Sponsored

Should I change Tires - Show me - JLU Sahara, No Lift

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a novice, but love to take the jeep, my DD, and drive around on the weekends...lots of dirt roads in NOVA, through the semi backwoods. I avoid serious mud, no climbing, etc. so I don't get stuck.

Anyway, we found a really long trail this weekend.... and it got me thinking.

I have stock tires (Good Year All Terrain 255/70-18).

So the question is this.....would there be a much better tire, even bigger, for the stock wheels (don't want that expense)? But I definitely want something that may have better traction....

Also realize this is a daily driver. Feel free to show picts too....

thanks.
Sponsored

Slopeside

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Just get some Rubi take-offs then sell your original set to come out way ahead. I spent $1,200 for the full set of 5 (less than 500mi) and the rock rails off a JLUR and sold my JLUS wheels/tires for $500. It's a great investment and will tide you over until you're ready to lift and go even bigger.

5DS_5241.jpg

5DS_5300.jpg

AP-3.jpg

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
Hey Slopeside,
The Rubi take-offs look great on your rig. To what degree does it affect ride and milage?
Thanks

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I'm a novice, but love to take the jeep, my DD, and drive around on the weekends...lots of dirt roads in NOVA, through the semi backwoods. I avoid serious mud, no climbing, etc. so I don't get stuck.

Anyway, we found a really long trail this weekend.... and it got me thinking.

I have stock tires (Good Year All Terrain 255/70-18).

So the question is this.....would there be a much better tire, even bigger, for the stock wheels (don't want that expense)? But I definitely want something that may have better traction....

Also realize this is a daily driver. Feel free to show picts too....

thanks.
You can certainly use exactly what you have without much compromise.

however, I would second the idea of looking for Rubi takeoffs. They are available routinely and at some great prices, frankly. I really like the look of the stock Rubi wheels and KO2 tire combo. Buying just the tire wonā€™t work as the rubiā€™s are 17s. But, iā€™m guessing that for roughly the price of 5 new off-road tires, you can likely get 5 low mile Used KO2s and the stock rims (especially if you sell your stock tires).

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm planning on getting 275/65R18s Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain plus pretty soon. I'll post some pictures when I have them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I'm planning on getting 275/65R18s Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain plus pretty soon. I'll post some pictures when I have them.
why not go for 275/70? Looking forward the the pictures......

OP
OP

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Just get some Rubi take-offs then sell your original set to come out way ahead. I spent $1,200 for the full set of 5 (less than 500mi) and the rock rails off a JLUR and sold my JLUS wheels/tires for $500. It's a great investment and will tide you over until you're ready to lift and go even bigger.
I was considering that too. I have a lease - which is not the sole reason.... the biggest problem is there's not many Rubi take-off in Northern VA. But I'll keep my eyes open

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
why not go for 275/70? Looking forward the the pictures......
pricing mainly. I'd need to either get a Tazer JL or the speedometer cailbrated and that pushes the cost to more than I am looking to pay right now. Its also my daily driver so I'm not looking to get the Jeep any taller as well.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

pricing mainly. I'd need to either get a Tazer JL or the speedometer cailbrated and that pushes the cost to more than I am looking to pay right now. Its also my daily driver so I'm not looking to get the Jeep any taller as well.
if you have 6speed you should be fine for awhile without the speedo change.

to the OP rubi takeoffs all day. i grabbed wheels,tires, suspension, and stock rubi rock rails off a rubi for unter 1400bucks best thing i did so far. Here is a pic of smokey in Sedona on Broken arrow

IMG_6691.JPG

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
if you have 6speed you should be fine for awhile without the speedo change.

to the OP rubi takeoffs all day. i grabbed wheels,tires, suspension, and stock rubi rock rails off a rubi for unter 1400bucks best thing i did so far. Here is a pic of smokey in Sedona on Broken arrow

IMG_6691.JPG
I've got the 8 speed, but I'd still rather keep my gauges accurate if I were to go to a taller tire.

Sponsored

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18ā€™ JLU SAHARA
Sorry this is the only shot I have 315/70R17 Vision Warrior wheels with Duratracs. Setup works for me (primarily D.D.) and NO lift.

BB5E7123-C86F-4C44-B3EC-9AB691FDB62F.jpeg

FF0E2812-00C5-4575-BA68-2DE264ACF542.jpeg

Slopeside

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Hey Slopeside,
The Rubi take-offs look great on your rig. To what degree does it affect ride and milage?
Thanks
Louder but not noticeably. Ride I don't notice a difference but came from Yokohama Geolander ATs on my Grand Cherokee and KO2s before that so this is what I'm used to.

I have the 2.0 and avg. anywhere from 18-24mpg (better than my old V6 GC). Still has soo much pep that if I give it slightly too much gas from a stop-turn it will peel out.

All well worth it for the performance.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Here we go, 275/70/R18 BFG KO2. Gives you about an extra inch of clearance under the pumpkins. 33ā€ tires, Iā€™ve lost a bit of articulation (they will rub the fenders at full flex, I think). I run them at 32 PSI cold.

410F8DB1-EB7A-48EB-86C4-41F9E3A4581E.jpeg

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I was considering that too. I have a lease - which is not the sole reason.... the biggest problem is there's not many Rubi take-off in Northern VA. But I'll keep my eyes open
Iā€™m a fellow nova JLU Sahara owner. I feel your pain about slim pickings on rubicon take off wheels and tires. I finally found a set myself about 6 weeks ago. My advice is to stay patient. There arenā€™t a ton listed, but they pop up. Keep the faith!

OP
OP

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m a fellow nova JLU Sahara owner. I feel your pain about slim pickings on rubicon take off wheels and tires. I finally found a set myself about 6 weeks ago. My advice is to stay patient. There arenā€™t a ton listed, but they pop up. Keep the faith!
LMAO. tried that with a steel bumper. Lost my patients... best mod I could have done.
Sponsored