Should I Flat Tow my JL from MS to MT?

jchaisson

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
We are considering renting an RV to travel from Mississippi to Wyoming and Montana to visit some of the national parks. We'd like to take the Jeep along with us to do some trails and to have a way to get around. This will most likely be a one time deal so I'm trying to determine how much a SAFE and RELIABLE towing set-up would cost and if there are any other options to get the Jeep there. Thanks.
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Drive it and stay in a hotel? That's what my husband and I are planning for our trip out West next year. We debated the RV scenario, but decided against it. I think a few members have installed the Blue Ox system:like:

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
I love having the toad set up on mine. I tow it behind my motorhome every where.. Probably has more miles towed than driven. I even tow it with my truck to drop it off to get detailed.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Start with the RV. Many F350 chassis are barely adequate for the rated wet weight. F450 chassis probably has the extra capacity. Does the frame rails extend all the way to the rear of the RV? Not all have full frame rails. Will you have toad brakes? Some states require, others do not.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Start with the RV. Many F350 chassis are barely adequate for the rated wet weight. F450 chassis probably has the extra capacity. Does the frame rails extend all the way to the rear of the RV? Not all have full frame rails. Will you have toad brakes? Some states require, others do not.
I agree with this too... And regardless of the law make sure you have brakes. I do believe in all states a JLU would require brakes.

Sponsored

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
We check into towing our Jeep behind a rented RV for a trip out West. Absolutely no one will rent a RV and allow the Jeep to be towed. All the rental places we contacted said the Jeep and trailer were to heavy. We are going to trailer the Jeep behind our truck and stay in motels.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
OP said he's considering renting, so probably SOL too.

Last edited:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
And if they try to give you anything with the 3V V10.....good luck. What a raging pile that engine is.

OTOH sourdough wouldn't have even known his JL was back there with the Cummins

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
Here is my setup before we traded for the super C. I flat tow behind it now. Probably to much money for a one time shot.
IMG_0424.jpg
IMG_0510.jpg

OP
OP
jchaisson

jchaisson

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Thanks everyone. We are actually looking at renting through RVshare.com. It's a private owner renting deal, similar to air bnb or Turo. We are looking at a few class A RVs or motorhomes. The owners that I have spoken to so far have no issues with towing. My concern is the cost for the set-up for the one time deal.

Sponsored

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Thanks everyone. We are actually looking at renting through RVshare.com. It's a private owner renting deal, similar to air bnb or Turo. We are looking at a few class A RVs or motorhomes. The owners that I have spoken to so far have no issues with towing. My concern is the cost for the set-up for the one time deal.
Cost could be up to $5000 depending.

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
We are actually looking at renting through RVshare.com. It's a private owner renting deal, similar to air bnb or Turo. We are looking at a few class A RVs or motorhomes. The owners that I have spoken to so far have no issues with towing.

We looked into RVshare. The insurance company excluded towing. Double check. You don’t want to be buying a Motor Coach.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Holy chit I've never investigated such things obviously. OP I'd buy an 18' car hauler if true and have an investment for life!....and save a couple grand
Car haulers create their own issues and would probably exceed the 5000 pound tow rating of most motorhomes you'd rent not to mention the additional CVGW and tongue weight.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@zb39 Thats a nice rig. Here's mine

IMG_5471.PNG
Sponsored