Sponsored

Should I buy a '18 JLUR or not? Concerned about reported steering issues..

Danimalnutz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Mojito Rubicon 4dr Soft Top
Other than overinflated tires at the dealership I have have zero steering issues and absolutely love my JL

Ledpaddle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I was planning to trade in my 2015 Silverado and purchase a new 2018 JLUR, but after reading about the steering, welds, no start, e-locker issues, etc I'm hesitant to buy one. My Silverado has no problems at all..but it's not trail friendly and that's what I want the Jeep for.

Do all of the new JL's have the sloppy/wandering steering issues, or is it just some of them?

I'm going to test drive the JLUR that I plan on buying and if it has sloppy steering I won't buy it. Maybe I'll get lucky and the JLUR that I have my eye on will be a "good one." I would wait for a 2019 but I don't want BSG that might be on the 2019's..

Are there JL's out there that don't have these issues?
I have a new JLUS. I waited a long time to get it because of the problems with the 2.0L engine. I was probably one of he last people to get a model year 2018 Wrangler. The steering is positively horrible at highway speeds. The dealers tell me that nobody is having steering problems. The answer I got from one service department is "It drives just like every other Jeep." This is, of course, BS. I am wondering if there is a way to check the steering other than having a tech drive it to see if he agrees with you? So, NO, I would not buy a Jeep JL until somebody at Jeep deals with this issue.

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
I have a new JLUS. I waited a long time to get it because of the problems with the 2.0L engine. I was probably one of he last people to get a model year 2018 Wrangler. The steering is positively horrible at highway speeds. The dealers tell me that nobody is having steering problems. The answer I got from one service department is "It drives just like every other Jeep." This is, of course, BS. I am wondering if there is a way to check the steering other than having a tech drive it to see if he agrees with you? So, NO, I would not buy a Jeep JL until somebody at Jeep deals with this issue.

Yea still no real data on how many are affected. More abs more are being reported and our resource is mostly the forum. Thereā€™s many that have this issue that havenā€™t been reported on this forum.

All first year runs have some sort of bugs to work out, thatā€™s why I bought my jku in 2014. Itā€™s just a shame the issues on the Jl are safety related
Sponsored