Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Here we go, 275/70/R18 BFG KO2. Gives you about an extra inch of clearance under the pumpkins. 33” tires, I’ve lost a bit of articulation (they will rub the fenders at full flex, I think). I run them at 32 PSI cold.

410F8DB1-EB7A-48EB-86C4-41F9E3A4581E.jpeg
The stock tires will go all the way up to the fenders if you put a Rubicon suspension on as well.

IMG_6219.JPG
Sponsored

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
Great thread. I've been contemplating Rubicon take off wheels, bumpers, and suspension as well.

indlaxje

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a novice, but love to take the jeep, my DD, and drive around on the weekends...lots of dirt roads in NOVA, through the semi backwoods. I avoid serious mud, no climbing, etc. so I don't get stuck.

Anyway, we found a really long trail this weekend.... and it got me thinking.
Where are these dirt roads in NOVA?! I’m in the area as well and have been dying to find something close by to get off the pavement.

I’m on a stock Sahara setup currently but considering Rubi takeoffs until I can afford a lift and 35s.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Where are these dirt roads in NOVA?! I’m in the area as well and have been dying to find something close by to get off the pavement..
There are actually quite a few, and a relatively short drive from you all. If you haven't had a chance to try it yet, give the Peter's Mill Run a shot. It's a nice drive, and a decent trail, especially for feeling out the new Jeep. You can google it and get all the details, but it's in the National Forest near Woodstock/Edinburg. It's also one of the Jeep "Badge of Honor Trails" (which is kinda surprising as it's pretty light duty, but still cool that Virginia actually has one, and gets you a Badge as well.) There is also The Cove Campground, which has several off road trails and Jeep Weekends. It's located on Rt 50 West of Winchester... also a nice a little drive.

Happy to chat more, but these will get you started. Not sure of how they're operating with the COVID stuff right now but worth keeping an eye on.

OP
OP

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Where are these dirt roads in NOVA?! I’m in the area as well and have been dying to find something close by to get off the pavement.

I’m on a stock Sahara setup currently but considering Rubi takeoffs until I can afford a lift and 35s.
We found Chudleigh Farm Ln off of Oatlands Ln in Leesburg....... nice dirt road crossing an abandoned farm. Not great, but best one we found yet.

But yeh, NOVA sucks for lots of off-roading.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
There are actually quite a few, and a relatively short drive from you all. If you haven't had a chance to try it yet, give the Peter's Mill Run a shot. It's a nice drive, and a decent trail, especially for feeling out the new Jeep. You can google it and get all the details, but it's in the National Forest near Woodstock/Edinburg. It's also one of the Jeep "Badge of Honor Trails" (which is kinda surprising as it's pretty light duty, but still cool that Virginia actually has one, and gets you a Badge as well.) There is also The Cove Campground, which has several off road trails and Jeep Weekends. It's located on Rt 50 West of Winchester... also a nice a little drive.

Happy to chat more, but these will get you started. Not sure of how they're operating with the COVID stuff right now but worth keeping an eye on.
I wanted to hit Peter's Mill, but since it's a part, I believe it's Covad-Closed.
Thanks for the info on Cove.

It's just me an the wife, are the simple trails for stock Sahara?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to hit Peter's Mill, but since it's a part, I believe it's Covad-Closed.

You'll be surprised at what you can do with a Sahara stock.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I put rubicon take off wheels and 285/70-17 on my sport S. My speedo is 1mph slow now.

EF36118A-77E2-4B33-A52D-0C9F1E82564D.jpeg
That does add up after a while. Over the life of the tires your odometer will be off by about 1300 miles give or take.

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
That does add up after a while. Over the life of the tires your odometer will be off by about 1300 miles give or take.
Yeah I suppose 1300 less miles though.

I spend 80% of my driving below 40 mph so it doesnt bug me. If I go to 35’s or find a good deal on a programmer I’ll fix it.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I suppose 1300 less miles though.

I spend 80% of my driving below 40 mph so it doesnt bug me. If I go to 35’s or find a good deal on a programmer I’ll fix it.
Going up to 35s is where I would have an actual clearance benefit there. I figured I do all right on my 32s, and going to something a little wider and more agressive tread will be more beneficial than just going up to a 33 and only get a half inch taller.

Don't get me wrong, If I could find a good set of rubi takeoffs before they dissapear I would go that route. I do like those wheels.

Edit: Did those Wildpeaks come with the wheels or did you get them separately?

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....

The cove has several from fairly straightforward to fairly complex. You’d still be able to do well with a stock Sahara. No problem on Peters Mill either. You’ll have a lot of fun...

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Going up to 35s is where I would have an actual clearance benefit there. I figured I do all right on my 32s, and going to something a little wider and more agressive tread will be more beneficial than just going up to a 33 and only get a half inch taller.

Don't get me wrong, If I could find a good set of rubi takeoffs before they dissapear I would go that route. I do like those wheels.

Edit: Did those Wildpeaks come with the wheels or did you get them separately?
I bought the wheels without the tires. I bought the tires local so the shop would warranty them if needed. They are load range C and identical to what comes on a Gladiator Rubicon. They ride excellent at 36 psi.

I have these in a P-Rated on my pickup and they are stellar in snow.

I had 285/70-17 BFG AT’s on the jeep when I bought it. They were excellent but were load range E and a bad combo with the 4 door rubicon suspension on my 2 door. Stiff as heck.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Great thread. I've been contemplating Rubicon take off wheels, bumpers, and suspension as well.
Rubicon suspension only adds a half inch to Saharas.

I’m going to put a 2.5” lift into my Sahara eventually.
Sponsored