Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This is the first I’m hearing about this. I thought all Wranglers 2018+ had the same parts. What’s the updated steering box?
A new steering box made of cast iron started being used in lieu of the aluminum one used on 2018-2020 JLs.

There is TSB out there.
Jeep Wrangler JL Should I buy New or Used 1619469812576
Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Used prices seem pretty darn high to me. I’d shop around and get new for the same $$. may as well get the warranty and whole new car thing vs potentially getting someone else’s problems, esp given the amount of $$$ the used ones are going for. You may have to shop around and even go out of state to find what you want, but that’s really no reason not to. I’ve went out of state on Several new vehicles. Money talks and if the locals won’t come close to matching my best price I’ve found, I’m gone.

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

This is the first I’m hearing about this. I thought all Wranglers 2018+ had the same parts. What’s the updated steering box?
They updated the 2021 models with a cast iron steering box. I test drove a ton of Jeep’s and encountered some that drove awful with Inches of play in the steering wheel. I held out till they had a fix. My Jeep drives fantastic.

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
I’m currently trying to decide between buying used or new due to the high resale value of the Wrangler.

I live downtown and work downtown so my M-F commute is a 5 min walk. I would primarily drive during the week to run errands, if needed, but it would mostly be driven on the weekend for road trips, off-road activities and hanging out with friends/family. If an opportunity to buy a house arises, my commute could potentially change which a 4xe would really be beneficIal for but that probably wont happen until next fall at the earliest.

I’ve been checking out the used car inventory and have found some 2018 JL wranglers in the $35k-$39k range with less than 45k miles. Which could potentially be negotiated to knock around $3k off the price. After hearing about the rebate on the 4xe, at the end of the day it would potentially cost $45k and if possible be negotiated closer to $41k. Depending on the used car and negotiations, they might not be far off in price.

Any suggestions on which route i should go based on this?
I am in the exact same boat. I have a signed deal with deposit on a 2018 Sport S manual soft top with only 22K miles. They priced it at 30K (insanely high when considering the sticker new was 32,500.) and I had zero leverage in negotiations. There were guys lined up behind me wanting to buy it. So I reluctantly put down a deposit only to learn days later, after it had been through the CPO prep, that it had a stop sale order due to clutch recall so couldn’t be delivered. The dealership ordered a new 2021 with exact same spec, knocked 2K off sticker so out the door +4K over the used - no obligation to buy it. I have time to decide since neither will be available for many weeks, possibly months.

RPS1030

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buggy
We went used on our 19 JLUR last summer since it was a hidden jem. Non-Jeep dealer had it listed and priced as Manual Trans, therefore we had overlooked it for about a week.

Ended up with mostly fully loaded Rubicon (every package except Leather; color matched fenders, and black hardtop as we prefered) for a noticable amout less than we were seeing new basic optioned Rubicons in the area. My Credit Union has competitive rates, plus a rate discount given my member rewards at that time.

Given inventory levels and pricing, it would be tough to pull the same trigger (or at all probably) currently.

Sponsored

Bloody Marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP 2 DR WILLYS 21, CHEVY TRAIL BOSS 19
I sell vehicles. Buy a new one. Supply & demand is in play right now, used vehicles are high.......... (higher than a Colorado school teacher). You get the full warranty & it hasn't had the piss beat out of it.
No question.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
CPO, all the way. You get an extension to the warranty and the depreciation is paid by someone else. Deals are out there, you just have to look and act as soon as they pop up. Here is mine:

9F7BBC75-9A4C-4494-973B-736E314DF7B5.png

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
That's a good deal, but it just depends on where you are.

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
What do you want? Your build or someone else's?
Unless the build is exactly what you wanted and is in like new condition. The one I found (2018 2 door Sport S manual) was serviced regularly on recommended schedule and garage kept. After it went through the shop to meet CPO standards, it was detailed and honestly, looks and drives like brand new. Price is 91% of original sticker. I have never seen value retention like this.

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
CPO, all the way. You get an extension to the warranty and the depreciation is paid by someone else. Deals are out there, you just have to look and act as soon as they pop up. Here is mine:
Orlando dealer... I can see it now, price doesn’t include $2,000 trade assistance, dealer fees or $500 dealer finance discount.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Orlando dealer... I can see it now, price doesn’t include $2,000 trade assistance, dealer fees or $500 dealer finance discount.
Man someone is making lemonade LoL. None of that occurred; seems they had trouble selling it because it was a stick.
Took all the money I saved from my budget and made the Jeep the exact way I wanted it.

All said and done (bumpers, wheels, lights, you name it) I’m still at 29k.

All the best and good luck with your search!

2DEA5B90-F5E7-4D2A-AA83-4D73DA433569.jpeg
Sponsored