share owners will spot a camper/RV on a site for you. You never drive/tow anything. You could drive your Jeep on the whole vacation with multiple RVShare rentals across the country, mixed with hotel/motel stays.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I spent almost $5,000 to fully equip my 2018 JL Rubi for flat towing. The upside is that I can now tow it behind anything that has a two inch receiver hitch and a 7 pin connector. My brake package goes with the jeep and is wirelessly connected to the tow vehical with a slap on the dash transmitter in the tow vehical that takes about 1 minute to connect.

I have towed my JL about 4400 miles since march of this year (so far). Worth it to me. A small side note: my rubi odometer does not register the toad miles. They are free (warranty is mileage restricted) so I can 4 wheel in Arizona and then 4 wheel in Maine. The between mileage is free.

v/r rch
I'm just finishing up getting my JLUR tow ready. RVI brake unit $1200, Mopar tow light harness $350, RockHard Alum bumper $1400, LOD frame tie in brackets $100, Custom towbar lug plates $100. Miscellaneous tools and materials ~ $200 for self-install. So ~ $3500 and I did all the labor. Not far off your $5k estimate.
Sponsored