Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed this morning that this part of the exhaust has a little hole and there appears to be a leak. It’s relatively close to the actual exhaust end so I’m not sure if it is a big concern or not.

The image shows the hole I’m talking about.
BCDB8748-648D-42AA-91AA-8EA2ACACD6A6.jpeg
Sponsored

pkvir

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I would take it to the dealer and have them replace the muffler.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Not a big deal at all at least it will not harm anything to drive it and leave it.

That being said after spending that money on a brand new Jeep I would be showing it to dealer.

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Went to the stealership, and they said it was a completely normal thing. :swear:

Sponsored

BluegrassGal

Went to the stealership, and they said it was a completely normal thing. :swear:
Normal their a$$. Check 2 or 3 others to verify their claim. Only 2 holes in a muffler, entrance pipe and exit pipe. That hole must be noisy and would fail any State inspection.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
What is the name of the dealer?

The hole will let water/salt in and rust the muffler not only from the outside in, but the inside out. Not good. They better get you a new muffler. After that I would cut all ties with them and find a shop you can trust to do your maintenance.

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yep doesn’t seem “completely normal “ to me- take it to a few more dealers service centers and have them look at it- also a trusted 3rd party mechanic

I really don’t trust dealership service centers.

My 07 Dodge Caliber had Subframe issues and Daimler ( they were partnered with Mercedes at the time not Fiat) Chrysler extended the subframe warranty because they were aware of the problem- they put out an extended warranty about 5-6 years after I took ownership of the car in late 2006 ( a first year design model) BUT- every dealership service center gave me the “it’s fine “ routine. 3rd party mechanics told me it’s a problem. I got under there myself eventually and could definitely verify that it was indeed a MAJOR problem.

Eventually that extended warranty ran out - I tried talking with reps from FCA over the phone about it and they basically just told me I’m Shit outta luck because the warranty was expired by that time :mad: - the messed up part was it was only a few months over- but whatever.

So what’d I do? I just ordered the part off eBay for about $350 and looked up the procedure on YouTube and did it myself. Real pain in the @ss though, but I’m a DIY-er. I’ve done my own suspension, steering, nearly all or most of the routine and even some non routine maintenance stuff myself- saved a bundle over the years ( especially over what dealership service centers charge) and learned a thing or two. Of course having a free copy of the authentic Mopar service manual on PDF has definitely helped ;)

What a body shop would have charged like upwards of $2000 for ( or worse the dealers ) - ended up costing me about $400 in parts and tools ( tools I didn’t already have). Since I was under there anyway, I also replaced some other suspension stuff all for under around $500 + / -.

The original OEM subframe was NEVER COATED / PAINTED and it was almost falling apart from rust. The new subframe was painted black. It was only a matter of a short time before that could have become a major catastrophe for my vehicle and possibly my life. Bare Steel and northeastern climates don’t mix very well.

I will be writing a letter to FCA with pictures about that issue- they should refund me or credit something towards my next purchase - if they have any decency or even care about customer loyalty. Sure I did it myself at fractions of what I could have been charged, but the time, and labor were a real PITA and it’s something I shouldn’t have had to do myself in the first place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Normal? No.
Problem? No.
Smear a blob of JB Weld onto it, mushrooming the blog into the hole, and forget about it. If the dealership replaced that muffler they'd somehow screw up something forward of the front bumper which would require seventeen more visits to remedy.
What's JB? sorry for my ignorance..

Sponsored

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
YES JB weld would probably fix it, but I believe the real question is should he have to fix it himself? I’d say no. Manufacturer should be responsible for the quality of the product sold.

Otherwise refund some of the cost of the defective vehicle.

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Also looking closer at that “hole” I see what appears to be a Steel tab of some kind coming out - maybe it’s not actually a problem. Maybe there’s an outer and inner shell and that hole actually IS there for some reason

Maybe some other JL owners can get up under theirs and see if their muffler also has the same thing.

Pictures if possible

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
What's JB? sorry for my ignorance..
It's duck tape but better. I don't know why someone would suggest putting a band aid on the problem. Its a brand new vehicle. There should not be a big hole in the muffler. Make the dealer fix it the right way.