Should I be Worried? See pic...

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Let it simmer for a bit. Off-roading with water flushes through these seep holes. Makes it seem worse than it is. Bumping and flexing can cause oil to get past the RMS and mixing with muddy water will make it seem worse than it is. Clean it up and drive it in the dry weather for a few days. If it stays dry, then it was a product of your adventure. If oil persists, then take it in under warranty. Dont let the service guys give you grief for taking it in the mud. That's the first step in warranty claim denial 101. Persist and they will fix.
Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
it might be upper oil pan. mine was cracked after the clutch recall. leak exactly like yours.

OP
OP
thefrog

thefrog

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6 speed manual
I read through some of the other threads with this issue. It's astonishing to me that these dealer techs can claim that driving through mud results in warranty denial. Especially for a seal. You don't need a Jeep, or to go off road for that matter to drive through some mud. In my case, I just drove through a few dirty water puddles.

Also, the tail gate actually displays a water fording guide for christ sake! These things are advertised as "trail rated". Just look at these pictures...

Last edited:
OP
OP
thefrog

thefrog

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6 speed manual
@thefrog One person said his was leaking because the dealer put way too much oil in during his/her oil change. Have you checked your oil level or had the oil changed recently?
[/QUOTE]

That is my case right there. However, I'm sure when they corrected the overfill that there was no documentation on their end to support that it ever even happened...

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Dealers all over the nation are putting 6 quarts of oil in the JL. The JL takes five quarts of oil. What does all the excessive oil cause. Exsessive pressure in the crankcase. What does that excessive pressure cause................. well main seal leaks is a common symptom of excessive crank case pressure from being overfilled with oil...... Just saying.

Here is a decent article explaining what excessive oil in an engine can cause.

https://oards.com/too-much-oil/

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
@thefrog One person said his was leaking because the dealer put way too much oil in during his/her oil change. Have you checked your oil level or had the oil changed recently?
That is my case right there. However, I'm sure when they corrected the overfill that there was no documentation on their end to support that it ever even happened...
[/QUOTE]

Your receipt will show how many quarts of oil they added during the oil change.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Every other oil change I have the dealership do so I have service records. Because of all the overfill and other stories I’ve read here here’s what I did when I picked up the Jeep in the afternoon. Right in their parking lot.
A) open the hood, check that the oil filter cap isn’t loose or wet with oil.
B) check if the oil is clean and not overfilled. Also make sure nothing is left under your hood.
C) check the drain plug and make sure it’s not dripping.
If you really want to be safe, check your drain plug and filter cap again when you get home.

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
That's almost definitely Rear Main Seal leakage. Probably not something you want to do yourself unless you have a lift, and equipment to support the transmission once it's unbolted...

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
[/QUOTE]

I understand the oil level being to high is absolutely bad. Just keep in mind how traveling steep inclines can move the oil to the rear or front on the engine and oil does mostly cover the front or rear seals. It's not hurting the seals to be submerged in oil. The oil getting through can be a result of improper installation or a failing seal and not simply over filling.

Although a bad seal is more evident from an over filled oil level or steep inclines.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Was at Rausch Creek yesterday doing some harder greens and lighter blues. Drove home this morning, 2.5 hours back to NJ. No issues on the drive home at all. Just smooth sailing.

Anyway when I got home, I did my usual full undercarriage inspection and discovered this dark fluid seeping (not dripping or leaking) from these 2 holes at the bottom of the manual transmission. I don’t know what they are or what they’re for...

Any thoughts?

IMG_6130.jpeg
I just looked underneath my Jeep today and have similar oil leaking and never been in the mud or deep water. 2019 JLUR with 20K miles and haven't been hard on my Jeep.

This is a major repair and shouldn't be happening in less than two years.

Beginning to miss my 2016 JKUR.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

had mine replaced at 5K miles. dealer didn't believe me when i took it in because of the mileage on my jeep at the time. i told them i put an inspection cam in the inspection port.... (rubber plug) plain as day. didn't argue one bit. took about a week to get the part and a day for them to install and "test" have not had an issue since. 10K miles on the new seal

OP
OP
thefrog

thefrog

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6 speed manual
Well today is the day I bring my JLUR in to the Dealership to look at that leak. I’m dreading it…

I’m almost certain I will be denied warranty service just based on what the undercarriage looks like in general.

There are many rock-rash areas like scrapes on the front and rear diff, front and rear control arm mounts and all of the the skid plates including some minor dings and scratches on the rock rails. There is also lots of dried dirt on just about every surface under the Jeep. Would be pointless to even attempt a power wash without getting it up on a proper lift. I’m too old to crawl around under it like that for prolong periods of time anyway…

So I’ve been off road with it about 5 or 6 times since I’ve owned it. 22K miles. Nothing too serious… And that’s what these things are advertised to do right? That’s why most of us here buy them. That’s what all those factory skid plates are for right? That’s why the tail gate placard says you can drive in up to 30” of water right?

So consequently, there is clear and apparent evidence of this spelled out right under my Jeep. As if written by the cold, hard and unyielding hands of the rocks themselves. A love letter if you will…

My only ray of hope is that there are no scrapes anywhere at all at the point where it’s leaking or anywhere on the actual transmission itself, drive shafts or oil pan.

But I think I’m in trouble here… We shall see.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Well, your most recent post is a different story. Last week, you said that you had just driven through a few dirty water puddles. Now you're saying that there is dried on dirt, scratches, scrapes and dings underneath. Hopefully, they are a very understanding dealer but it doesn't sound good.

Stefano5777

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vm.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Stingray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Rear main seal. That's not from trail damage. Before you take it to the dealer you need to thoroughly wash under your Jeep. Those weasels at Jeep might deny your warranty claim if you've driven it in mud. Another member is going through that scenario right now.
Make sure you thoroughly clean the underside and clean inside the 2 holes as well. I had a similar issue last month and spent hours cleaning underside only to have dealer state that where the tranny meets the rear of engine was caked full of mud. Was an ordeal to get it covered under warranty.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Dan, I just went to your original post to look at that picture. That leak is coming from the center of your engine where the crankshaft spins. Sorry but there’s no rock that can get up in there to damage that seal.
If they give you crap tell them to show you where on the drivetrain do they see damage. Because unless your transmission or engine is all banged up, I can’t see how a main seal leak is negligence. You can’t be nice in these situations. If you give them an out they’re gonna take it.
Go there and say do you have my warranty information or should I bring in my original paperwork? If they say this is gonna cost you then I’d say I’m sending those pictures to Stellantis and taking them to a lawyer.
Good luck buddy. Keep us posted.
Sponsored