Should I be Worried? See pic...

thefrog

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6 speed manual
Was at Rausch Creek yesterday doing some harder greens and lighter blues. Drove home this morning, 2.5 hours back to NJ. No issues on the drive home at all. Just smooth sailing.

Anyway when I got home, I did my usual full undercarriage inspection and discovered this dark fluid seeping (not dripping or leaking) from these 2 holes at the bottom of the manual transmission. I don’t know what they are or what they’re for...

Any thoughts?

Jeep Wrangler JL Should I be Worried? See pic... IMG_6130
Sponsored

Last edited:

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Rear main seal. That's not from trail damage. Before you take it to the dealer you need to thoroughly wash under your Jeep. Those weasels at Jeep might deny your warranty claim if you've driven it in mud. Another member is going through that scenario right now.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Rear main seal. That's not from trail damage. Before you take it to the dealer you need to thoroughly wash under your Jeep. Those weasels at Jeep might deny your warranty claim if you've driven it in mud. Another member is going through that scenario right now.
Doesn’t the other member have an automatic tranny though? Not that it makes any difference.

And OP, yeah there’s obviously no signs of physical damage on the tranny case at all so you didn’t hit the tranny on any rocks, this had nothing to do with you.

OP
OP
thefrog

thefrog

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6 speed manual
Thank you! I won’t be able to get it over for service for at least another week. I don’t know how long it’s been seeping like that but I guess I can presume that since there is no fluid on my driveway that I’ve got a bit of time yet… Hopefully.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I've been following the other thread and was wondering what year JL you have and how many miles are on it?

On the 4.0's, this is pretty common. I haven't been following the 3.6's but it's starting to get a little concerning see these pop up week after week.

Sponsored

OP
OP
thefrog

thefrog

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6 speed manual
I've been following the other thread and was wondering what year JL you have and how many miles are on it?

On the 4.0's, this is pretty common. I haven't been following the 3.6's but it's starting to get a little concerning see these pop up week after week.
It’s a 2018 3.6 / 22K miles.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Now I'm going to have to check mine. Anyone know why the rear main seal is crapping out at less than 50k mi?

Also: link to the other thread?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Now I'm going to have to check mine. Anyone know why the rear main seal is crapping out at less than 50k mi?

Also: link to the other thread?
I couldn't find the thread I was specifically thinking about. I did a google search and found a whole handful of people with RMS leaks.

https://www.google.com/search?channel=fs&client=ubuntu&q=jeep+jl+rear+main+seal+warranty+mud

@thefrog One person said his was leaking because the dealer put way too much oil in during his/her oil change. Have you checked your oil level or had the oil changed recently?

OP
OP
thefrog

thefrog

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6 speed manual
I couldn't find the thread I was specifically thinking about. I did a google search and found a whole handful of people with RMS leaks.

https://www.google.com/search?channel=fs&client=ubuntu&q=jeep+jl+rear+main+seal+warranty+mud

@thefrog One person said his was leaking because the dealer put way too much oil in during his/her oil change. Have you checked your oil level or had the oil changed recently?
It wouldn’t be engine oil right? It would be transmission fluid no?

In any case, yes the dealer overfilled by a full quart when I got my oil changed a couple of months ago. First thing I did was check it when I got home. I drove back there right away and demanded they drain it and start over, which they did. They are so bad they don’t even know it’s not a JK, so they automatically put 6 quarts in… idiots.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
It wouldn’t be engine oil right? It would be transmission fluid no?

In any case, yes the dealer overfilled by a full quart when I got my oil changed a couple of months ago. First thing I did was check it when I got home. I drove back there right away and demanded they drain it and start over, which they did. They are so bad they don’t even know it’s not a JK, so they automatically put 6 quarts in… idiots.
Yeah, it's going to be engine oil. If you were to remove one of those two black plugs and put a borescope up there, you'd see where it was coming from. The engine and transmission mate at this junction with about 10 bolts. In simple terms, the output of the engine that turns the transmission, there's a seal there. That's called the rear main seal, and that's where it's leaking.

Sponsored

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Is this something people can replace on their own if they needed to or is it pretty involved?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Is this something people can replace on their own if they needed to or is it pretty involved?
Oh it can be done in a driveway for sure. Woudnt be fun. It's a 10 hour job "book time" iirc.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Oh it can be done in a driveway for sure. Woudnt be fun. It's a 10 hour job "book time" iirc.
Dang that sucks

I'm always worried about stuff happening and having to deal with a dealer. I guess that's the name of the game when you do a lift, gears, skids, bigger tires, off-road, etc

I've gone in some pretty deep mud also up to the door edge so hopefully the rear main doesn't crap out anytime soon. I have 14.5k miles currently.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Yeah, it's about a $700 dealer job, so probably about 6hrs. but that's if you have a lift and all the room that affords. My rubber caps have a bit of oil seepage, not enough to be too concerning yet. I've got 20k on my 2019 V6. If the oil leaks to the point it's leaving drops in my garage, or worse I'll take it in. I've got the extended warranty for 8 years, 60k miles so I'll for sure get it replaced prior to that even if the leak stays at it's current state.

Deleted member 53226

I am seeing this only with the 3.6's. I wonder is the 2.0 a different RMS design, or maybe I am just not noticing any 2.0 complaints. Really seems to be a Pentastar thing.
Sponsored