Should I buy New or Used

iwillwillu

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I’m currently trying to decide between buying used or new due to the high resale value of the Wrangler.

I live downtown and work downtown so my M-F commute is a 5 min walk. I would primarily drive during the week to run errands, if needed, but it would mostly be driven on the weekend for road trips, off-road activities and hanging out with friends/family. If an opportunity to buy a house arises, my commute could potentially change which a 4xe would really be beneficIal for but that probably wont happen until next fall at the earliest.

I’ve been checking out the used car inventory and have found some 2018 JL wranglers in the $35k-$39k range with less than 45k miles. Which could potentially be negotiated to knock around $3k off the price. After hearing about the rebate on the 4xe, at the end of the day it would potentially cost $45k and if possible be negotiated closer to $41k. Depending on the used car and negotiations, they might not be far off in price.

Any suggestions on which route i should go based on this?
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I went new, only because I never owned a new car before my Jeep... Resale value made it seem logical or I don't feel as guilty. Also I wanted something hard to find, base model 2 door Rubicon with a manual.

I would also consider financing options, you may get better rates on a new one. But overall, I wouldn't settle for a used car to save a few grand. If you really want the 4xe, I say get it.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
For what it's worth the used market seems inflated. I just sold my 2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport w/17K miles for $1600 more than I paid brand new. There are lots of new dealers out there that will sell for 4-7% under invoice. Seems like a better way to go to me.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Used 2018-2019 bring in the aluminum steering box issue, not to mention quickly approaching the end of the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. Personally if I wasn't saving at least $8k I wouldn't even consider used.

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

I had a dealer near me that does 8% off invoice. It was a no brainer for my scenario to go new since used were more expensive. I also wanted the updated steering box that the 2021s have.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
We bought our Gladiator new last September (2020). I was originally looking for used. However, the used options (>10K miles) were going for more than what I could get a comparative new vehicle for w/ dealer incentives.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I had a dealer near me that does 8% off invoice. It was a no brainer for my scenario to go new since used were more expensive. I also wanted the updated steering box that the 2021s have.

What dealer is that? did they give you 8% off invoice by themselves or did you have an affiliate code + tread lightly affiliate code?

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

What dealer is that? did they give you 8% off invoice by themselves or did you have an affiliate code + tread lightly affiliate code?
It took tread lightly and using their financing for 6 months. I plan to pay it off in 6 months so financing didn’t matter to me. Jim Butler Dodge Jeep Ram in Linn Mo.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
New always has much better interest rates. If youre a cash buyer go used. But if youre gonna finance then you should compare brand new to used.
Give you an example.

My jeep was 75k new. Ill pay 10k interest

A truck i almost bought was same price but used, But id have paid 28k interest at 6%. Fuck that.

Sponsored

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It took tread lightly and using their financing for 6 months. I plan to pay it off in 6 months so financing didn’t matter to me. Jim Butler Dodge Jeep Ram in Linn Mo.
Ah okay, did you work with Steve? Good to hear there's no early payoff penalty, I don't like paying banks interest!

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
The used market is absolutely nuts right now. My Jeep is worth roughly 7k more than I spent new if I private sell, and my nissan went from being worth 5k to 7k within a few weeks. I'd go new, or hold off.

Last edited:

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'm completely happy that I bought a new 2020. Before that, I was looking at a lightly used 2018, in a color I didn't like, without options I wanted (figured I could modify it, no problem).

In the end, used wasn't a good enough savings for me. It made sense to me to buy what I wanted (even a little more than I wanted), rather than settle, because I am planning a long ownership experience.

But buying wasn't easy for me...since I'm a cheap bastard, I was pretty much asked to leave every local dealership I visited, and there are a lot of local dealerships in Southern California. I ended up getting the deal I wanted from a dealership 200 miles away. Totally worth the drive, love my Jeep.

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

Ah okay, did you work with Steve? Good to hear there's no early payoff penalty, I don't like paying banks interest!
Yes i did. Yep I had the same concerns but no payoff penalty. I financed through them with Ally.

OP
OP
iwillwillu

iwillwillu

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
This is the first I’m hearing about this. I thought all Wranglers 2018+ had the same parts. What’s the updated steering box?
Sponsored